Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astral Projection

Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanth
The only thing to fear from Sleep Paralysis is your own imagination and what it has the potential to create for yourself. :)
In my experience you're right. When I drop all fear, the experience is usually fun. The hallucinations I get aren't scary or negative, they're fascinating, they only become scary if I make them out to be something bad. Not everyone has the same experience with SP though. Some people get strangled and even raped by an old hag or shadow entity. How can you expect them to remain calm? Also, when I was on ritalin for a year, the SP I got was different, it was of a very negative nature. Once I went into it, I'd get this blast of pure terror and dread for no apparent reason. Nowadays, I often don't even know I'm in SP until I try to move and realise I'm paralysed. The hallucinations I get aren't scary at all. Neurochemistry plays a huge role in the nature of the experiences you have with SP.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle
In my experience you're right. When I drop all fear, the experience is usually fun. The hallucinations I get aren't scary or negative, they're fascinating, they only become scary if I make them out to be something bad. Not everyone has the same experience with SP though. Some people get strangled and even raped by an old hag or shadow entity. How can you expect them to remain calm? Also, when I was on ritalin for a year, the SP I got was different, it was of a very negative nature. Once I went into it, I'd get this blast of pure terror and dread for no apparent reason. Nowadays, I often don't even know I'm in SP until I try to move and realise I'm paralyzed. The hallucinations I get aren't scary at all. Neurochemistry plays a huge role in the nature of the experiences you have with SP.

You are right not everybody is just experiencing SP, Old Hag has gone back to Ancient times of people experiencing this. I have had SP episodes that are nothing more than me being paralyzed, and I have had SP episodes where I am attacked. My astral body is attacked and thrown across the room, most of the time I don't even see anything when this happens. It is very closed-minded and pompous for one person to claim they know all the mysteries and answers regarding any subject including Sleep Paralysis. Just because your experiences are one way doesn't mean every one else's experiences are parallel. If I am lying to myself to scare the **** out of myself, then you are lying to comfort yourself.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Experiencer

Last night I had sleep paralysis without any hallucinations. I was on xanax. This always happens when I combine benzos with opiates. I get sleep paralysis but there are no hallucinations. If I'm just on opiates, I get bombarded by intense hallucinations. I don't think that this old hag is necessarily an entity. Maybe its just a hallucination. While I get a wide range of different hallucinations, there are some that are constant. For example, I always get prodded in the back by what feels like a bony finger. I always feel these pressure waves move over my legs and the rest of my body. I almost always feel hands grab me. The pressure wave things is pretty common, just about everyone gets that from what I hear. I don't know how common getting poked in the back is but I hear lots of people feel hands grabbing them. One horrible hallucination I get occasionally is this thing that feels like an etheric wasp stinging me in the spine. Its a horrible feeling. Kind of like getting a syringe in the back but not painful, just aggitating.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle
In my experience you're right. When I drop all fear, the experience is usually fun. The hallucinations I get aren't scary or negative, they're fascinating, they only become scary if I make them out to be something bad. Not everyone has the same experience with SP though. Some people get strangled and even raped by an old hag or shadow entity. How can you expect them to remain calm? Also, when I was on ritalin for a year, the SP I got was different, it was of a very negative nature. Once I went into it, I'd get this blast of pure terror and dread for no apparent reason. Nowadays, I often don't even know I'm in SP until I try to move and realise I'm paralysed. The hallucinations I get aren't scary at all. Neurochemistry plays a huge role in the nature of the experiences you have with SP.
Because once you understand what's going on in this state of mind, you're empowered to not only stop it... but to make sure it doesn't happen ever again.
Neurochemistry has nothing to do with *what* you'll experience in sleep paralysis. What determines your experience will be directly from your own mind... conscious or subconscious. That's where the fuel comes from.

Staying as calm and relaxed as you can allows you to keep control of your mind.

Also, if this is really something you don't want to experience any longer... to exit it and come back to the physical you need to focus entirely upon wiggling a single finger. Don't try to move everything... it's been found that focusing upon only a single finger will help with snapping you out of it faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Explorer
You are right not everybody is just experiencing SP, Old Hag has gone back to Ancient times of people experiencing this. I have had SP episodes that are nothing more than me being paralyzed, and I have had SP episodes where I am attacked. My astral body is attacked and thrown across the room, most of the time I don't even see anything when this happens. It is very closed-minded and pompous for one person to claim they know all the mysteries and answers regarding any subject including Sleep Paralysis. Just because your experiences are one way doesn't mean every one else's experiences are parallel. If I am lying to myself to scare the **** out of myself, then you are lying to comfort yourself.
And first of all, I'm not claiming to "know all the mysteries and answers regarding any subject".

Old Hag syndrome is a symptom of sleep paralysis.
Feeling like you're being held down is a symptom of sleep paralysis.

*sigh*

Yes, I do know what's happening to you. It IS sleep paralysis. You don't have to have studied it for years to know what's going on. Even though I have studied it for years as part of understanding astral projection.

Sleep Paralysis is a fairly common and mostly basic experience... and is a persons first direct experience of "thought = direct action" in relation to the non-physical.

Use my knowledge or not. It's entirely up to you. If you want to make this harder on yourself, by all means continue with your efforts which seem to be not working so well for you. There's nothing mystical or magical going on when you experience these things... it's simply you not staying calm and you're definitely NOT in control of your thoughts.

In this case, you are your own worst enemy... and by taking this egotistical stand, you're ensuring it never ends.

Just try it! Stay relaxed... stay in control of your mind... try not to react to any experience/event which is uncomfortable or attempts to scare you... TRUST ME.
Please. I *CAN* help you, but you have to let me. I'm not trying to sound like an *** here, I'm REALLY trying to help you with what I've learned over my life. I've helped many people on the Astral Pulse who have come with issues with Sleep Paralysis.

If you still don't want to even try my suggestion... then... at least I tried to help. At the very least, I invite you to come tell your story and ask for assistance on the Astral Pulse.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Administrator
Hello

The OLD Hag Syndrome

This is a form of sleep paralysis and it is very real and very unnerving .

It happens when the brain enters into REM sleep or is coming out of REM sleep. When it happens entering to sleep it is not so bad of a feeling more like the shutting down of the body. When one suddenly wakes with sleep paralysis and the brain has not had time to process the information then it can be down right scary.

One might at times feel pinned to the bed and this feeling of helplessness can lead into a panicked state and last for a few seconds of a few minutes BUT it seems like an eternity. This at times can be combined with vivid and at times graphic visual images. This is an almost hallucination state of being. This to could be liked to an OBE ( Out of Body) or Astral Travel experience where one has had a either a Sudden Exit or Sudden Re Entry event.

What are the symptoms of the Old Hag, well it’s the feeling of being unable to more. One is left with the other senses in tack, one can smell, hear, see, but can not feel or move. There is a heavy feeling to the body like its being pushed down from above held most times at the chest and breathing becomes at times labored. This too can be brought on from a panic attack.

The Folklore to this is that a Witch or Old Hag comes and rides on one’s chest and gives one the sense that there is something really negative in one’s room.

I have put here from Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce

The Torso Energy Surge :

Torso Energy Surge:
Many projections are ruined by a surge of energy in the torso, as energy flows through the legs and lower primary centres, through the navel and solar plexus to the heart and higher centers. This feels very much like the 'falling' sensation you get occasionally while drifting off to sleep. This feeling makes you catch at the sides of the bed, as if to stop yourself from falling. All these sensations are caused by a surge of emotional type energy through the energy body and heart centre, as the real time double is generated and the projection out of body begins.
This sensation is so strong in some people it leaves them breathless and wide awake, thus breaking the delicate relaxed state necessary for conscious exit obbe . This can be an infuriating problem. The torso energy surge often contains a great deal of emotional, nervous and adrenalin affecting energies as massive amounts of energy move through the lower primary centres into and through the heart centre. This can be felt in much the same way as any emotional surging type of body-rush would be felt...like a huge wave of excitement, much like you may feel if you suddenly won a million dollars, or like the feelings caused by riding roller coaster or bungie-jumping.
Sexual arousal is, also, not uncommonly related to this type of energy surge, as there is a primary energy centre (major chakra) situated directly over the genitals. (This centre is not mentioned in the Treatise, but is dealt with in my book "Astral Dynamics" under the Core Skills & Energy section) A strong upwards energy rush of energy will thus often involve this genital centre, to a greater or lesser extent, depending upon the energy makeup of the projector. Arousal usually breaks the delicately balanced state required for conscious exit oobe.
Lying prone on the back seems to intensify the torso energy surge problem. One way of easing this problem is to experiment with other resting/projection positions, to find one where the sensations are weaker or less distracting. These sensations are generally weaker when lying on your side or when sitting semi-upright. Lying fully on your side, however, tends to promote lucid dreams rather than OOBE's.
This energy surge is, basically, caused by massive energy movement through the energy body and it's primary centres (major chakras). Heavy energy movement sensations are caused by energy blockages in energy structures not accustomed to conscious exit projection. The heavier the sensations the stronger will be the energy blockages causing them. When the energy body is unused to heavy primary centre energy movement, and the projector is awake, these sensations can severely disrupt projection attempts. The only way to solve this particular problem appears to be regular meditation, relaxation, trance & energy work, which promotes energy body development. This is best done separately from actual projection attempts. These exercises should be continued until energy centres and their connecting pathways grow strong enough to handle the stronger energy movements which happen during a conscious exit oobe.

Just some general information.

Lynn
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Guide
I used to have SP when I was 2 or 3 years old all the way up until mid to late teens. During my early SP episodes, I would feel an evil presence in the room with me, although it didn't appear I was having an out of my body experience, simply because, I was not only in and out of my body, but everywhere at once. Omnipresence if you will...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Because once you understand what's going on in this state of mind, you're empowered to not only stop it... but to make sure it doesn't happen ever again.
Neurochemistry has nothing to do with *what* you'll experience in sleep paralysis. What determines your experience will be directly from your own mind... conscious or subconscious. That's where the fuel comes from.

Staying as calm and relaxed as you can allows you to keep control of your mind.

Also, if this is really something you don't want to experience any longer... to exit it and come back to the physical you need to focus entirely upon wiggling a single finger. Don't try to move everything... it's been found that focusing upon only a single finger will help with snapping you out of it faster.

And first of all, I'm not claiming to "know all the mysteries and answers regarding any subject".

Old Hag syndrome is a symptom of sleep paralysis.
Feeling like you're being held down is a symptom of sleep paralysis.

*sigh*

Yes, I do know what's happening to you. It IS sleep paralysis. You don't have to have studied it for years to know what's going on. Even though I have studied it for years as part of understanding astral projection.

Sleep Paralysis is a fairly common and mostly basic experience... and is a persons first direct experience of "thought = direct action" in relation to the non-physical.

Use my knowledge or not. It's entirely up to you. If you want to make this harder on yourself, by all means continue with your efforts which seem to be not working so well for you. There's nothing mystical or magical going on when you experience these things... it's simply you not staying calm and you're definitely NOT in control of your thoughts.

In this case, you are your own worst enemy... and by taking this egotistical stand, you're ensuring it never ends.

Just try it! Stay relaxed... stay in control of your mind... try not to react to any experience/event which is uncomfortable or attempts to scare you... TRUST ME.
Please. I *CAN* help you, but you have to let me. I'm not trying to sound like an *** here, I'm REALLY trying to help you with what I've learned over my life. I've helped many people on the Astral Pulse who have come with issues with Sleep Paralysis.

If you still don't want to even try my suggestion... then... at least I tried to help. At the very least, I invite you to come tell your story and ask for assistance on the Astral Pulse.

I have stated many times I remain calm during all Sleep Paralysis episodes that I have experienced for almost a year. It has been going on for over 2 years now and the first year I was scared. I am no longer scared and I remain calm. In fact when I am thrown across the room I scream out things like "weeeeeeeeee!" and when I am being attacked I laugh my head off. I have said many times on here now I am no longer scared but you refuse to see those words. Because if someone is not scared and the attacks continue your theory that you feel applies to every Human on Earth might not be the absolute truth.

I think it is far more egotistical to ascertain that what governs your experiences applies to everyone else, and not only that it governs that it is the absolute truth. I have never pretended to know the absolute truth about any subject, I simply offer my own personal experiences and acquired knowledge to others. I do not pretend it to be the stone-cold truth because realistically nobody knows the truth about things like Astral Projection & Sleep Paralysis and to convey that you do in my eyes is truly egotistical.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 AM
earthatic

Quote:
I have stated many times I remain calm during all Sleep Paralysis episodes that I have experienced for almost a year. It has been going on for over 2 years now and the first year I was scared. I am no longer scared and I remain calm. In fact when I am thrown across the room I scream out things like "weeeeeeeeee!" and when I am being attacked I laugh my head off. I have said many times on here now I am no longer scared but you refuse to see those words. Because if someone is not scared and the attacks continue your theory that you feel applies to every Human on Earth might not be the absolute truth.

I think it is far more egotistical to ascertain that what governs your experiences applies to everyone else, and not only that it governs that it is the absolute truth. I have never pretended to know the absolute truth about any subject, I simply offer my own personal experiences and acquired knowledge to others. I do not pretend it to be the stone-cold truth because realistically nobody knows the truth about things like Astral Projection & Sleep Paralysis and to convey that you do in my eyes is truly egotistical.

Just want to point something out...Having confidence in one's understanding has nothing to do with being egotistical (as it's defined).

That was poor judgement.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 AM
Guide
Quote:

I'm only trying to help. I figured you'd be happy to tap my 15+ years of knowledge and experience with this kind of thing. That's why I enjoy helping people... but I can't help if you're gonna toss names at me.

There's something you're either not telling us... or you're simply not being honest with yourself about.

These "attacks" are due to something you're hiding and/or you simply haven't been able to come to terms with.

You should probably do some serious introspection through meditation to get to the bottom of it. You do have a fear, because that's what's manifesting.

As for Sleep Paralysis itself... when you have done and experienced as much as I have in regards to it, you'll understand. I am confident in my opinions on this subject... so much so that it's beginning to frustrate me.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Master
Quote:
I'm only trying to help. I figured you'd be happy to tap my 15+ years of knowledge and experience with this kind of thing. That's why I enjoy helping people... but I can't help if you're gonna toss names at me.

There's something you're either not telling us... or you're simply not being honest with yourself about.

These "attacks" are due to something you're hiding and/or you simply haven't been able to come to terms with.

You should probably do some serious introspection through meditation to get to the bottom of it. You do have a fear, because that's what's manifesting.

As for Sleep Paralysis itself... when you have done and experienced as much as I have in regards to it, you'll understand. I am confident in my opinions on this subject... so much so that it's beginning to frustrate me.

Just like your experiences are dictating the knowledge you hold regarding any subject so do mine. Basically what you are saying is your knowledge is correct and any other that is not symmetrical is wrong. It is not that I don't want to believe you because I do believe you believe what you are saying. But I cannot believe one person holds the absolute truth on something that has wondered intellects for thousands of years.

I have paid close attention to the entire internal theory regarding entities and I hate to say it but it just is not valid in this case. I know my personal exit sensations that I experience personally from more exits than I can count. But when someone is wide awake and no-where near exiting their body and their bed is physically shaking I really don't think it is an internal fear magically shaking the bed, otherwise every bed in the world would shake on a regular basis. We all have fears both internal and external but I am not scared of ghosts, entities, Sleep Paralysis, being held down, or my bed shaking. Yet the experiences continue on.

I have had episodes of Sleep Paralysis that occurred because I forced myself to wake up from a dream and it turned into a false awakening Sleep Paralysis episode, this obviously is a classic case of me waking up too fast and my body using Sleep Paralysis to protect me from getting up and harming myself. But then there are other episodes that are totally different. I am peacefully sleeping having a normal dream and suddenly I am jolted almost pulled out of that dream and find myself laying in my bed unable to move and suddenly out of no-where I am attacked violently. Perhaps you have never experienced this BUT just because you haven't doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it is exactly the same as what you have experienced.

Two people can eat ice cream and both of them are eating ice cream, but since ice cream like almost everything else in the world is not the same and there are different flavors those two people can have totally different experiences dealing with the same thing. Just because one person experiences vanilla does not mean the other one who experienced chocolate actually experienced vanilla, this is what you are basically trying to convince me.