Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Pathfinder
Dionysus; does anyone know/worship him?

First of all, I'm a witch who believes in all gods/goddesses. I don't believe any of them are entirely good or evil, even if they claim to be, but I do believe most of them are incredibly powerful, individual entities. I don't worship all deities but I do honor/work with Morrigan and Aphrodite. I've also had interactions with Freyja (she's wonderful) and Nyx (who didn't appreciate me bothering her).

As you can see I've never interacted with any gods, only female deities. I usually don't connect with male energy. But suddenly the other day Dionysus popped up in my head very... strongly. And not just because I love wine! Haha. I decided to look into him and realized his philosophy and what he represents resonates with me on an incredible level. From what I've seen he's this wild God of ritual madness (most of my magic involves a lot of chaos), intoxication (which CAN be spiritual), religious ecstasy, and everything primal. I want to contact him but I'm not sure how he'll react, some deities are very standoffish and even angry. When I tried to contact Nyx she plagued me with nightmares until I apologized for approaching her. I don't want to repeat something like that.

I'm going to try to contact him regardless of any nerves I might have, but I figured it would be good to hear about experiences other's might have had with him. So...any Dionysians here? How should I approach him? What should I offer him, besides the obvious??
Old 04-07-2016, 12:27 AM
Master
I do know a bit about Dionysus.

I work with Guardians and Guides but we use the mythology and the symbolism as part of the work. I work with it a little differently but there is something about Dionysus. I don't get it but in my world there is a big thing about Nysa.
He was raised by the nymphs of Nysa.

I don't know why I have always received that message so strongly. I think it is about the place, or the Nymphs more then about Dionysus himself.

From what I know, I would recommend him.

You say you work with female dieties, but there needs to be balance and you need some of that male energy in your circle.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:07 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozie
I do know a bit about Dionysus.

I work with Guardians and Guides but we use the mythology and the symbolism as part of the work. I work with it a little differently but there is something about Dionysus. I don't get it but in my world there is a big thing about Nysa.
He was raised by the nymphs of Nysa.

I don't know why I have always received that message so strongly. I think it is about the place, or the Nymphs more then about Dionysus himself.

From what I know, I would recommend him.

You say you work with female dieties, but there needs to be balance and you need some of that male energy in your circle.

Did you receive this message before learning that Zeus entrusted Dionysus to these nymphs as an infant?

I agree that I need male energy in my circle! Usually I just don't click with male gods. Dionysus I think might be who I've needed. Maybe he's even the one planting the message in my head. We will see! :)

~ I'm offering free tarot readings ~
Old 04-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Master
I was guided to 'Nysa' and then I learned of the legend. For me, it seems to be more about the place, and the Nymphs. I would definitely embrace Dionysus because he is a fun guy.

I was guided to it through astrology. I don't usually use asteroids but this particular one demanded attention. Nysa. I use it all the time and include in every chart I pull up. I don't interpret it but it has a karmic meaning. I came across it by accident, but it was an 'on purpose'...I don't normally use asteroids, just that and my name asteroid.

I do things a little differently and I have both a male and female guardian, or 2 sides of the same coin. They appear as different characters, sometimes gods but they assume the visage and characteristics as a symbolic representation of the energies.

From my experience and the way I do things, I know that balance is important. You need the yin and the yang. The receptive and expressive energies, both male and female to stay balanced.

If there is a god who is making himself known and he fits in with your group, then it would seem that is a message.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Master

I was taught Tantra of the Blossoming Lotus through the image of Dionysus, plus my true nature have always taken the form of Zagreus on that path.

I then now know him as the original Tantra, unraveler of the web of reality, the liberator.

I agree that there is something essential about Nysa, like it is the Heart of the world, and Dionysus is the one who leads you into the depth where you find your true essense (and embrace your true nature as a god or goddess).

I love this ancient line of text "Mistress Earth and Zagreus who art above all other gods."
Old 04-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Master
That's interesting.

I am always interested in 'spinning the web' not unravelling it.

I haven't heard of anybody else who thought anything about Nysa. I was taught of the symbolic importance of that concept as a 'place'...

I just accept it, and use it, and don't question it much.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Knower

As a Hellenic Pagan, I worship a lot of gods at their festivals. There are some whose presence I've been very aware of (Asklepios and Hephaistos) and some who've done me major favours (those two and Athena), but Dionysos and I don't seem to connect. Once a year, I make offerings but otherwise we leave each other alone.

I have a fascinating book about pagans' experiences (Walking with the Gods, by Wendi D. Wilkerson). Tess Dawson, the Canaanite priestess, reported a dream vision of Dionysos (hardly a Canaanite god) which she found "very comforting". Elaine, a video-game designer, found Dionysos a great support and very accessible. From that very small sample, it seems that he's an approachable god. Elaine celebrates his February festival with a huge party, "not overtly religious".

This book I haven't read, but it's probably useful
https://neosalexandria.org/bibliothe...-for-dionysus/

He's certainly mysterious in many ways. Why were all his festivals in the winter, never at the grape harvest? Why did the maenads worship him on mountains? (In mid-winter, too!} Why did the maenad rituals occur in alternate years? (To give time to recover from a night up a mountain in mid-winter, perhaps!)
Old 05-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer-rags
Did you receive this message before learning that Zeus entrusted Dionysus to these nymphs as an infant?

I agree that I need male energy in my circle! Usually I just don't click with male gods. Dionysus I think might be who I've needed. Maybe he's even the one planting the message in my head. We will see! :)
Dionysus is hermaphrodite in nature, just like many ancient deities. Don't pay attention to people reading books telling you otherwise, balance the male and female inside you, unite them and end duality/conflict of sexes and...there he will be, awaiting in the primordial forest. Balance and unity inside us create the bridge.
A hint : He likes fun people and spirits ;)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Master
That doesn't ring true to me. A hermaphrodite is a creature who has both male and female genitalia. That is what I thought it was. Gods and Goddesses often embody both male and female energies, as do we all. I think that is a universal understanding that Gods and Goddesses are not human. How you conceptualize them is up to personal interpretation but I would not use the word Hermaphrodite to describe Dionysus.

Here is an interesting article that discusses this idea

http://home.earthlink.net/~delia5/pa...dnys-donnr.htm