Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astral Projection

Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Experiencer

Psychics - What do you make of sleep paralysis

I find sleep paralysis fascinating and I'd love to know if the things one experiences are hallucinations, spiritual phenomena or a combination of the two. Have any psychics here investigated the phenomenon?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Hello

It is one of the most disruptive and scary things one can honesly face in sleep. Ye litterally feel pinned down in fear and I think in that state the brain kicks into over drive with all the images it can think on. Is it hallucinations more I have come to beleive its in the dream state of the subconscious brain, we are so visual its not hard to bring in negative images.

As a child I suffered from what I thought was nightmares but were really visions and spirit contacts. It was all so real and and was real. Til one understand what is going on around one and is able to separate dream state and waking state of being its very unsettling.

Can one be pinned down or effected in ways by a Ghost or Spirit yes, but its rare, sadly TV so plays that up and makes issues a lot of times worse for those looking for answers. I am a psychic and medium, I look for the cause and try to help with the effects. Its about finding that fine line in balance and understanding that one is truly not going mad that helps the most.

There is not yet understandings on what the cause is of sleep issues, and sadly Dr's rush to treat with medications, when that not always is the root of the problem.

Lynn
Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
iolite

Sleep paralysis is a normal physiological function during deep sleep, when it co-exists with awareness like Lynn said it is scary. It is really too bad that no one bothers to explain to us what is going on. Does paralysis have to co-exist with ap'ing? I've only had it happen to me a few times that I remember . But when it happend more recently a few years ago where I try to wake up and cannot, I have remembered that I'm either lucid dreaming or was ap'ing and I was able to not panic and eventually woke up.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Gofa

Had it a bit when i was young and a few times as a real grown up Basically something jams like you cant get the plug in the socket and so the power wont flow
Funny how you remember
I was in my forties. White light frozen cant blink. Long time in duration. Space ship looking like a cluster of fish eggs comes into the room and a beam of light out of it and interacts with my chest or heart
The ship was in the room but also a huge distance away when it finished i could move
The reason i bring this up was i had the courage to yell in my head
F@@k you and your annal probe
Id love to put that on my .CV
Even when confronted with an overwhelming opponent still prepared to hurl insults
Lolololol
Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Henri77

Well from my experiences, it's often far more than a simple physiological event.
While I don't always see an entity I could strongly feel it's presence and thoughtforce, especially, even after I struggle out of the "dream"

Hasn't happened in months but I typically stayed up a good half hour to be sure I cleared any attachment, before returning to bed, by calling on spiritual help as well.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Master
From my experiences of Sleep Paralysis and a year of Astral Projection I can say this. It is rarely my physical body that is paralyzed during SP, it is one of my subtle bodies. I have been attacked many times during SP and had many SP events where I wasn't attacked as well. SP is a normal thing for our bodies it is a defense against us getting up and sleep walking or hurting ourself. BUT and I mean this but very strongly in many cases of SP I highly suspect there is something more behind the events. Something spiritual in fact. I have dealt with entities for quite some time and they very commonly cause me to suffer from SP. Or maybe they don't cause it and they just know when it happens is a good time to attack. Either way they definitely like to mess with people during an SP event. Experiencing SP with out an attack can be pretty scary so it really helps them scare you even more and feed them that negative energy they so desire.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Experiencer

Lynn: Yeah, it can be pretty terrifying and watching Nightmare on Elm Street, I can sympatise with the characters because I know what its like to be scared to go to sleep because of what you will inevitibly face when you do. Strangely enough, I never see anything in SP. right up until I start dreaming. When I start seeing things, I know a dream is about to start. When I open my eyes, I can see the room pretty clearly and I always think about how scary it would be if I suddenly saw something. I hear and feel things. Do you see things mainly with your eyes open? What happens if you close your eyes, can you still see the same things? As a kid, I used to be able to visualise with my eyes closed but I kept seeing this flaming eye which I perceived to be evil (and female for some reason). Interestingly, it looked identical to the flaming eye from Lord of the Rings:

this was when I was around 5, well before the Lord of the Rings movies were made. It kept scaring me so one day I decided that it would be better if I couldn't visualise with eyes closed. Now when I close my eyes, I just see black. Maybe this has something to do with why I don't see anything in sleep paralysis.

I've had SP my whole life and over the years I've learned quite a bit (I should really contact some neuroscientists and fill them in because I know things modern science has yet to discover). Possibly the most important discovery I've made is that sleep paralysis is intricately linked to the neurotransmitter GABA. When my GABA levels are high, I'm immune to sleep paralysis, when they are low, my sleep paralysis is way more intense and frequent. For some people its the other way around, high GABA levels cause sleep paralysis while low levels prevent it. People who suffer from SP need to know about this. I've learned this from experimenting with drugs, I won't get into the details but if anyone here suffers from nightly SP and want to find a remedy, tell me and I'll elaborate. I bet I can figure out a cure for you.

iotite: That doesn't sound like SP what you described. In SP, you are just lying in bed paralysed and get bombarded by hallucinations. You're awake, its just your body thats asleep. Its very different to dreaming.

Astral Explorer: I know exactly what you mean. Sleep paralysis is a normal physiological process like you say but being fully aware of it and getting stuck in it isn't normal. Its as if something happens in that transition state. I have thought about this too, sometimes I suspect that there is something spiritual occuring, its as if something is preventing me from entering the dream state for whatever reason. I don't always sense a presence, sometimes its more of a passive thing, I just hear voices and sounds and feel things but they are not focussed towards me, kind of like when you're walking down the road, you hear people talking but its got nothing to do with you. Other times I feel like there is a presence that is not only aware of me, but is strategically doing something to me. For example, I've feel a bony finger poking me in the back or a hand grabbing my *** (which is a bit demoralising for a male) and I get the impression that there is something intelligent and strategic doing it but I have no idea what its agenda is and therefore, I have no idea whether I'm resisting it or playing right into its plans. The first time this happened, I went to Jamaica with my ma's boyfriend (who was cool) when I was around 18 and we travelled the country, staying in cheap guesthouses so we'd usually share a bed. One night I woke up paralysed and I could feel a hand grabbing me in my gooch area. I assumed that he was doing it in his sleep so I struggled and pulled myself out of paralysis and he wasn't doing it anymore. I assumed that it really happened and while I didn't blame him since he obviously didn't do it intentionally, it still negatively effected my view of him and from then on I'd sleep on the floor if there wasn't a second bed or couch.

Years later, I started getting frequent sleep paralysis and experienced the very same thing while paralysed so now I think that that didn't actually happen in Jamaica, it was just one of these sleep paralysis hallucinations. Its very odd because I rarely (only happened about twice in my life) wake up in SP, it always happens when I'm falling asleep. Even though my ma's boyfriend was one of the coolest people I've ever known and hes someone that could easily be my best friend (since our personalities go together well), we developed serious animosity for each other and nearly killed each other on numerous occasions. It even got violent once. What was happening was I'd feel like he was belittling me then I would start to try to do the same to him and I would offend him and this gradually escalated. I'm wondering if there was a negative entity behind all this. I should mention that my father is an occultist with serious psychological issues and that he seemed to want to get back with my mother and didn't like her boyfriend at all. While I don't know if any of his occult stuff actually works, I can bet he likely performed rituals to get my mas boyfriend out of the picture. I didn't know my dad until I was 16 but we became real good friends but hes not the most honest person around, I doubt he'd answer me honestly if I ask him has he done rituals involving me or my ma's boyfriend. My dad is dirt poor, has been addicted to heroin most of his life and has quite a lot of problems though, if his magick was effective, I'd assume he'd use it to make some money. One of the reasons I suspected he may be involved in my sleep paralysis is because I did opiates with him for the first time so I thought that maybe some kind of psychic link had been formed to the drug. However, I later learned that GABAergic drugs cure my sleep paralysis and I now know that opiates inhibit the release of GABA, this is how I learned that GABA is connected to sleep paralysis.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi Barnacle,

I have had SP many times - it was indeed terrifying..don't know if it
would be now...

It was explained by 'someone'....maybe Sylivia Browne?
That it was you 'coming back into your body' after being in the Astral - and we woke up in the process - this
"in beween state" is just terrifying to the "mind" or something.

After hearing that, I had to say --tho it was terrifying and it felt as if there was some
evil entity around ---there really wasn't...it was just my own fear...there was nothing or no one hanging around me at all, ever!

Ha! I have such confidence now that I am completely loved and protected at all times -
I wonder if I felt that fear at all - if I wouldn't be able to laugh in it's face now...
and be in more control of it...don't know.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 04-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle
Lynn: Yeah, it can be pretty terrifying and watching Nightmare on Elm Street, I can sympatise with the characters because I know what its like to be scared to go to sleep because of what you will inevitibly face when you do. Strangely enough, I never see anything in SP. right up until I start dreaming.

I often too note how many of thing things in the movies might well mirror an experience the writter had. As a child I was scared to go to sleep and I remember that the advice me parents were given was to shut me in til I was quiet. HMMM.

I am reminded by me Son (whom was fully age 4 - 5 vocal at 2 ) that I would put him to bed over and over again and that there was a "man in his room" . There was a spirit man his Grandfather ( me Dad ) . Once I understood that and we found out via a picture he picked from a pile whom was there he finally at the age of 2 slept the night. He was a nightmare baby and toddler til then. I feel bad I missed it, but too I had no memories from that early on to draw from.

His younger brother suffers a bit from sleep issues, will not go to bed til his older one does. No matter how late they stay up. I at times find them sleeping in the same bed. I know that if there is something up they will tell me, the eldest is me again has the waking visions I do, and the dreams that are sprit contacts. So far ( as they approach puperty things can ramp up some ) so good.

When I start seeing things, I know a dream is about to start. When I open my eyes, I can see the room pretty clearly and I always think about how scary it would be if I suddenly saw something. I hear and feel things. Do you see things mainly with your eyes open? What happens if you close your eyes, can you still see the same things? As a kid, I used to be able to visualise with my eyes closed but I kept seeing this flaming eye which I perceived to be evil (and female for some reason). Interestingly, it looked identical to the flaming eye from Lord of the Rings:

this was when I was around 5, well before the Lord of the Rings movies were made. It kept scaring me so one day I decided that it would be better if I couldn't visualise with eyes closed. Now when I close my eyes, I just see black. Maybe this has something to do with why I don't see anything in sleep paralysis.

I have always seen it as a door, one that starts to open just a jar. Its always been the same door from early childhood. I spent a week in a sleep lab having the brain mapped and I know that when its a vision or spirit contact I am in the waking state. What happens with me is as I sleep so very little, I enter that REM place very quckly. The head hits the pillow and out is me. I too do not take time to wake up its wake and lets go.

There are times still when I have that pinned to the bed feeling but I know that I am the one in control of me, and I do not enter that panic mode I used to. That takes time to get there, and self confidence that one will be OK in all siturations.

We learn dont eat this and dont watch that before bed but I have to wonder at times if its deeper than that. I know that when I am alone in that quiet space of the bathroom or bed that I am there for spirits to find. I do not shut down, I run open all the time so they know that I am there for them. I too do not turn one's away.

I've had SP my whole life and over the years I've learned quite a bit (I should really contact some neuroscientists and fill them in because I know things modern science has yet to discover). Possibly the most important discovery I've made is that sleep paralysis is intricately linked to the neurotransmitter GABA. When my GABA levels are high, I'm immune to sleep paralysis, when they are low, my sleep paralysis is way more intense and frequent. For some people its the other way around, high GABA levels cause sleep paralysis while low levels prevent it. People who suffer from SP need to know about this. I've learned this from experimenting with drugs, I won't get into the details but if anyone here suffers from nightly SP and want to find a remedy, tell me and I'll elaborate. I bet I can figure out a cure for you.

I am not one for any substance to control things I feel for me that we do come in with all the tools in ourself to do things for ourself. If we are not the norm we at times struggle too much to be that. For me I had to understand that I walk in two worlds and for me that simply is how it is and I had to accept that is part of the life path I have. I funtion higly on little sleep and that too is how I came in. I have one Son the same he can be up til 4 am sleep til 7 am and be fine. Yes he is still young, but I do the same at times. He like me is out the minute he is ready for sleep.

iotite: That doesn't sound like SP what you described. In SP, you are just lying in bed paralysed and get bombarded by hallucinations. You're awake, its just your body thats asleep. Its very different to dreaming.

Astral Explorer: I know exactly what you mean. Sleep paralysis is a normal physiological process like you say but being fully aware of it and getting stuck in it isn't normal. Its as if something happens in that transition state. I have thought about this too, sometimes I suspect that there is something spiritual occuring, its as if something is preventing me from entering the dream state for whatever reason. I don't always sense a presence, sometimes its more of a passive thing, I just hear voices and sounds and feel things but they are not focussed towards me, kind of like when you're walking down the road, you hear people talking but its got nothing to do with you. Other times I feel like there is a presence that is not only aware of me, but is strategically doing something to me. For example, I've feel a bony finger poking me in the back or a hand grabbing my *** (which is a bit demoralising for a male) and I get the impression that there is something intelligent and strategic doing it but I have no idea what its agenda is and therefore, I have no idea whether I'm resisting it or playing right into its plans. The first time this happened, I went to Jamaica with my ma's boyfriend (who was cool) when I was around 18 and we travelled the country, staying in cheap guesthouses so we'd usually share a bed. One night I woke up paralysed and I could feel a hand grabbing me in my gooch area. I assumed that he was doing it in his sleep so I struggled and pulled myself out of paralysis and he wasn't doing it anymore. I assumed that it really happened and while I didn't blame him since he obviously didn't do it intentionally, it still negatively effected my view of him and from then on I'd sleep on the floor if there wasn't a second bed or couch.

Years later, I started getting frequent sleep paralysis and experienced the very same thing while paralysed so now I think that that didn't actually happen in Jamaica, it was just one of these sleep paralysis hallucinations. Its very odd because I rarely (only happened about twice in my life) wake up in SP, it always happens when I'm falling asleep. Even though my ma's boyfriend was one of the coolest people I've ever known and hes someone that could easily be my best friend (since our personalities go together well), we developed serious animosity for each other and nearly killed each other on numerous occasions. It even got violent once. What was happening was I'd feel like he was belittling me then I would start to try to do the same to him and I would offend him and this gradually escalated. I'm wondering if there was a negative entity behind all this. I should mention that my father is an occultist with serious psychological issues and that he seemed to want to get back with my mother and didn't like her boyfriend at all. While I don't know if any of his occult stuff actually works, I can bet he likely performed rituals to get my mas boyfriend out of the picture. I didn't know my dad until I was 16 but we became real good friends but hes not the most honest person around, I doubt he'd answer me honestly if I ask him has he done rituals involving me or my ma's boyfriend. My dad is dirt poor, has been addicted to heroin most of his life and has quite a lot of problems though, if his magick was effective, I'd assume he'd use it to make some money. One of the reasons I suspected he may be involved in my sleep paralysis is because I did opiates with him for the first time so I thought that maybe some kind of psychic link had been formed to the drug. However, I later learned that GABAergic drugs cure my sleep paralysis and I now know that opiates inhibit the release of GABA, this is how I learned that GABA is connected to sleep paralysis.

There are many stresses at times that on a very subconscious level can effect us without us maybe seeing them. The hardest part is what is dream and what is real, and what one has seen that might well come to pass and what was just the brain reactiing to something one watched. Why keeping a journal really helps. Makeing some random notes when one wakes up and seeing at times the patterns to them. Too knowing that is one see's something horrible that one has seen it for a reason, maybe one will never understand that reason but i have come to find that those in the even find a path to me in spirit at times.

There is always a place for the medications or subliments but cautions are so needed becasue what is right for one might not be right for another. For those that suffer with sleep issues they are real, and ye are so not alone. I too had PTSD before it was called that from a fall and NDE I had, and I was told it was all in the imagination but it was real. I was re doing the event in me sleep to undersand the messages from the event. Once that was cleared I could then start to move on. To be using a fire exit in an office tower and freezing on the stairs with other's trying to get out is not a good thing. It is very similar to sleep paralysis ye are pinned to the spot.

Lynn
Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Ascender
original post by Miss Hepburn
Quote:
Hi Barnacle,

I have had SP many times - it was indeed terrifying..don't know if it
would be now...

It was explained by 'someone'....maybe Sylivia Browne?
That it was you 'coming back into your body' after being in the Astral - and we woke up in the process - this
"in beween state" is just terrifying to the "mind" or something.

After hearing that, I had to say --tho it was terrifying and it felt as if there was some
evil entity around ---there really wasn't...it was just my own fear...there was nothing or no one hanging around me at all, ever!

Ha! I have such confidence now that I am completely loved and protected at all times -
I wonder if I felt that fear at all - if I wouldn't be able to laugh in it's face now...
and be in more control of it...don't know.

Sleep Paralysis is or used to be terrifying for me, like you Miss Hep, I used to think there was some evil presence around me too, until a good friend said to me "You sure it isnt actually you trying to get back into your body? Never knew Sylvia Browne said it was the case either, but I think Robert Bruce also mentions it in his book Astral Dynamics.

I haven't had sleep paralysis for a long time now. However, prior to having sleep paralysis, while out on the astral, Ive seen deceased people, relatives and non-relatives, some strange scary beings of part human kind ( ),talking snakes wrapping itself around my body and felt insecure many times as my awareness was only beginning to open up. These days and having asked for guidance on my journeys and with new knowledge, Im secure when "out there" and enjoy it more than anything....wonderful experiences of the spiritual kind Ill say more than a vivid imagination. Ive seen many things unfold in my day to day life after having seen it in astral which certainly assures me of this.

Awesome thread and will continue to read the shared experiences from you all

" And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to the span of life?"

Jesus Christ