Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 20-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Experiencer
Why are people masochistic (theory)

This is just a theory but please have a gander at it:

So the other day I was just thinking that I have pretty much everything I could ever dream of but there was a sorrow in my heart that cuts really deep.
I found my self craving pain, wishing life was just way harder than it is, sounds like an easy task right? not for me.

and finally it dawned on me that masochism might be wanting pain because it covers up an ever deeper pain.

"Is masochism just an attempt to mask pain with pain?"

I remember reading stuff on the rich and powerful being drawn to masochism the like and I think maybe now I understand, perhaps having nothing much to suffer over just leads to that so called deeper pain I mentioned.

Ps.
This is totally unrelated back story absolutely nothing to do with the theory.

When I say I have everything I meant in a personal sense I still wish for things like world peace and such but in all honesty I cant do anything about those negative things as I am just one person and part of how I got to where I am is basically just cutting everybody out of my life that held me back in anyway because its just way easier to work on your self than relationships with other people. I know somebody might say that is probably what I am lacking in life but that is also something I cannot do anything about because I would never be fake with anybody and if I'm willing to cut people out of my life like that it means that I don't care and so being my self is the best thing I can do for them instead of attempting to force any sort of relationships or anything, In essence care enough about people not to be fake with them.
Old 22-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Experiencer
For me, when I sought self-harm there were a couple reasons. For the actual physical act, it first provided me with what I thought was the only way to silence the conflicting internal dialogue: a "natural" high, in a way, utilizing my body's natural painkiller response. It provided me a moment of peace, and it wasn't until later I realized two other reasons; first and foremost, I felt I needed it because I was a failure. I felt I could be good enough, yet the goal I sought was "better than I am", which made it so I could never actually accomplish it. But, I felt that if I could just try a little more, do a little better, and if I pushed hard enough - like a rider whipping their horse - I could finally reach that goal. And when I kept failing to reach it, I felt that I needed to hurt badly as motivation not to fail again.
And not just that, I felt that by causing physical harm I could finally see the emotional pain, and get a catharsis out of watching it heal, hoping that it would transfer to my emotional wounds. I didn't believe that my non-physical pain was valid. It wasn't until later that I realized what was happening, and not until recently that I realized that while I haven't done anything physically in years, I was still being self-harmful in my mind. I also realized that in many ways, I had adopted the belief that if I was to get anything worthwhile, or gain any life wisdom, I had to suffer. Anything else - anything easy - I believed I hadn't earned. It took many forms directed both inward and out, from putting down those I felt were wealthy "without having worked for it" to subconsciously sabotaging my health believing the only way anyone would care is if they felt obligated to help a sick person.

Others will feel they've done something bad and need to be punished, especially when they adhere to a strict set of rules about inherent, objective good/bad. It can feel cathartic and safer to do it themselves instead of having the shame and risk of someone else doing it. Others feel they need to protect loved ones by sacrificing and scapegoating themselves, or do similar acts as a way to be liked (think of self-deprecating humor and teens who do drugs to fit in). But behind all this, it comes down to a core issue of "I'm not good enough", and expresses as a need to punish that inadequate self, or pretend to be a different person so that when the failure is pointed out it's directed towards an invented character and not the core person underneath. So yes, masochism is opting for an "easier" suffering and a false sense of control as a means to try escaping an even more excruciating pain beneath it; the belief that you aren't good enough, that circumstances are out of your control. It's quite popular right now, and it's good that you're examining it philosophically.
"Sometimes you will act as an angel to others, perhaps without even realizing it. One day a woman comes up to you and says 'You saved my life'. You look at her astonished, trying to remember the last time you even saw this person before, the meeting meant so little to you at the time. 'Don't you remember? I was standing on the bridge, staring at the water, and you passed and said 'Good morning'."
Old 22-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Experiencer
Maybe, I don't think self harm was what I was getting at.
Because as you said it's supposed to give some sort of natural high so it's not quite the same as the masochism I was talking about.

I was more thinking just genuine suffering like the wish you were dead kind?
Old 22-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Experiencer
Still the same source problem, just different forms of outlet. Why would someone wish themselves dead if they felt they were good enough for happiness and life?
"Sometimes you will act as an angel to others, perhaps without even realizing it. One day a woman comes up to you and says 'You saved my life'. You look at her astonished, trying to remember the last time you even saw this person before, the meeting meant so little to you at the time. 'Don't you remember? I was standing on the bridge, staring at the water, and you passed and said 'Good morning'."
Old 23-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Pathfinder

Because you're indomitable if you love pain.
Just pray we don't forget to love peace