Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 26-01-2012, 01:10 PM
deepsea

So,have we all come to the conclusion that Spiritualism is counted as a religion?

Deepsea
Old 26-01-2012, 02:32 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
So,have we all come to the conclusion that Spiritualism is counted as a religion?

Deepsea

I didn't need to reach that conclusion - I came to the thread already knowing it....

It was useful, though, to have someone else point out that the NSAC describes it in such a way. Appropriate, too, as Modern Spiritualism has its roots in Hydesville, New York, and much of the dissent on this issue came from members in the US.
Old 26-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandell
Hi.
I allways say to people im into spiritual stuff, meaning I dont follow eny particular religion.
I believe spirit is guiding me now as I write.
The connotation of the word religion to me suggests rules, a hierarchy system and a very staid situation.
Im not saying you dont get that in spiritualist churches either .......

From your statement, you're saying that you are spiritual, meaning that things of the spirit are important in your life.

I can't tell from your statement whether or not you're a Spiritualist.

Most spiritual people aren't Spiritualists.

Jim
Old 26-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Experiencer

Quote:

Deepsea

I agree that Spiritualism is a religion. For some people, it is THEIR religion.

But there are also people who consider themselves adherents of another religion - or of no religion - who engage in Spiritualistic practices.

Jim
Old 26-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I didn't need to reach that conclusion - I came to the thread already knowing it....

It was useful, though, to have someone else point out that the NSAC describes it in such a way. Appropriate, too, as Modern Spiritualism has its roots in Hydesville, New York, and much of the dissent on this issue came from members in the US.

Mac, how would you classify someone who regards himself as a Christian, or a follower of some other religion other than Spiritualism, but who also advocates or engages in Spiritualistic practices?

Jim
Old 26-01-2012, 06:34 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
Mac, how would you classify someone who regards himself as a Christian, or a follower of some other religion other than Spiritualism, but who also advocates or engages in Spiritualistic practices?

Jim

a Christian Spiritualist? That's what such folk may call themselves.... Don't know if there's a category for any other religion.

It's pretty easy for me, Jim. Spiritualism is fundamentally the understanding that life goes on beyond one's physical death and that through mediumship, those we call 'dead' may return to show they're still very much alive. If someone runs with that I don't much care what they call themself. Beyond those fundamentals I'd have to consider what's being espoused....

I've not responded to "....advocates or engages in Spiritualistic practices" as I don't have a clue what they are. I don't advocate or engage yet I see myself as a dyed-in-the-wool Spiritualist......
Old 30-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Toolite

Quote:
Simple question?

Is Spiritualism regarded as a Religion?
If it is.......why isn't it included in the telephone directories under the heading of 'Religion'?

Deepsea

I believe centuries ago Spiritualism was the only religion but, as man moved away from the Spirit because he couldnt duplicate or purchase an experience man began to teach their personal understanding because it made more sense but, man's sense is not Spiritual.. Centuries ago we knew from birth that we could communicate with the universe and was stronger and over centuries and centuries we were unprogrammed spiritually and thats why so many dont believe souls walk the earth or even how souls currently get in that situation due to hidden truth.

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!
Old 30-01-2012, 03:52 PM
mac

"I believe centuries ago Spiritualism was the only religion but, as man moved away from the Spirit because he couldnt duplicate or purchase an experience man began to teach their personal understanding because it made more sense but, man's sense is not Spiritual.. Centuries ago we knew from birth that we could communicate with the universe and was stronger and over centuries and centuries we were unprogrammed spiritually and thats why so many dont believe souls walk the earth or even how souls currently get in that situation due to hidden truth."

"Centuries ago we knew from birth that we could communicate with the universe....." It's a romantic notion but because we don't have any reliable, authenticated records of humankind's spiritual status all that time ago, it can't ever be anything other than a belief, idea or notion....

Not saying it's wrong, only that it can't be shown to be right.

Old 30-01-2012, 04:43 PM
deepsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolite
I believe centuries ago Spiritualism was the only religion but, as man moved away from the Spirit because he couldnt duplicate or purchase an experience man began to teach their personal understanding because it made more sense but, man's sense is not Spiritual.. Centuries ago we knew from birth that we could communicate with the universe and was stronger and over centuries and centuries we were unprogrammed spiritually and thats why so many dont believe souls walk the earth or even how souls currently get in that situation due to hidden truth.

Don't quite understand how spiritualism was the only religion,Toolite.
Can you explain that me,please.
Was Spiritualism that ancient then?
Interesting concept.
Old 30-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolite

Deepsea, I'll bet that there isn't any category as "Religion" in your telephone directory: but that if you look under "Churches", you will find Spiritualist churches listed.

Toolite, there is much fod for thought in your statement! I believe that there's been an inverse correlation between mankind's progress in the scientific-material realm, and the spiritual one.

Many believe this is why so many Guides are American Indians: they lived a life more in harmony with nature and with spirit than did the more materially advanced Europeans who displaced them.