Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 30-12-2012, 05:38 PM
enythoughts

Sources, anyone?

I am a little late here in responding to this thread... Nonetheless, I wonder if anyone could refer me to some articles or books discussing this multidimensional understanding of reality.

I am writing a doctorate in Jewish mysticism and have been searching for some time now for literature on this topic for my thesis. When I saw novaspirit's post, I was excited because it describes a "layered" interpretation of reality. In my paper, I am trying to show that some of the Jewish mystics saw reality, simultaneously, on several different fronts. I would love to back up my claims with literature on this "layered" perception of reality, but have yet to find what I am looking for...

When I stumbled on this post, I found what I was looking for (thanks novaspirit); but, I still need a bit more in terms of actual literary references.

Can anyone list for me some sources which discuss this multi-layered view? Maybe sources which compare a one-dimensional view to a multi-dimensional one--similar to what novaspirit so eloquently described above.

Thanks, everyone,
eny
Old 30-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Master
Most of what you describe is parallel processing. That is receiving multiple channels of input at he same time processing all of them simultaneously. As you point out, some of these channels are sourced from external sensory input, some are retrieval of memory or previous learning, and a few are 'mystical'.

In my view just because one is also processing in or information from parallel universes, does not imply multidimensional thinking. Multidimensional thinking more has to do with viewing and processing things either at vastly different scales or from completely different frameworks. For instance thinking in a human like fashion AND thinking like an immortal or like a planet.
Old 31-12-2012, 12:05 AM
enythoughts

Interesting! Thanks for answering.
Wstein, where can I read up on multidimensional thinking, based on your definition of the behavior? Any sources you could refer me to? I am depicting mystics who do this exact thing: seeing things simultaneously from a mortal and a divine perspective. Thanks.
Old 31-12-2012, 03:47 PM
slaga

I've been really into the idea of ESP since I've been more devoted to spirituality, which has been a relatively short amount of time (about four months yet I'm already 37). I want to learn more about it but as some of you suggest we probably shouldn't think about it too hard. Perhaps it is only through experience that we will understand ESP. But I am confused about whether or not we use it all the time and if there are varying degrees of it. Is it a talent that some folks are simply better at? If do why? Can one become more in tune with their ESP? Why is our culture more set on the basic sense paradigm if ESP is so powerful? Or am I wrong about that? Do some cultures embrace ESP better than others? If so, why? Ugh, so many questions perhaps I should stop thinking!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaga
I've been really into the idea of ESP since I've been more devoted to spirituality, which has been a relatively short amount of time (about four months yet I'm already 37). I want to learn more about it but as some of you suggest we probably shouldn't think about it too hard. Perhaps it is only through experience that we will understand ESP. But I am confused about whether or not we use it all the time and if there are varying degrees of it. Is it a talent that some folks are simply better at? If do why? Can one become more in tune with their ESP? Why is our culture more set on the basic sense paradigm if ESP is so powerful? Or am I wrong about that? Do some cultures embrace ESP better than others? If so, why? Ugh, so many questions perhaps I should stop thinking!
You are more likely to get answers to this if you start a thread about ESP.

Also use the 'Search' above to look for past answers.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by enythoughts
Interesting! Thanks for answering.
Wstein, where can I read up on multidimensional thinking, based on your definition of the behavior? Any sources you could refer me to? I am depicting mystics who do this exact thing: seeing things simultaneously from a mortal and a divine perspective. Thanks.
Sorry not a (book) reader.
The only place I know this is at all discussed is in advanced meditation material, but I have no idea where to get advanced materials without joining an organization.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
enythoughts

And still, if anyone has any written material to refer me to, I would be most grateful. Thank you for your help. :)
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Shang Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaspirit
Multidimensional thinking is considered layered thinking, many ideas and thoughts that happened in one moment that are all separate yet are linked to each other. Our minds and thoughts actually work in this manner naturally, only we just haven’t been aware of it as it does come so naturally. Take the apple, when you see it, multiple events fire off simultaneously. You are cycling through different perceptions instantaneously to come to the decision that you like that apple and you’re going to eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaspirit
The amazing thing is you processed all of this information in a flash of a moment.

I'm glad to finally see somebody else talking about this. My friends and I began to greatly experience "Multidimensional Thinking" as we transitioned into high-school. The only difference is that we termed it "Abstract Thought" at the time. We were actually able to use our definition of the concept to explain to our school why we were the way we were. Luckily our student body had rather open minds :P
Old 03-02-2013, 10:03 PM
runningwithbutterflies

what a fascinating thread novaspirit..and 'parallel processing'...I haven't come across that term before...your first description of thinking about an apple reminded me of a vivid experience I had when I was a kid. I hope you don't mind if I indulge myself by sharing as it's a little odd.

I remember on more than one occasion lying in bed at night and having in my mind the image of an object spinning and rotating. On one particular occasion I could see a sausage roll (lol- not sure why!) rotating and spinning, and as it did I could 'feel' somehow the surface of the object as my 'inner eye' touched over the surface of it. It felt as if it was real and I could reach and grab it somehow, like it was almost in the room. I remember lying awake being transfixed by these 3D images many times, yet the room was pitch black as it was night time. I became convinced that I could somehow materialise these images as they seemed so real, how odd!! I have no idea what that was all about, I was so young I'm surprised I can even remember. If that isn't some sort of multi-dimensional thinking, I don't know what is! Has anyone else had an experience like that? (maybe I should post this somewhere else?)

I guess for me there are 2 definitions for 'multi-dimensional' and that makes a difference as to how you interpret it. One is the 'parallel processing' concept, that we process different types of information simultaneously. The second is that we ourselves are multi-dimensional beings int he spiritual sense, therefore we have senses/ways of picking up information depending on those dimensions. I guess it follows though that the more we expand our awareness, the quicker and more simultaeous our processing of information will be?...