Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 23-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Master
Wink Exercise ideas for people over age 50

No more trampoline for me... I've met really inspiring people in their 70s and even centenarians! One person I met at 75 had the body of someone in their twenties from her yoga practice. Another at age 73 was doing snowboarding high up in the mountains!

Are you over age 50 or help people who are? Please share your exercise practice/tips.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Newbie ;)

Hi Uma

My parents are in their 60s-
They try to go walking once a day...it really depends on your level of fitness
somethings that can be done now- are walking, running, biking, some weights- would be helpful.
Old 25-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Master
Any more ideas?
Old 25-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Any more ideas?

When i am 50, i am still sprinting and i am still lifting weights or doing extensive calisthenics.

There is absolutely no reason why you should stop training intensely.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Master
I'm in the 'ahem..' over 50 crowd. I run/jog, lift hand weights now and then and was doing the Focus T25 work out....but stopped when mom died but now I need to start it again. The bad thing about your 50s is it takes a LOT more to tone up and lose weight. ...it's like eat less/work out more. Good thing I love working out and keeping active. I hike all the time too. I like trail running and hiking. :-) fortunately people think I look 40 (and act 17)
Old 31-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Deactivated Account

I know plenty of people who are 50+ in my area who are hard core marathon runners. Consult a doc before any activity of course, however, I think running is the easiest, yet best thing you can do with your body. Anyone can do it, all sizes and ages. I recommend signing up for a local marathon. You will see the diversity, and it's challenging and fun.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Deactivated Account

My nan just turned seventy and she goes to dancing clubs two or three times a week. Also she walks a lot. She's very fit for her age.
Old 31-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Ivy

My Mum started jogging when she was 60. I'm not 50 yet, but I do regular swimming and tai-chi and these seem to be exercises that people with conditions such as arthritis find beneficial.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Master

Uma
You could train with a personal trainer at least in the beginning. Squats, lunges, planks, push ups and yogic stretches should benefit any age group and also strengthen muscles for running or fast walking. Building up gradually of course.
Good luck!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Master
Avoid any continuous long distance low intensity aerobic work. Its almost completely useless, when it comes to the augmentation of hormones such as Growth Hormone which, is a rejuvenating hormone. If you are going to work out no matter if you are 20 years old or 80 years old! you have to workout intensely, if you run miles upon miles of low intense running! all this does is raise cortisol through the roof! this happens during all exercise! but with high intensity exercise as a rebound effect, testosterone and growth hormone is elevated. Because the exercise is more intense and forces a high stress adaptation response. Exercise such as interval training "High Intensity" has been proven to improve Vo2max more drastically than slow miles upon miles of jogging. Plus on a genetic level! on a epigenetic level, they don't even know the full extent of high intensity exercise as yet! but if you take into consideration that.....Low Intensity Exercise has positive effects on positive gene expression! well then high intensity exercise is going to benefit you even more!!!! the answer is in are genetics guys!

GOD DOES NOT MAKE MISTAKES!

At the turn of the century or whatever, scientist declared that, it was impossible to break the 4 minute mile. And then some guy came along called Roger Roger Bannister! I think he was student at the time, and also working! so he did not have enough time to constantly be running miles upon! miles like the Traditional middle distance runner of that time. So basically he used to do interval training, and not much low intensity drawn out long distance running.........

And he broke the 4 minute mile, and science not for the first time was wrong about mankind, and our abilities!!

Marathon Runners are great athletes, so strong mentally but we have to look back in history, we are genetically primed for short bursts of intensity and resistance work. We did not jog after animals when we where hunting them as cavemen! Lions don't jog, Tigers don't jog, they hunt intensely.......

If you have no knowledge of exercise, then you could get a personal trainer. But most of them don't really know much, they only really regurgitate stuff they have read in magazines or the latest trends in the media. Its always best to educate yourself, and save yourself some money.

The human body is a adaptive machine! the body you are sitting in right now, is no older than 6 months old. Do you understand what i am saying! you're body is always renewing itself, it always strives to be better. There is no real such thing as aging! only getting weaker and sicker.....

And population, contamination, does allot to help with these things! Our bodies are a work of art! but we just take a beating throughout life.....

Ideally you're body wants to stay young, and what exercise does is stimulate you're body to stay strong. You're body adapts to its environment and stresses, so if you sit down all day! it may take some time but after each 6 month cycle, you will get fatter and fatter! and whole allot of other fun health side effects will start to happen.

Instead of just going outside and running yourself into the ground with continuous low intensity running. You want to be doing interval sessions, whether that be in the swimming pool or on the track! or on a bike! It will hurt, but you're body needs reminding.

3 times aweek, and in-between days you can do such low intensity exercise like walking. The reason why walking about for me, on recovery days is better than running the length of the country! Is because its not going to raise cortisol as dramatically! but it will get you're heart pumping more, circulation will be increased! and it's not constant impact after impact on you're joints......

Here is a nice video below which kind of touches on the concepts i am going on about. I don't advise you to buy this ****, but the science is spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQNy_qaajtg

Exercise effect on genetics/gene expression.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12205177

The reason why this is important is because, genetic expression is what enables a turtle to potentially be immortal on a cellular level. a 200 year old turtle, is just as sexually active and strong as it was when it was 20 years old. Genetics is a big reason why some people, are bigger, faster, stronger than other people! it's why you have red hair or black hair, ultimately it's behind everything. And its behind HEALTH guys, because there are gene's that make you more healthier and resistance to becoming weaker. Exercise and most conclusively high intensity exercise has positive effects on gene expression.

And then obviously just eating sensibly, just avoiding fizzy drinks and sweets! drink water and eat food, i am not big on diet.

That's all i can say to be honest, the information is out there!!!!

Last edited by MIND POWER : 04-11-2014 at 11:11 PM.