Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > Forum Help

Closed Thread

Old 20-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Wisa'ka

Censoring words in tribal languages

I have come to find that some words in American Indian languages are blocked as they may contain within them something that is censored by the swearing filters here. One was the name I chose for myself here, but no biggie as the same name in the tongue of our Sauk cousins worked just as well. The other was a Lakota word for the Great Mystery which is spelled W*nkan Tanka. Perhaps this happened because of the unfamiliarity with this world. I understand that one of the big social networking sites had a similar problem as they did not want to accept real tribal names of Indian members as they seemed non conventional. Of course this was overturned.

Honestly I was not talking about a w*nk or w*nking.
Old 20-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Master

Heh. Yeah, the 'adult word' censure on this forum is a bit much. On the other hand it is not as bad as the previous spiritual forum I tried, where talking about anything negative or scary was banning reason. Needless to say my stay there was short.
Old 20-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
Heh. Yeah, the 'adult word' censure on this forum is a bit much. On the other hand it is not as bad as the previous spiritual forum I tried, where talking about anything negative or scary was banning reason. Needless to say my stay there was short.

That would be bad for a Shawano as our spirit world has both good and not so good spirits and other supernatural beings. Like the mother creator who also created what we call the 'thunder boys', large and cannibalistic they could catch human scent from a far distance.
Old 21-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Rin

This is some imperialist plot to suppress other languages and cultures.
I say this because to have a filter which avoids such totally unjustified distortions of words would be so easy to build or implement. I bet that some kids who are still in kindergarten could do it.

The good news is that it just needs a little creativity to defeat this imperialistic cultural filter which makes peoples feel like second class citizens of the world.
Old 21-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Wisa'ka

"This is some imperialist plot to suppress other languages and cultures"

How can you be sure ?

I was hoping to hear from a mod, but perhaps,,,
Old 21-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Master
Don't get your knickers in a twist, there is no imperialist plot. The checker is brainless and cannot discriminate.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Don't get your knickers in a twist, there is no imperialist plot. The checker is brainless and cannot discriminate.

Greetings norseman.

That's what I figured as well, norseman, but still I respect Rin's opinion, no matter what was meant by it.
Old 21-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisa'ka
"This is some imperialist plot to suppress other languages and cultures"

How can you be sure ?

I was hoping to hear from a mod, but perhaps,,,

Apologies, your post didn't say you were looking for a solution, seemed to be just a statement. Next time if you'd like clarification on something, it's best to send a pm to staff directly instead of indirectly through a post.

There is no imperialist plot, it's exactly as norseman has stated - it's just a brainless filter. There is no intention to insult anyone.

Old 21-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaere
Apologies, your post didn't say you were looking for a solution, seemed to be just a statement. Next time if you'd like clarification on something, it's best to send a pm to staff directly instead of indirectly through a post.

There is no imperialist plot, it's exactly as norseman has stated - it's just a brainless filter. There is no intention to insult anyone.

Greetings Kaere. My thanks for your kind response.

No apologies needed as no insult was perceived on my part. Is was not I who deemed this an imperialistic plot. I was going to ask here on the 'forum help' section if my original name could be used, but Wisa'ka will suit fine.
Old 21-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisa'ka
Greetings Kaere. My thanks for your kind response.

No apologies needed as no insult was perceived on my part. Is was not I who deemed this an imperialistic plot. I was going to ask here on the 'forum help' section if my original name could be used, but Wisa'ka will suit fine.

So glad to see others who respect their ancestral traditions.
Vardmadr vinr !