Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 13-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
You seem to have a kind of natural higher consciousness - you're in touch with your 'Buddha nature'. It speaks loudly through your elegance and manner of communicating. I imagine you'll be very successful in spiritual endeavors, as you already have been with meditation. Integrity and self-honesty are an understated key to success imo. And extreme humility is necessary also.

Anyway, the following authors are excellent: Thich Nhat Hanh, Jack Kornfield, The Dalai Lama, Chogyam Trungpa, and Pema Chodron.

ALL of these individuals are (or at one point were) Buddhist monks or nuns, and each have written many books.

Thanks for your post, I'll make note of the authors you mention and give some of their material a read. I've watched a little bit of Thich Nhat Hanh and Pema Chodron on YouTube before and both were superb.

All the best.
Old 14-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Experiencer
Not my area of expertise but I'll also give a thumbs up for Daniel Ingram's Mastering the Core Teachings of Buddha, and A Path with Heart - Jack Kornfield as books that offer something more than words.
“Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.”
― Nisargadatta Maharaj
Old 14-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Eelco

I second a path with heart,
Didn't want to put too much books in one post though.

Where daniel ingram and TMI focus on meditation practice.
A path with heart goes into the why, how and what of a spiritual path.

As a theravadan monk for 5 years Jack Kornfields book is a less practice orientated in favor of and more philosophical, heartfelt and easyer read.

With Love
Eelco
Old 14-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Master
Jack does some really nice Podcasts if anyone is interested.

https://jackkornfield.com/podcasts-dharma-talks/
Old 14-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheRoad
Not my area of expertise but I'll also give a thumbs up for Daniel Ingram's Mastering the Core Teachings of Buddha, and A Path with Heart - Jack Kornfield as books that offer something more than words.

Excellent, thank you for this. I'll read 'A Path With Heart' after the first book I read
Old 14-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl

Where daniel ingram and TMI focus on meditation practice.
A path with heart goes into the why, how and what of a spiritual path.

As a theravadan monk for 5 years Jack Kornfields book is a less practice orientated in favor of and more philosophical, heartfelt and easyer read.

With Love
Eelco

This is especially interesting to me. I prefer this type of reading; getting under the skin of things on a deeper level. Meditation books don't grip me truth be told, so this is definitely something I'll read.
Old 14-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Jack does some really nice Podcasts if anyone is interested.

https://jackkornfield.com/podcasts-dharma-talks/

Superb! Thank you very much. I have it open on a separate window and will listen to it in a few hours.

Thanks for sharing
Old 14-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
Superb! Thank you very much. I have it open on a separate window and will listen to it in a few hours.

Thanks for sharing

Your welcome

You have so much info: you'll need to lock yourself in a room for the next few months to be able to absorb it all

Little and often works well for me...
Old 15-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Your welcome

You have so much info: you'll need to lock yourself in a room for the next few months to be able to absorb it all

Little and often works well for me...

Ha, you're not wrong!

Do you (or anyone reading) get times where you want a break from reading?

I go through phases. I can be really into reading, but it seems lately I like to read a chapter then not pick it up for a few days. Almost allowing it to digest, although I'm not consciously digesting it, if that makes sense.

I go by feel. If I feel like reading, I'll do it. If I don't, well I don't.

''Buddhism for Dummies'' arrives today - can't wait to start that!
Old 15-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
Ha, you're not wrong!

Do you (or anyone reading) get times where you want a break from reading?

I go through phases. I can be really into reading, but it seems lately I like to read a chapter then not pick it up for a few days. Almost allowing it to digest, although I'm not consciously digesting it, if that makes sense.

I go by feel. If I feel like reading, I'll do it. If I don't, well I don't.

''Buddhism for Dummies'' arrives today - can't wait to start that!

I could read 24 hours a day for entertainment if I had the time but regarding Buddhism I find little and often works best for me. I usually read a verse from the Dhammapada last thing at night, it seems to sink in better
Yes it's best to do what feels right for you, everyone's different, go with your flow. Listening to a Buddhist teaching works even better for me, I can just listen without observing.
Hope you enjoy your book, I think it will get you started then you can move on if you choose, it helped me a lot at first. There are so many different approaches to Buddhism, but you'll find your own way regardless, the books/teachings are guides but not rules just enjoy them