Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Space_Man

What Does It Mean To Be "A Christian?"

So many people call themselves
Old 10-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Poppies

Re: What Does It Mean To Be "A Christian?"

One of my major sticking points in all this is the Bible.

I would say that a Christian is someone who follows the teachings of Jesus.

But how do we know what the teachings of Jesus are? I'm not trying to start a discussion on the validity of the bible - that would warrant a thread all of its own.... but I'm not sure how much I trust the accuracy of the bible anymore.... and that contains the teachings of Jesus.... so does that mean I'm not a Christian?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Space_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppies

...I'm not trying to start a discussion on the validity of the bible - that would warrant a thread all of its own....
Here ya' go! :)
Old 10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Poppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppies

...I'm not trying to start a discussion on the validity of the bible - that would warrant a thread all of its own....
Here ya' go! :)

Why... thankee kindly Mr Space_Man, sir!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
DASA

Follower of Christ

I would agree with Poppies on this one.

A 'Christian' is by definition someone who knows the teachings of Jesus, and who takes them as their 'life and soul'. Doing their utmost to follow them all to the best of their ability.

The 'Sermon on the Mount' imparticular.

But then yes, many might question the accuracy of the recording method of the teachings over the past 2000 years. Unless there is a living guru who is self-realised who we can speak to, it would be very difficult to follow in this way I should imagine.

Gouranga !!

Das
Old 11-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Space_Man

Re: Follower of Christ

[quote=DASA]A 'Christian' is by definition someone who knows the teachings of Jesus
Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
DASA

Summary of Jesus' teachings

Link:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...27;&version=9;

Hi Spaceman,

I'm genuinely getting into all these Christianity questions but personally wouldn't dare try and summarize the teachings of Christ, especially as Christ is not my main source of inspiration. ;-)

All I would do is point people to above link and say - 'read it with an open heart, and try very sincerely to follow the teachings'. Ideally we'd find someone like St Francis of Assisi and ask for them to give us some personal pointers throughout life to make sure we weren't going off track. Someone who is obviously 'on the level' spiritually and who could see our problems and mistakes in judgement when they occured.

So many people may say different things, but in answer to that I'd say again - 'find someone who You believe is a PURE CHRISTIAN and learn from them'. It's just like your car analogy, if you became friends with an expert mechanic who'd spent his life working on your particular make of cars, he'd probably teach you more in a week than you'd learn independently in a year of searching.

I'm not really a 'Christian' in the typical sense so don't face these issues. Bhagavad-Gita is a different story. :-)

Hare Krishna,

your servant,

Das
Old 12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Elen0Sila

Quote:
Ideally we'd find someone like St Francis of Assisi and ask for them to give us some personal pointers throughout life to make sure we weren't going off track.

Wouldn't that be great! :)

I'm looking at what is a Christian from the outside, so my perspective may not be the most accurate. But the Christians I know whose faith I deeply respect and admire take the teachings of Christ and internalize them to the point where they really don't seem to have any anger or hatred for anyone. They are very forgiving, very loving people. These are people who truly make Christianity seem like the greatest religion in the world, because of how it shapes their actions, words, and thoughts to such a kind, caring, goodness. Of course, there are other Christians who distort Christ's message, and make it a message of vindictiveness and vengence. It's unfortunate that these are the Christians who are most in the public eye. :?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Space_Man

Let
Old 13-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Poppies

Re: Follower of Christ

[quote=Space_Man][quote=DASA]A 'Christian' is by definition someone who knows the teachings of Jesus
Closed Thread