Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 17-09-2016, 02:57 PM
Deactivated Account
Not sure what this is

Has anyone had an experience of being in what is called the spiritual void? I know there's no definitive term, just wondered if anyone feels they have experienced anything that sounds like it.

Lately I've been feeling spiritually spent. It's not due to physical fatigue which has always been part of my life, it's more a feeling of 'I've done it all/seen it all.' Now please don't start saying 'no you can't possibly have' because I KNOW that intellectually. Rather, this is a very strong FEELING of spiritual lethargy. Nothing interests me anymore, even the question of life after death.I used to love reading spiritual texts and living my life feeling connected to nature. It gave my life meaning. I've lost that feeling. I haven't lost my faith, I've just lost interest. This is after years, literally years, of spiritual exploration.

My life in general seems to be undergoing some kind of shift which leads me to believe that perhaps there is more to this than simple lethargy. I'm getting stronger physically, I've started volunteering, and the focus is on getting out into the world rather than on my personal development. But I'm worried by the fact I feel like I can't be bothered with spiritual stuff anymore. I have no interest in living in a spiritual way. It saddens me that I feel like this. I've got a blog that I'm not interested in updating when I used to enjoy writing about nature and my thoughts and feelings.

Recently I started wondering whether I'm disappearing into a kind of void where I don't want/need spirituality or any sort of meaning at all. After doing a search I discovered that in fact some people have experienced being in a spiritual void where they had to discover who they were without relying on anything they had ever known. It's kind of ironic I'm writing this as I'm attemping to understand my feelings using a pre-defined term but I do want to know why I've lost interest in my development.

I still meditate but that's about all I do. No more reading spiritual books, no more spiritual speakers, no more beliefs or even that many thoughts about the meaning of life. I still wonder where my dad (who passed last year) is, but I know I can't know. I wouldn't say I'm particularly happy but then I never have been. Content is a better word for me than happy. Life has given me a huge amount of heartache, but I get by each day. Things are changing for the better on the outside I hope.

Have I fallen into a void or is this just a shift in experience? Is it possible to have enough of personal development and need to leave it behind for a while?
Old 17-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Lorelyen

Yes, I've had a couple of periods like this, times I've wondered what it's all been for. It's been interesting but.... sort of thing.

I've just put things down, wondering if I'd pick them up again. Should I just concentrate on creative pursuits?
Should I just forget about spiritual development?
Has it added up to anything? I mean, really?

I believe that there'll come times when if you're pursuing anything intensely you'll need a holiday from it.

I hope I don't sound facile saying this but you may be reaching this point.
For me it turned out to be a time of consolidation. Perhaps it's the same for you.
It's surprising how a break can let things gel.

SO just let things go for a while, picking up just the things you like to do.
Old 17-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Deactivated Account
My knowledge of the spiritual void comes from Hermetic Kabbalah.
I won't theories: when someone reaches higher level of consciousness, there's a gap, void, or abyss that stands on our way. The only way to deal with that not so ego pleasant state of being is to make the jump, what means that you have to accumulate as much energy as you can.
The void is endlessly deep, so to fall into a void is actually a state of being.
If you feel that you can "jump", be prepared to experience the most unusual and unexpected changes in your life.
I would step beck, reconstructing my previous experiences and start to do something that really works for me.

Best wishes :)
Old 17-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Knower

I've experienced this many times. I also 'know' why it happens to me. It basically happens when I have been given spiritual insights about what I need to do to continue advancing but I don't take the next step for whatever reason. Then my soul goes into this void and I lose interest in spirituality/ spiritual work. As long as that resistance remains in me I don't get out of the void. I also know my way out of it - that is I have to apply myself to new spiritual work that, for example, requires greater sacrifice but sometimes I take my time before taking that step. When I do start following the guidance of my higher self again I return to a period of happiness, joy, growth, etc.

These can also be times of consolidation like Lorelyen pointed out. I'd like to add that when you want to get out of that void deep down you know what you have to do. The soul doesn't like stagnation so if in the past you loved reading spiritual books for example, and you felt you were gaining a lot of wisdom/ knowledge/ spiritual development from it unfortunately you won't find this to be the case for any great length of time. The soul is presenting you with the next challenge in your journey but you need to show you are ready for it or you desire it.
Old 17-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Deactivated Account
Thanks everyone your replies have been so helpful.

Stagnation is a very good word to use actually. I do feel stagnated and also in limbo. It's like...what now. Or like you said Lorelyn...it's been interesting but...

After reading my initial post I wonder if I'm ever so slightly depressed too, although not to the extent I have been in the past, and obviously it's part of my spiritual journey and need for something different.

It really helps to know others have experienced something very similar.

I do think there's an energy shift which is manifesting in external changes. Maybe the test is what is changing within me and whether I can allow it? I guess surrendering is key, not trying too hard to attach to what the mind makes of it, but allowing whatever it is to emerge.

Seeker I don't feel sure what my soul wants right now, but hopefully if I let go and surrender it will become clearer and I will move forward.
Old 17-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Deactivated Account
Emma, I am perceiving this as a necessary development and a 'phase' that you must pass through. Please don't feel inclined to doubt yourself in any way... All is going according to plan. : )
Old 17-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol
My knowledge of the spiritual void comes from Hermetic Kabbalah.
I won't theories: when someone reaches higher level of consciousness, there's a gap, void, or abyss that stands on our way. The only way to deal with that not so ego pleasant state of being is to make the jump, what means that you have to accumulate as much energy as you can.
The void is endlessly deep, so to fall into a void is actually a state of being.
If you feel that you can "jump", be prepared to experience the most unusual and unexpected changes in your life.
I would step beck, reconstructing my previous experiences and start to do something that really works for me.

Best wishes :)

Interesting. Apparently (once word-of-mouth teaching was finally committed to writing) aspirants to the High Priesthoods had to walk a narrow beam between Binah and Chokmah over the Abyss you're speaking of to reach a Kether. But agreed, it is a path all must eventually take to reach the crown. The particular Sephira you're speaking of is sometimes referred to as "Knowledge". דעת .

I don't think this is the void that Emmalevine is concerned with though.

Old 17-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalevine
Has anyone had an experience of being in what is called the spiritual void? I know there's no definitive term, just wondered if anyone feels they have experienced anything that sounds like it.

In fact I'm kind of feeling a little like this now.

Old 17-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze
Emma, I am perceiving this as a necessary development and a 'phase' that you must pass through. Please don't feel inclined to doubt yourself in any way... All is going according to plan. : )

Thank you wolfgaze. I tend to think something must've gone wrong somewhere or I've lost my way which is a truly miserable and lonely experience, so appreciate your words.
Old 17-09-2016, 05:02 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
In fact I'm kind of feeling a little like this now.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hugs.