Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
What I saw is someone who came here posted about his Buddhist practice. The joy and the progress he has made with a teacher and people telling him to be careful because that isn't Buddhism. To be very, very careful and how bad Tibetan Buddhism is.

Then to make the point that what he was doing is wrong and not Buddhism is to take a quote out of context to enforce the belief that real Buddhism doesn't need a teacher except the Buddha. Forget the fact that his is in a Buddhist tradition that is thousands of years old and practiced by 18 million people.

What is interesting NF is that the one person who is happy for the guy, not telling him what he is doing isn't Buddhism is the one you are saying is stuck in a mindset of right and wrong teachings?

Instead I would say look in the mirror and see what you are being a part of.

She you mean.

You get into arguments with those defending Buddhism and what is right and wrong in the teachings... what you already shared initially I have no issue's with, it was positive and I was very aware you understood more than the others.

My reason for putting my post where I did was that you of all people supported the process positively but then you got caught up in Ground and sky with regards to right and wrong teachings.

So look in that mirror for yourself and see how you get caught up in others after the fact.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 22-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird21
He is a highly respected buddhist vajrayana teacher, the highest level teacher in his lineage of Buddhism. MANY of my concepts have been cut through by this relationship, it's unbelievable how much more free and open-minded I am.

I am entering retreat with him soon and am feeling, well, quite nervous!!! I have fallen completely in (unattached) love and feel INTENSE devotion.
In your profile biography you say "I am 100% enlightened"

Why would you still need a teacher? Especially one like that. He should chase you away to do your own thing.
Old 22-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
In your profile biography you say "I am 100% enlightened"

Why would you still need a teacher? Especially one like that. He should chase you away to do your own thing.

Why are you snooping in her profile?

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 22-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Deactivated Account

Members, please stick to original topic please.. Your more than welcomed to make a new thread of your own if the content does not pertain to original topic.

Thanks.
Old 22-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have this past year entered into a powerful student-teacher relationship. It is extremely potent and I often feel completely naked and vulnerable before my teacher, who sees me with a cutting clarity and this is reflected back to me. The closeness and love is unlike anything I have experienced even with family. In fact, honestly, I have never experienced this level of intimacy and transparency in my life. Upon meeting we both recognized each other and he has told me we know each other from (at least) a past life.

He is a highly respected buddhist vajrayana teacher, the highest level teacher in his lineage of Buddhism. MANY of my concepts have been cut through by this relationship, it's unbelievable how much more free and open-minded I am.

I am entering retreat with him soon and am feeling, well, quite nervous!!! I have fallen completely in (unattached) love and feel INTENSE devotion.

I'm wondering if any of you are in vajrayana student-teacher relationships? And what your experience is?

Vajrayana is tantric Buddhism, in which there is much emphasis on the student-teacher relationship being intimate, sometimes even closer than family.

I never answered your question.

I don't practice Vajrayana but I am in a student-teacher/guru relationship. I would agree it is a very special thing.
Old 22-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Master
I gotta say, I've been here since 2012 and have NEVER experienced this kind of judgement and lack of kindness here on SF as I have in some of these responses..... I appreciate the responses I got that were actually thoughtful, constructive, and helpful. This was also my very first post in the Buddhism forum and it will be my last. Hmmm. I'm totally open to feedback, Gem kindly suggested I be discerning and remember I am the boss of myself which I appreciate, but there's a big difference between constructive feedback coming from an open hearted place and lashing out, making assumptions. I'm very disappointed.

Markings, I'm being facetious in my profile. My profile pic also used to be snoop dog. I find ppl in spiritual communities as well as SF take themselves too seriously.... and try to come off as if they know more than others, that spiritual ego trip. I'm poking fun. Thanks for asking. ;)
Old 22-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Master
Quote:
I gotta say, I've been here since 2012 and have NEVER experienced this kind of judgement and lack of kindness here on SF as I have in some of these responses..... I appreciate the responses I got that were actually thoughtful, constructive, and helpful. This was also my very first post in the Buddhism forum and it will be my last.

That's the problem in the Buddhist section, but some don't seem to understand the most basic elements of practice: self-awareness, equanimity, and loving kindness (which is how to be a decent bloke). I suppose it could be possible that people frequent here because they might need to learn. I have sat with some very advanced people in my time, and you'd be surprised how many have overlooked the basic things. I don't anything about Vajrayana or what it teaches, but I do know about power dynamics in relationships, and ethics such as informed consent, coercion, reliance, self-determination, as I mentioned - which isn't even a Buddhist teaching hahaha.

Quote:
try to come off as if they know more than others,

That is the heart of the issue, but I have tried to explain to people here how using knowledge to dominate works, but it does no good. I mean the 'teller' isn't typically an adept listener now is he?

You said earlier on that "he simply listens to me...", and to me that's the main quality of spiritual teaching. I have a saying which goes, "The truth is in the listening" (I'm kinda zennish like that).
Old 23-08-2017, 05:44 AM
Master
Agreed Gem. Yes all he does is listen haha! Never tells me what to do.

Ground, honestly you are incorrect but you seem set in perpetuating this story you have about me... I'm not sure what you mean by an emotional home, my relationship with my teacher is certainly not about comfort or security on the contrary it reveals my ego, insecurity etc like I said I feel totally vulnerable. The relationship is in essence a clear mirror, so I must face myself. I'm speaking about loving kindness, through loving kindness towards ourselves and others we are ABLE to become homeless. Really it is Love its self in my experience which makes us the most homeless. No other way.

I wish you more kindness in your life, please don't comment on my post anymore.
Old 23-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Deactivated Account

Temporary closing this thread until further notice.Unfortunately, a number of you have an inability to listen to basic instructions.
Comments not pertaining to original topics removed.

Clover
Closed Thread