Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 25-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Experiencer
"Observe the observer meditation" type might be one of the most effective ways to

To release yourself from the observer trap, you have to observer the observer.

Who is the observer (in mindful meditation for ex.)? Who is this person who is behind the binoculars, watching your experience from the outside? This neutral observer you’ve created over time is actually just another—albeit smaller and less neurotic—version of the ego. It’s the sense of being a person who is doing the meditating. You could also call it a meditator ego or an observer ego. Creating this neutral observer is very useful, but the goal of meditation is not to create a new meditator ego, it’s to see through the illusion of the ego entirely. Observe the observer.

Anyone here is doing this type of meditation or had attempts? I did not and I shall, however I am preparing researching and learning for shadow work meditation, so I might not be abel right away but I am curious to hear some stories from you.

When I first heard 'observe the observer' and I thought about it and tried to do it.. I felt quite strange, in an unique/first time-like way. It can help me see little addictions and rationalizing thoughts I tell myself ... it's like the 'deep me' sees the 'autopilot me'... hard to explain it as I don't even know to explain it well.

I do recommend you google observe the observer meditation and read some articles. I don't want to post links.

If anyone knows more about this, please chime in!
Old 30-06-2018, 06:32 PM
I agree....hahaha....Who is that looking out from behind my eyes!!!!?

Who is that digesting my food and breathing me!!!!?

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 02-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Ascender

I have observed the observer a few times and it is quite strange and a bit scary at times.
The scary part is that I have seen myself in a totally different way which I did not like but what is being observed changes a lot and changes fast, so I can go to pure joy and happiness about my life to sadness in the blink of an eye.

It a bit like having lots of tv screens in front of me and every tv is a view of my life but not "my ego/personality" view ,,,but a neutral observer view so i see the truth about my ego/personality.

On the science side of it nothing can exist without an observer so even the observer that I became, also has an observer....the observers are infinite!
Old 02-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Master
In my earlier years of meditation, I started off observing the observer... until I went "hang on there...who is observing the observer that is observing the observer? No, scratch that...who is observing the observer which is observing the observer of the one observing the observer?"...and on and on this went until I stopped and said "hey, I thought I wasn't supposed to be having any thoughts here..So who is the one thinking the thoughts then?" Then I reached a stage where I had no thoughts...and I went "would you look at that? No thoughts... dammit..that was just a thought...Oh well, back to focusing on the breath I go..."
Old 02-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Master
When I meditate these days, I close my eyes and focus on the darkness behind my closed eyelids, trying to "see" it, like looking with my eyes closed. If thoughts arise, I just return my focus to that nothingness behind my closed eyelids. It only takes a split second without thought to go into a state of spontaneous meditation...until after about 5 minutes, I become aware that my breathing has totally stopped and that awareness snaps me straight out of meditation...So I don't meditate much anymore.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Ascender

I don't think what I do is meditation.....Its more like exploring my consciousness,I'm ok with thoughts as long as they are constructive and explorative.
Resisting thoughts has never worked for me.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:22 PM
Master
There are many types of meditation; a particular Zen Buddhist meditation may teach the practitioner to become what you are doing, become the car you are driving, or the meal you are preparing, etc., basically becoming one with what you are doing.

Guided imagery is another form of meditation, where you have a reverie of thoughts and you let the thoughts take you where they may go. There are structured guided imagery CD’s a person can buy. Some people meditate with their eyes wide open, concentrating on a flame or a picture of some “holy” person.

The Sanskrit word “yoga” means union, and meditation is a way that we achieve union. Meditation originated more than 5,000-years ago with yogis who did not follow any particular religion. There are documents about meditation that go back to 1500 B.C., but meditation was being practiced long before those documents were written.

At the same time that yogis were developing meditation in India it was also being developed, in a different way, in China, and later in Japan. Hinduism, and subsequently Buddhism, incorporated meditation, as well as a number of religions in Asia and the Orient. Today meditation is more widespread than it has ever been, and it is practiced in more different ways than it has ever been.

Most Americans never heard of meditation, or yoga, until the late-1960’s, when meditation in various forms became more prevalent in the U.S. and Europe. I think people should practice what they are comfortable with because what works for one person may not work for another person. Spiritual group-think usually ends up becoming a rigid religion. Meditation can be a spiritual practice; it can also be a way to relieve stress without any spiritual focus, a way to become more creative, artistic, or insightful, or just a way to explore consciousness.

A person can meditate on what they are reading from a book, they can meditate on clouds up in the sky. There is no limit to the types of meditation or the different forms one may practice, as well as the reasons why a person may want to meditate in the first place. The thing is to find what works for you, and there are people who don’t care for meditation at all; they see it as “cult-like,” or something else that they reject.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:12 PM
"A person can meditate on what they are reading from a book, they can meditate on clouds up in the sky.
There is no limit to the types of meditation.."

Me? and my 2 cents? I would call that contemplating, pondering, musing, maybe daydreaming on a cloud...letting the mind wonder on a subject.
Meditation is mental stillness, to me...to say simply...perfect focus
on a perfect thing...that being the Unchangeable Infinite One that dwells within.
(In other words, not a mantra or a candle that ends...they are nice concentration techniques, indeed....to get to a point of stillness....the
stillness, to me, is the meditative state.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
"A person can meditate on what they are reading from a book, they can meditate on clouds up in the sky.
There is no limit to the types of meditation.."

Me? and my 2 cents? I would call that contemplating, pondering, musing, maybe daydreaming on a cloud...letting the mind wonder on a subject.
Meditation is mental stillness, to me...to say simply...perfect focus
on a perfect thing...that being the Unchangeable Infinite One that dwells within.
(In other words, not a mantra or a candle that ends...they are nice concentration techniques, indeed....to get to a point of stillness....the
stillness, to me, is the meditative state.

Hi Miss Hepburn, there is a loose interpretation of meditation and a strict interpretation of meditation. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines meditation like such:

1. To engage in contemplation or reflection. He meditated long and hard before announcing his decision.

2. To engage in mental exercise (such as concentration on one’s breathing or repetitions of a mantra) for reaching a heightened state of spiritual awareness.

Jnana yoga, which is an ancient meditation technique, often called “the yoga of wisdom,” involves meditating on spiritual literature, scriptures, etc. Jnana yoga is often referred to as the yoga of the mind and intellect. In Jnana yoga, you basically couple meditation with spiritual studies.

Episcopal and Catholic monks, as well as Buddhist monks, in training, will read scriptures and then sit in quiet meditation to get insight on what they have read; The Hebrew Kabbalah has specific meditations for studying The Torah, Talmud, and Kabbalah. Now some might call these contemplations but often the person does empty their mind after reading to be open to insights on what they have read.

I view meditation in two categories; active meditation, such as guided imagery, and passive meditation, such as in emptying our mind. The Indian guru who taught me how to meditate, back in the 1970’s, would always tell us, his students/devotees, that meditation begins with concentration and it involves a single point focus. I admit that the term “meditation” today has taken on meanings that it did not originally have.

The way that meditation is practiced today, especially in Europe and North America, is definitely not the way it was practiced for centuries in India and China. It used to be that a person was never taught how to meditate until their ego was bought into humble submission, and this was done usually through selfless service, but other ways as well. Sometimes people would have to do selfless service to their guru, or their community, for years before they were taught how to meditate. Today people just jump into a meditation practice without any prep or without even having a teacher. So things have definitely changed when it cones to meditation, including how meditation is viewed.

I guess the question might be, is what we call "meditation" the experience or is it the technique? This thread is about "observer" type meditation, and many here at SF discuss "Kundalini" meditation, there is "mantra" meditation, and "Tantra," and I mentioned " Jnana" meditation (or yoga). So there are lots of different techniques, or types, of meditations, but many may see meditation as only the experience and not the technique. In that case there are no types of meditation, there is only the experience of meditation.

Last edited by Starman : 03-07-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:49 AM
Newbie ;)

Observer is the one sitting in the difference of your eyes who created you and now is enjoying the observed.