Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Knower

How to meditate properly?

Hi, I require of your wisdom once again.

I am planning to do a daily meditation, so I can be more "awakened", or at least improve my spiritual health.

The question is that I don't know from where I should start. I know that there are many meditation techniques, and some of them has one purpose (balance chakras, contact with spirit guides, contact with higher self, scan your body...), or just have a mindfulness meditation (just maintain the mind without any thought).

Also I have read that while you meditate you can be contacted by some beings (evil spirits, earthbound spirits or some more), which I don't like it. I just want to meditate without interruption and just contact with the spirits which I want to contact. If this is true, is there any way to avoid these beings "bother" me while I meditate?

I have to admit that now I am a bit lost, all of this spirituality is new for me and I would like some kind of advise about it.

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Guide
I think the key points are to understand what meditation is; the reasons why; and how.

Meditation is about getting in touch with reality as it is. To be fully connected in the present moment with all your senses. To feel alive for the pure enjoyment of it. It's about having full appreciation of everyone and everything around you - so you can have full appreciation of yourself.

As I don't believe in evil spirits or ghosts, to me meditation isn't about looking to gain anything or holding on - but is about letting go. To be fully connected with the pattern of life rather than being separate to it.

So the best way to start mediating is to close your eyes and listen to the world around you. Just hear the sounds without giving the sounds labels or names. Yes, you'll find your mind wandering to begin with. That's perfectly fine. So rather than try and push them away simply allow your thoughts to merge with the other sounds that you hear. As you relax, your breathing with naturally get deeper and deeper. At this point you are really starting to meditate. Where the more you practice the more you'll engage in the present and see yourself for who you are. That you are your Higher Self, the world around you - the Universe.

I am not an individual having a universal experience, but the universe having an individual experience. Where consciousness is the universe experiencing itself through each of us.

Destiny is not the path given to us - but the path we choose for ourselves.

Current resources:
Tom Campbell: Ultimate Reality www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhv-XCff4_I

Currently reading:
Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are: Alan Watts
A Brief History of Time: Stephen Hawking
Old 06-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Master

As you say, there are many types of meditation. The easiest way to start is perhaps breath meditation. Just sit and focus on your breath entering and leaving your body, inhaling and exhaling through your nose, and breathing deeply into your stomach. Find a rhythm which suits you - for example the exhale could be twice as long as the inhale. And some would suggest pausing in the spaces between the inbreath/outbreath and outbreath/inbreath. That is up to you. Keep it simple and comfortable to begin with.

You will find that your attention wanders - this is normal. When you become aware that you are no longer focusing on the breath then gently return your awareness to the breath.

And there may be times when you sit down to meditate and you find that you are physically and mentally restless, and you would rather be doing anything instead of sitting down concentrating. Meditation is not all bliss and kisses, sometimes it is hard work and the clock seems to move very slowly. We all go through this - just try to observe what is going on.

Regarding posture, find a position which suits you. Not everyone can sit comfortably in the full lotus, so you can sit in the half lotus, or cross-legged or in a chair with your back straight. Some people have a stool or cushion which allows them to meditate kneeling, but I have never liked this posture. Just personal preference. I would not recommend lying down to meditate unless there is some physical problem which makes sitting difficult.

Regarding time, begin with whatever length of time suits you. If you are totally new to meditation then 15 minutes can seem like ages. There is no point being too ambitious to start with - you are less likely to persist. As you become familiar with meditation you can always extend the time you sit.

And try to meditate at the same time each day, whether it be just the morning or both morning and evening. That just helps to establish a routine. Obviously you will have other commitments, so it might just mean getting up a bit earlier.

And it is extremely unlikely that you will be bothered by evil or earthbound spirits. In forty years of meditation that has never been an issue for me.

The main thing is to begin with something simple which you are comfortable with. You can always try other methods later. And if you read any books about meditation then you might find yourself drawn to a particular practice or tradition.

Meditation is a journey, and like any journey it begins with one step. So take that step and have fun with it.

Peace.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Guide

No proper way really. The principles of meditation are intended to guide you. Meditation involves learning to let go of all your thoughts and flow with the moment. That is the struggle . at first it is tough, then you start to learn and suddenly the pressure mounts. This is where you learn.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle45
No proper way really. The principles of meditation are intended to guide you. Meditation involves learning to let go of all your thoughts and flow with the moment. That is the struggle . at first it is tough, then you start to learn and suddenly the pressure mounts. This is where you learn.

It can be a huge struggle. But there is a relationahip between the pressure and what you learn. The better you get, you will discover how profound your ability to let go of your mental lagging skill is, and you become a boxer , weaving with your own being, catching a flow and becoming a meditation person.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Knower

Thank you friends,

Since then I practice some meditation each day (15 minutes or so). I have reached the following conclusions:

1. I used the half lotus position, and my foot numbs (I think that it is because of a bad position or sth).

2. When I stop meditating, I feel more "light", as if my weight were lower, and I need some seconds before I stand up or I would fall.

3. Toughts are coming to my head, but I reject them inmediately. I try to focus on my breath, but sometimes I loose the rythm and I don't breath as deeply as I should.

I will continue updating my experiences during this journey :)
Old 10-05-2018, 05:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesitant_man
Hi, I require of your wisdom once again.

Well an internet forum is a great place for that. Teehee.

Quote:
I am planning to do a daily meditation, so I can be more "awakened", or at least improve my spiritual health.

Good idea!

Quote:
The question is that I don't know from where I should start. I know that there are many meditation techniques, and some of them has one purpose (balance chakras, contact with spirit guides, contact with higher self, scan your body...), or just have a mindfulness meditation (just maintain the mind without any thought).

Scan the body is probably best of those options...

Quote:
Also I have read that while you meditate you can be contacted by some beings (evil spirits, earthbound spirits or some more), which I don't like it. I just want to meditate without interruption and just contact with the spirits which I want to contact. If this is true, is there any way to avoid these beings "bother" me while I meditate?

Don't think of future maybe, just feel the body as it is now.

Quote:
I have to admit that now I am a bit lost, all of this spirituality is new for me and I would like some kind of advise about it.

Thank you!

Spirituality is largely nonsense, so it's very confusing, but you can feel your body, right? That much is true.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Thank you friends,

Since then I practice some meditation each day (15 minutes or so). I have reached the following conclusions:

1. I used the half lotus position, and my foot numbs (I think that it is because of a bad position or sth).

2. When I stop meditating, I feel more "light", as if my weight were lower, and I need some seconds before I stand up or I would fall.

3. Toughts are coming to my head, but I reject them inmediately. I try to focus on my breath, but sometimes I loose the rythm and I don't breath as deeply as I should.

I will continue updating my experiences during this journey :)

Good Idea! feeling the breath as it is now is always a good way to 'return'.

15 minutes is a reasonable time.

Best find a fairly comfortable seated position, and when discomfort starts, just let it be there without reacting to it, stay calm and keep returning to the breath.

Don't worry about thoughts coming, let them be there if they want to be, and don't control your breathing - just breath in a normal relaxed way. That will help the mind be quieter and calmer.

You post is great because it shows your deeper awareness of mind and body - aka, it's working.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Knower

Thank you very much for your words Gem. I will do what you say, I'll start scanning my body and then I will see. Maybe do some chakra cleansing and after that some mindfulness meditation.

I will try to find another comfortable position to sit as well, with time I will find the best one.

I am glad that you find my post great. I'll keep working on this and keep you updated!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Thank you very much for your words Gem. I will do what you say, I'll start scanning my body and then I will see. Maybe do some chakra cleansing and after that some mindfulness meditation.

Oh no, don't do as I say. I only said something from what you already mentioned. As you explored and came to focus on your breath that's your way of going. I wouldn't want to distract you from what you are already doing in any way, and I only comment on what you have already said yourself. It's probably better not to control the breath in any way - just breathe normally - because that allows you to simply feel the air coming in and going out of the body.

You already make excellent choices in how you have decided to go, so you can select your preference and stick with it, or perhaps work a combination such as starting with feeling the breath and moving on to feeling throughout the body. These are your ways you mentioned, and they are not my ways which I told you to do.

Quote:
I will try to find another comfortable position to sit as well, with time I will find the best one.

I am glad that you find my post great. I'll keep working on this and keep you updated!

If you can sit cross legged, that posture will be optimal in the long run. No need for fancy lotus legs of anything, a simple cross legs is fine. Of course if you sit like that for a while it will start to become uncomfortable. If there is a pain emerging somewhere, quietly and calmly adjust yourself slightly, very carefully and slowly, to find a little more comfort. Don't let the pain disturb 'you'. Just let it be there as a sensation.