Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2006, 05:20 AM
SIKH

Exclamation beginner in meditaion needs help!

hi everyone i am new to this forum, i am 18 years old and am a sikh which originated in India. i am also looking forward to lerning new things on my spiritual side.
i haveee one big problem!!!
i want to learn how to concentrate when meditating on god.
when ever i try, i always get distracted very easily, and i hate when this happens, i really need help!
i also want to learn how to start off meditating.
i got tips to start by concentrating on breathing, but i jus dont get wat i'm suppose to do!
i read the holly sikh scrptures and have a great idea of how great god is, and looking forward to learning more through meditation.
Please help me pleaseeeeeee
thanks, i will be veary greatful of u all.
Old 23-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Deactivated Account
a warm welcome to the site, this is difficult this part of meditation, i can suggest allowing the thoughts to come then let them go away again.
another way to do it it is to mentally visualise yourself pushing your thoughts to the back of your mind, even visualise yourself sweeping the thoughts (yes with a broom) from the front of your head to the back then 'know' you have the front portion free to focus on your god, i find this really works especially if you ensure you've done all the corners and it's completely 'clear'
Old 23-10-2006, 11:41 AM
dreamer

Hi Sikh,

a few things that i found useful are:

1. focus your attention between your eyes, actually look with your eyes at the point between your eyes as if you are cross eyed, keeping your eyes closed. It will become more comfortable with time but takes some getting used to. keep focused on one spot, little swirls and images might start to appear, look at them. By focusing your attention here you energise your third eye which is your connection to the divine and it stops some thinking.

2. Thoughts will come and go, the trick is to relax and take note but don't pursue any of these thoughts, let them take you where they want to take you, this is God talking to you, learn to listen.

3. You may start to feel strange sensations at some points like energy rushes, shaking, rocking etc, all sorts of scary thoughts may enter your mind, this is necessary to get past, just remember that there is nothing to be scared of ever, it is all in your own mind, stay relaxed and all opens up.

4. breathe with an equal flow of breathe through each nostril, if one is more blocked than the other just concentrate your mind on making both equal and ith time you will be able to control this.

5. when you learn to recognise the peace that meditation brings there is nothing to stop you living your whole life with this peace and making life a waking meditation - it is the peace that is the key.

This is all my own interpretation, hope it helps you to form your own interpretation.
Old 23-10-2006, 01:08 PM
AL

Hi Sikher,
Meditation is/ means- thinking. So we are meditating all the time, even when we sleep. It is natural.
To take it a step farther, when we meditate/ think, we then take control of the mind which creates the thoughts, and simply think the kind of thoughts which we want to create. Certain types of thoughts bring natural spiritual highs and others bring mundane lows, such as our state of mind when we go on automatic pilot. Body conscious.
So what kind of thoughts bring us what we are looking for from meditation? Thoughts which resonate with the true natural spiritual self. We seek to meditate, because we have lost that natutral awareness/ consciousness.
Quite simply, we are all souls, points of light/ consciousness which sit behind the eyes. Look out through the windows of the eyes. The eyes are windows. We are invisible. As spiritual beings, Our original nature is peace. I am light. Be it. Simply emerge this awareness and repeat it. Consider what it means to be infinitesimally small in size, yet powerful and naturally peaceful.
I have made a post in "spiritual development" called 5 virtues which will explain the human soul in more depth. It is not the only explanation, it is one.
A vegetarian diet will make for a more peaceful mind. Eating less sugar and cafiene also.
Dont try too hard, it should be easy and natural. And dont be harsh on yourself if you lose control of the mind, simply and gently bring it back again without a fuss. Learn to love the self, the true self.
Old 23-10-2006, 03:18 PM
GoldChord

Hi Sikh,

I too am a beginner at meditation. I'm feeling my way through it and sometimes get frustrated when I get restless and distracted. Here's what works for me - but remember that this is a narrative, not advice. I am a complete novice.

I try to meditate first thing in the morning because this is when my mind is clearest, before it has taken on the difficulties of the day. However, I have also heard that meditating at noon and night is also important.

I find a comfy place - sitting or lying - sitting is usually better because I often trigger the sleep mode when I lie down.

I focus my attention onto my third eye - in the middle of my forehead - shifting my eyes up toward that point as emphasized by Dreamer. It is important to keep your eyes still. My eyes used to wander around trying to 'see' and it was not effective at all.

I then count backwards from one hundred to one. Focussing on the counting allows your brain to relax (I have no other way of putting it). Daisy's advice (as usual) is spot on about allowing the thoughts to come and go on their own terms. Do not scold yourself or put effort into focussing. It only makes it more difficult to relax. The more experienced you get the shorter the count can be - from sixty to one, then forty to one, and then twenty to one.

I then often start to see colours - they may be swirls or waves or even a Kaleidescope. I like hanging out with the colours. It's very cool. You can see all kinds - red, blue, green, yellow, orange, indigo - an infinity of colour.

Sometimes when I meditate this is as far as I get. I am just beginning to get this down. But I am starting to get further recently. After I hang out with the colours for a bit, a feeling of floating overcomes me and here is where I lack the language to describe how it feels or where I go. Sometimes I see people, events, or just a shape. I don't know what comes next. Maybe as you develop Sikh, you can share how you feel at different stages and we can compare notes.

Good luck.
Old 23-10-2006, 06:00 PM
SIKH

Today, 07:18 AM
Thank you all
I had the same experiences with the colours and swirls and waves from the past when closing my eyes and concentrating. I have tried the focusing on the third eye, and have seen things, which i think was a progress. i saw shapes and sumtimes i always see a unclear picture of an old man with a long beard and long hair. and shapes that start from a distance and start too come closer and closer too me, then disapear or just stays right close up to my vision.
thank you all once again.
i hope to learn more!
Old 24-10-2006, 02:43 AM
GoldChord

Coooolllll,

The old man is obviously important. Maybe you could ask him who he is. I don't know how you do it - but I've heard that this is the next step. He might be a guide. There are some other threads on this site that offer advice on this. They're worth checking out if you have the time - and a much more relaible source that anything I have to offer.

Take care.
Old 24-10-2006, 03:42 AM
BLAIR2BE

i got a simple technique, ANYONE can use, experience or not...

start with a toe, relax every body part completely, and seperately, focus only on this task. when you are done, and totally relaxed, you may find it easier to....do what you want to do:)

p.s take as long as you need

Last edited by BLAIR2BE : 24-10-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 24-10-2006, 03:45 AM
SIKH

i dont really see a clear view of the old man, all i cann see is the shape of his head and i think his eyes too. ill try to see wat more i can do with this man, but i dont think we can talk to one another lol....since ive jus started. how cud i progress soo fast by even being able to comunicate with him since i just started. oh well, ill see what i can doo.
take care
Old 24-10-2006, 07:10 PM
SIKH

last night before going to sleep,while meditating, i saw some person, with blue skin,(dont kno if man or women) with alot of mak-up, and it freaked me out, as if it was a demon or somthing. i was terrified. and thought mayb i shud give it another try, and then i saw another demon like blue skinned person, who was bold with a long pony tale in the top centre of his head. i believe this person was sitting cross legged in a praying position.
wat was this ???
can anyone help me with this?

Last edited by SIKH : 24-10-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Closed Thread