Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 14-08-2012, 09:50 AM
res

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
I have no personal stake in this since I regard Wicca as trivial at best. There is the usual danger in this thread of the mistake Wicca = Witchcraft. Let us not forget that the church persecuted witches for nigh on 2000 years. So, in my mind, Christian Wicca is a complete oxymoron. I could stick a Baked Beans label on a can of tomatoes but that does not make the contents Baked Beans.

Its been some time for me and i cant really recall the major differences between wicca and witchcraft. Would you mind reminding me what they are again Norseman so i can better understand why wiccans cant also follow Jesus as an example?

Thanks for your time.
Old 14-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Master
OK Res.

Witchcraft is NOT a religion. It makes more sense to write it as The Craft of the Witch i.e. the tools of the trade - rituals, potions, spells, invocations, etc. However, it is true that most witches have a belief system/philosophy often of a "Green" variety [Earth-accented, nature "worship"]
Witchcraft of one sort or another is as old as the hills !

Wicca originates in the 1950's from Gerald Gardner following the repeal of the Witchcraft Acts in the U.K. Gardner was a complex man who had interests in most of the exotic, mystic orders of Europe and the Far East. His intent was to popularise a version of Witchcraft without using the word as there were still popular misgivings about the practice. He used the description New Witchcraft and called the followers wica. Wicca is an assembled faith, not an evolved one. He took a core of modified witchcraft and then surrounded this core with ritual and mysticism taken from many sources - Masonic orders, Golden Dawn, Druidry, and so on. He added a faith which was a rework of old Nature/Fertility faiths. Added initiations to increase the air of exclusivity and a coven system for the same reason. This is where the question of lineage creeps in, an additional layer of mystique. One fact not widely known is that Gardner was an ordained priest of an obscure branch of the Celtic Christian church which had subsumed the remnants of Druids driven out of Anglesey by the Romans.
Your question regarding why wiccans cannot follow Christ is simply incompatability of belief systems. Wicca has no final judgement, no damnation and punishment by a vengeful deity but it does have a multiple reincarnation belief. But at the heart, the problem lies in the core of Witchcraft which was banned and persecuted by the church.

One final point. Wicca originated in the UK and, as far as I know, Christian Wicca does not exist in the UK - draw your own conclusions.
Old 14-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Quintessence

Some people do still use Witchcraft (especially in proper case) to refer to a religion, though, and self-identify as Witches in a religious sense. Just something for us to keep in mind.
Old 25-08-2012, 09:45 AM
MrMoJoRising

I've heard that in order for someone with a Christian background to become a witch, they must renounce Christ and break the cross, and this is what the so called peace sign represents, an upside down broken cross.
Old 25-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoJoRising
I've heard that in order for someone with a Christian background to become a witch, they must renounce Christ and break the cross, and this is what the so called peace sign represents, an upside down broken cross.

So all the many thousands who marched to protest nuclear weapons were witches then ?

Last edited by norseman : 25-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 25-08-2012, 01:48 PM
contentest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindy
Is it? I was wondering what you all think of this?
I think of it like this:

A religion, any religion, is a path to some ultimate, all-encompassing goal beyond space and time let's call it God.

If this God exists (which anyone who practices any religion must, by definition, believe) then all paths must, by definition, lead there.

Even if this God does not exist, then religions are superstition and have no purpose.

In either case, you can subscribe to any given combination of religions. You will have to break some rules of each of them, but this is true even if you follow only one path, because whatever road you're on you are going to have to stop walking anyway when you get to where you were going.

I would say that the only time you can not subscribe to two religions is when the religion has become an end in and of itself, i.e. when you are not following (e.g.) the Gospels in order to unite with God, but merely because you "are" "a Christian".
Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoJoRising

I watched a thing on YouTube not all that long ago with a Satanist. He spoke of a man called 'Anton LaVey'. A very scary man. The symbolisim here you are talking about it Satanic not Wiccan. To be initiated into their covens (not sure if they call it that?) this is one thing you must do, break the cross and yes, then it becomes the 'peace' symbol. I was shocked when I heard that, never thought of the peace symbol that way.

This is not practised if you want to leave behind Christianity and become Wiccan. I believe it is only a Satanic practise.
But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13
Old 06-09-2012, 04:14 PM
contentest

Actually the peace sign is a combination of an inverted V and a straight line, which are a flag code for the letters ND, which stood for Nuclear Disarmament when the symbol was created in 1958 by an environmental activist.

Let's not let anyone hijack this symbol the way the swastika was hijacked...