Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-01-2018, 12:47 AM
Master
Gratitude

Hello,

Thought I would place this here.

Gratitude been going through my mind.

Not just for the "good" things, but for the difficulties that have come in my life.

It seems easy to give thanks for the things that may feel good ,but what about those experiences that don't at the time?

I had a friend who passed on last year of cancer. We had a long talk before he died about gratitude. He was going to write a book about it. He spoke of how grateful he was for his life and the time left to live.

He had trouble speaking at long length and I knew this could be the last time I speak with him in this manner. It was a very lovely discussion and got me focusing more upon gratitude.

So, been reflecting and bringing it more into my consciousness. Looking back at the happy times and stuggles. Both have influenced forming the person I am.

Both have brought deeper understanding and compassion.

I hear at times to do away with suffering, but can not for it is a part of life here.
Find it is not so much suffering, but how I have survived and lived through it.
The strength it has brought and the deeper understanding of this human experience.

Without it wouldn't know or be familiar when it is there or another is going through such.

So, find myself grateful for experiencing it. Although not pleasant at the time. What it gave to me can not be found any other way.

Even those that have passed on from here, I feel a deep gratitude for having them grace my life and this I hold dear.

As well as all who cross my path. For it seems each one leaves a little nugget of something that enhances my life and deepens my own understanding.

It is a powerful energy, gratitude. Can heal the deepest wounds. Not saying that perhaps what happened was alright or enjoyable always. Just that I survived it and stronger for it.

The joyful experiences give me the strength to move on and opens my heart more.

So, all in all it all seems to have its reasons and effects. Made and continues to form this person I am being. Given this moment to be and experience what unfolds before me.

For that I am grateful.

What are your thoughts upon gratitude?
Old 18-01-2018, 11:54 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
Hello,

Thought I would place this here.

Gratitude been going through my mind.

Not just for the "good" things, but for the difficulties that have come in my life.

It seems easy to give thanks for the things that may feel good ,but what about those experiences that don't at the time?

I had a friend who passed on last year of cancer. We had a long talk before he died about gratitude. He was going to write a book about it. He spoke of how grateful he was for his life and the time left to live.

He had trouble speaking at long length and I knew this could be the last time I speak with him in this manner. It was a very lovely discussion and got me focusing more upon gratitude.

So, been reflecting and bringing it more into my consciousness. Looking back at the happy times and stuggles. Both have influenced forming the person I am.

Both have brought deeper understanding and compassion.

I hear at times to do away with suffering, but can not for it is a part of life here.
Find it is not so much suffering, but how I have survived and lived through it.
The strength it has brought and the deeper understanding of this human experience.

Without it wouldn't know or be familiar when it is there or another is going through such.

So, find myself grateful for experiencing it. Although not pleasant at the time. What it gave to me can not be found any other way.

Even those that have passed on from here, I feel a deep gratitude for having them grace my life and this I hold dear.

As well as all who cross my path. For it seems each one leaves a little nugget of something that enhances my life and deepens my own understanding.

It is a powerful energy, gratitude. Can heal the deepest wounds. Not saying that perhaps what happened was alright or enjoyable always. Just that I survived it and stronger for it.

The joyful experiences give me the strength to move on and opens my heart more.

So, all in all it all seems to have its reasons and effects. Made and continues to form this person I am being. Given this moment to be and experience what unfolds before me.

For that I am grateful.

I was so very grateful when I found out I couldn't get my own way in things. Because it became such a relief not to have to continue to try!

As well I'm grateful life is backwards from the way people think it is... as noone wants me and life would be unbearable if I didn't have SOMETHING to console myself.

And I was grateful, for a girl that was very hard to deal with, because she didn't mind trying to deal with me.
Old 19-01-2018, 01:16 AM
Master

Most suffering comes from society and reduces as good people do things to change it. For example, the medical industry purposefully suppresses information about things that can heal cancer, so people suffer needlessly. Too much money in it to not do that. Instead of accepting things I want to work to change it because I believe most of our suffering is needless and such a shame. As humans we can take just about anything and learn from it, including suffering, but I don't believe in the whole glorifying of suffering thing. We're worth more than that.

I don't need to learn from suffering, I can learn from challenges just fine. This society is stuck on punishment and suffering as something good, but what good parent would give their child cancer to teach them something? That's crazy. But our society believes in teaching children through punishment and rewards, like we're dogs, and so we think suffering is good. We're not dogs though, we're people. Screw the ignorance of the past, time to evolve and believe we're worthy of love and good things, instead of believing that punishment and pain is good. We're not dogs.
Old 19-01-2018, 01:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
I was so very grateful when I found out I couldn't get my own way in things. Because it became such a relief not to have to continue to try!

As well I'm grateful life is backwards from the way people think it is... as noone wants me and life would be unbearable if I didn't have SOMETHING to console myself.

And I was grateful, for a girl that was very hard to deal with, because she didn't mind trying to deal with me.

Hi FallingLeaves,

Thank you for sharing this.

Hope things continue to get better for you.
Old 19-01-2018, 02:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
Most suffering comes from society and reduces as good people do things to change it. For example, the medical industry purposefully suppresses information about things that can heal cancer, so people suffer needlessly. Too much money in it to not do that. Instead of accepting things I want to work to change it because I believe most of our suffering is needless and such a shame. As humans we can take just about anything and learn from it, including suffering, but I don't believe in the whole glorifying of suffering thing. We're worth more than that.

I don't need to learn from suffering, I can learn from challenges just fine. This society is stuck on punishment and suffering as something good, but what good parent would give their child cancer to teach them something? That's crazy. But our society believes in teaching children through punishment and rewards, like we're dogs, and so we think suffering is good. We're not dogs though, we're people. Screw the ignorance of the past, time to evolve and believe we're worthy of love and good things, instead of believing that punishment and pain is good. We're not dogs.

Hi Seawolf,

Just to be clear not advocating suffering.

Find that the struggles and challenges I have experienced has brought awareness of the inner strengths I have and that having survived this long is something I am grateful for.

To not carry around the anger and resentment I held in my past. To liten the load upon myself.

Agree, there is a lot of unneeded suffering in the world. There are groups and entities that place profit above people. What does this bring to us? To rise up and help each other through and to change the system? I agree with this.

It is not that my friend got cancer to learn something. It was the manner in which he lived with it. The attitude he had towards life, even though he was suffering through the illness. He was grateful for having the moments he had.

Just saying for me suffering has come with the territory. It is not saying it is necessary, just that it happens. It is in the manner one endures and lives through it that I find can inspiration. To draw attention to it in order to understand and create change in ones life, IMO.

To find gratitude to those who reflect love, strength, and courage unto me and others.

I don't feel it is so much reward and punishment as much as it is part of this human condition we live in at present.

What inspires me is when I see another reaching out or needing acknowledgement. Like when I pass someone living on the street and saying "how ya doin'?" Sometimes he/she is not the one suffering or being challenged, sometimes they bring out that I am the one needing a greeting that day. Find this interesting and give thanks for that person bringing this to my awareness.

It has taken effort and work to reach a point in which I can be grateful for the joys and the sorrows that life has brought to me. For without them would not understand what I can do or feel to create the changes I have and work on to do.

Thank you for your thoughts. Hope you don't mind me sharing in mine.
Old 19-01-2018, 02:27 AM
Master

Quote:
Hi Seawolf,

Just to be clear not advocating suffering.

Find that the struggles and challenges I have experienced has brought awareness of the inner strengths I have and that having survived this long is something I am grateful for.

To not carry around the anger and resentment I held in my past. To liten the load upon myself.

Agree, there is a lot of unneeded suffering in the world. There are groups and entities that place profit above people. What does this bring to us? To rise up and help each other through and to change the system? I agree with this.

It is not that my friend got cancer to learn something. It was the manner in which he lived with it. The attitude he had towards life, even though he was suffering through the illness. He was grateful for having the moments he had.

Just saying for me suffering has come with the territory. It is not saying it is necessary, just that it happens. It is in the manner one endures and lives through it that I find can inspiration. To draw attention to it in order to understand and create change in ones life, IMO.

To find gratitude to those who reflect love, strength, and courage unto me and others.

I don't feel it is so much reward and punishment as much as it is part of this human condition we live in at present.

What inspires me is when I see another reaching out or needing acknowledgement. Like when I pass someone living on the street and saying "how ya doin'?" Sometimes he/she is not the one suffering or being challenged, sometimes they bring out that I am the one needing a greeting that day. Find this interesting and give thanks for that person bringing this to my awareness.

It has taken effort and work to reach a point in which I can be grateful for the joys and the sorrows that life has brought to me. For without them would not understand what I do or feel to create the changes I have and work on to do.

Thank you for your thoughts. Hope you don't mind me sharing in mine.
Oh no problem, I appreciate your response. I felt like sayig that because I hear all the time suffering is good. It's old, it's what people have been saying forever so I thought I'd say something different. I'm not saying that what you're saying, the topic just made me think of it.

The way we raise children has a big affect on how we see the world. There's a radical new idea that punishing and rewarding children to alter their behavior is not ideal, but rather abusive. Yes, rewarding children to change their behavior is abusive. Like I said, we're not dogs.

So I'm just feeling this, going by intuition, but I feel this belief in punishment/reward has alot to do with our belief that suffering is necessary to teach us things, like the old saying you hve to go through hell to find heaven. It causes us to think of poor people as better than the rich, the person who suffered is more wise, suffering makes us better, people who haven't suffered aren't as wise, etc. Old thinking imo. What if it's all wrong? Why not try something new?

Suffering is not totally inescable, but I believe we can do away with most of it if we just get in the mindset that it's not ok. That doesn't mean we can't be thankful for it, I can be thankful for something and not accept it and try to change it.. and have an expectation of it changing all the while being thankful for it all.

Spriituality tries to comfort those suffering, but it also keep them there. There's so many things in our lives that can change if we just think what if it can change, maybe there's somethign out there that can help, maybe I don't have to suffer like this. But sometimes we get so used to it that it seems normal, and that's a shame. We have to listen to that spark inside that says things don't have to be like this, it's ok to believe in great things happening to me.

We believe suffering in the past lead to good things for us, but what if we found out that was wrong and the suffering was needless? That we would have been even better off today without it? We'd think what a shame. What a horrible belief that was.

Last edited by Seawolf : 19-01-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 19-01-2018, 02:32 AM
Master
When there is sublime gratitude for the pain, turmoil, and tribulations, healing begins to blossom transforming all the seemingly horrific challenges into immeasurable and unconditional peace, love, and joy. At least that has been my experience. :)

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 19-01-2018, 03:41 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Thank you for your thoughts and sharing, Moon Glow. I often admire your considerate thoughtfulness and reflections.

Quote:

Gratitude is both a reflection of personal character, and a boon for the one whom experiences it. There is/are blessings, and it is worthy of thanks.

BT
Old 20-01-2018, 12:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
Oh no problem, I appreciate your response. I felt like sayig that because I hear all the time suffering is good. It's old, it's what people have been saying forever so I thought I'd say something different. I'm not saying that what you're saying, the topic just made me think of it.

The way we raise children has a big affect on how we see the world. There's a radical new idea that punishing and rewarding children to alter their behavior is not ideal, but rather abusive. Yes, rewarding children to change their behavior is abusive. Like I said, we're not dogs.

So I'm just feeling this, going by intuition, but I feel this belief in punishment/reward has alot to do with our belief that suffering is necessary to teach us things, like the old saying you hve to go through hell to find heaven. It causes us to think of poor people as better than the rich, the person who suffered is more wise, suffering makes us better, people who haven't suffered aren't as wise, etc. Old thinking imo. What if it's all wrong? Why not try something new?

Suffering is not totally inescable, but I believe we can do away with most of it if we just get in the mindset that it's not ok. That doesn't mean we can't be thankful for it, I can be thankful for something and not accept it and try to change it.. and have an expectation of it changing all the while being thankful for it all.

Spriituality tries to comfort those suffering, but it also keep them there. There's so many things in our lives that can change if we just think what if it can change, maybe there's somethign out there that can help, maybe I don't have to suffer like this. But sometimes we get so used to it that it seems normal, and that's a shame. We have to listen to that spark inside that says things don't have to be like this, it's ok to believe in great things happening to me.

We believe suffering in the past lead to good things for us, but what if we found out that was wrong and the suffering was needless? That we would have been even better off today without it? We'd think what a shame. What a horrible belief that was.

Hi Seawolf,

You make some good points and observations.

For it comes down to if I desire a change, then it is up to me to create those changes. Some things I simply can not change, but can adjust as to how to cope with it and find ways to heal the wounds.

Yes, there is some of the expectations that some how one will be rewarded for going through the muck. This to me is setting up one for some dissapointments.
For how often are good deeds rewarded or through suffering one no longer has to feel pain or sorrow?

It is how life is lived that reflects the true character of someone, IMO.

It brings to mind if seeing someone in need of help or in pain, give them a hand up or listen to them. Not because there is reward to be had, because one can.

It seems in some respects people have become cautious to show compassion. Afraid of being rejected or don't take a moment to just acknowledge another.
Little things can mean a lot to another and may even change his/her life.

The reward may not even be noticed or known to the giver, yet the potential to turn someone around or make their day is there.

When done to me find myself lifted up and passing it along. So, change can be subtle and may never know it has even occurred. Yet, it did.

So, what you share brings these thoughts to me. I grew up in a Catholic household and the whole reward will come for ones suffering was taught in the church.

Find it is not always that way. It takes effort, willingness, support, and courage to overcome and at times live with ones pain. Sometimes it takes being sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Find also that if never gone through the struggles, would not realize the support and yes will say love that is around me. Would not realize the strength in myself.
Fortunate enough to be blessed with these in my life.

To not expect a reward, but do what one is able to lift another up or just simply acknowledge another as a fellow being. In a way small acts like these can be a form of gratitude. Subtle in its appreciation.

Yes, it takes creating a fresh outlook upon life.:)

Thank you
Old 20-01-2018, 12:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
Thank you for your thoughts and sharing, Moon Glow. I often admire your considerate thoughtfulness and reflections.

Gratitude is both a reflection of personal character, and a boon for the one whom experiences it. There is/are blessings, and it is worthy of thanks.

BT

Hi blossomingtree,

Thank you for the kind words and inspiring thougts.