Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM
samsara4

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
To ask the question what is the Tao is ignorant, to answer the question what is the Tao is stupid. I can't remember who said that, but its true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libelula
Whoever said it was an idiot.

In the east, it is often said that Avidya (ignorance) is the root of all perceived problems. It is also said that "He who says he knows, knows not. He who says he knows not, knows."

Hence, "to ask the question what is the Tao is (indeed) ignorant (avidya)" but this is NOT mean in the pejorative sense.

Furthermore, "to answer the question what is the Tao is (indeed) stupid" because he who says that he knows really does not know and is (indeed) "stupid".

Lord Jesus is reported to have said, "Do not throw pearls before swine". This is a simple statement of fact. It is not meant to be derogatory. Just as a kindergarten student cannot be expected to understand the intricacies of quantum physics (and shouldn't be expected to understand it), so it is not wise to prematurely state to the ignorant what is obvious to the enlightened. They simply won't understand and won't appreciate it.

Many masters insist that disciples and students be silent even for years before being allowed to ask their first question. The reasons should be obvious. They are supposed to listen, observe, and understand somewhat in this manner before asking "ignorant" initial questions.

P.S. I was a Phi Beta Kappa in college and, by academic standards, I am considered to be very intelligent. However, when I think back to some of the initial questions I asked my spiritual mentor, they are unquestioningly "ignorant" when seen in retrospect and in hindsight. I was once quite clueless despite my academic "intelligence". Do NOT take ignorance or "not knowing" in the wrong way.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:11 AM
Ascender

I resonate most closely with revolver's thought of Tao, in that it is everything and nothing at the same time.

That is also my understanding of God, which is a collective consciousness that permeates everything and everyone.

I see Tao and God to be the same thing, said differently.
Old 14-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Master
What is Taoism?

For some time, I have been fascinated by the attempts made by so many to qualify, quantify, identify, or deify the Inaffable, Infinite Essence. I've come to the realization that any such attempts to do so are as futile as describing the color of a mirror.....especially if you are both the mirror, and That which is "reflected" in it!

How can such a paradox be ? As indicated in the 1st reference: "Physiological reality, take me literally... is a mirror, it is just a more complex mirror, a holographic mirror... a multi-dimensional mirror, so that you don't always recognize all the reflections as you, but believe me... they are... .all the reflections are you, and I mean literally every object, person, place and thing, every situation... every circumstance, every moment of time and space is you being reflected back to yourself, from the particular point of view you chose to express at that particular moment. The idea therefore, is to understand, that what you will always discover, will simply be All That Is expressing itself through the unique portion of All That Is you were created to be. Remember the Second Law: "The One is All, the All are One". Every component of the All That Is, all of you... all of us, every individuated being... every individuated concept, is the whole expressing itself as a part. Important point... I'll rewind that and repeat it, because we understand that you have been trained to think segregationally, sometimes individuals on your planet may miss the point, all of you are, yes... a part of the whole, but as a part of the whole, you are the Whole expressing Itself as "a part of the whole". Big difference than just thinking of yourself as a part of the whole without the other side. You have to understand yourself holigraphically, it is this and that... not this or that. So, you are the part... you are the whole, you are both one and the same, but expressing the whole as a part."

You are the essence of Tao as much as Tao is the essence of you and all of Creation.

Experiencing Tao would be like feeling what Moses suddenly understood what God meant when He told Moses Who He is:

I AM THAT I AM AND BESIDE ME THERE IS NO OTHER....

There being "no other" than.....the Creator of ALL there is, then Who must WE (and Moses) be ??

The answer to that question can be spoken or even thought about, but ACTUALLY EXPERIENCING it as the "this and that" Truth of YOU....

...cannot be described, only experienced.

Tao is a name given by philosopher Lao Tzu to That which cannot be defined or expressed, with ANY name or word or thought.

All There Is being this and that, one can only silently point to the verity of Lao Tzu's quote: He who knows does not speak. He who speaks does not know".....

Accordingly, lest one be tempted to espouse that there are no "Gods" in Taoism...

...be equally aware that there is no Tao in Taoism, by the same inaffable, unspeakable profundity.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself"....because thy neighbor IS Thyself !

Do you feel it? It is...

Reference: http://www.bashar.org/transcriptfundamentals.html

Reference: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...lao_tzu_2.html
Old 18-09-2014, 05:01 PM
zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
.Well in truth your one with all there is, the mind or ego makes you seem separate from all there is, so take away the mind and where are you, that is what you have to realize for yourself, and when this is realized, you simply live it, there is nothing more to do.

I missed this but it sure sounds like zombie talk!

(I never realized this was already something etc)
Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Kamila

wow u guys make it sound so obvious AND u hv a name for it ..wow this is so great bc I used to feel like i was the only one who has sensed "it" but then again talking about it surely does take away its magic ..I mean as far as defining goes ...but it is very helpful at the same time. Thank you
Old 21-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Djanaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsara4
In the east, it is often said that Avidya (ignorance) is the root of all perceived problems. It is also said that "He who says he knows, knows not. He who says he knows not, knows."
That's sage advice, but where exactly does that quote come from? Branching off from this, I've also heard it said that Socrates (quite rightly) claimed that admitting ones' initial lack of knowledge is one of the first, best steps towards the pursuit of wisdom.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Soraisu

Much love and appreciation to the paradoxical definitions towards the Tao. :)

One of my personal favourites from the modern translated version...

The Tao is like a well,
Used but never used up.
It is like the eternal void,
Filled with infinite possibilities.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:49 PM
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN YANG

From the 'NAMELESS FORMLESS' Called the Tao or the Way there 'LURKS' a hidden intelligence for lack of knowing we tend to call this 'GOD'.

From nothing the Tao creates the universe through the Big-Bang, which if truly seen turns out to be the yin-yang symbol in its true and hidden form.

I call this notion and this creative principle the:

'PILLAR OF LIGHT' (POL).

The POL when formed begins with a 16 Phase Motion *8 x 8*.

This means it moves 8 motions then reflex's said motions by moving in its opposite direction 8 motions.

The RAYS from the POL then combine after the 16 Phase Motion to begin the melding of physics principles and thus the Big-Bang is created and this nurtures into what the Taoist call the 'TEN THOUSAND THINGS'.

Man sets as the highest in 'ALL' creation with the capability to gain the peak of knowledge through inversion to the within or meditation which goes back to the source thereby giving one 'IMMORTALITY' of the spirit.

The body 'WILL' die but not the essence which is the higher spiritual consciousness.

GD Y Y
Old 09-01-2015, 12:23 AM
Soraisu

Quote:
Well in truth your one with all there is, the mind or ego makes you seem separate from all there is, so take away the mind and where are you, that is what you have to realize for yourself, and when this is realized, you simply live it, there is nothing more to do.

Very lovely :)

Quote:
So,you just live in the moment and go with the flow of things?

A wonderful step in the right direction! I have re-read the Tao Te Ching a handful of times in the past four years. It never fails to spring new connections and give me more insight towards myself and the world each and every time. I would recommend reading it once or twice, pondering on it, reflecting on it, going about your spiritual path and perhaps picking it back up again whenever it feels right. :)

It is quite difficult to define something that cannot be defined, because it is neither nothing nor everything, it's somewhere in the centre that just is, but also isn't. When something is named, it becomes defined. Things with definition create a clinging onto the idea that it can defined, thus it is not the Tao.

:) !
Old 14-01-2015, 04:13 PM
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN YANG

Now The Tao can not be named............we all agree.

BUT........From The Tao comes the yin-yang.

From the yin-yang comes a philosophy based on the Unity of the Duality.

From the ideals of the yin-yang philosophy's and the Pa Qua we have the I-Ching.

From the I Ching we develop the science of the yin-yang and the yin-yang symbol.

From the yin-yang comes the yin-yang symbol as the symbol of the Unity of Duality.

This science in turn allows for the science of the Internal Martial Arts.

Examples:

TAI CHI CHUAN

HSING YI

BA QUA

LO HO BA FA

And the many others that use these balance principals to develop a higher kung fu.

So................even though....................The Tao............can not be spoken.

The Tao does issue from the Nameless Formless....the science of the .................................................. .........................................YIN-YANG

From the classic yin-yang symbol then comes the:

Yin-Yang Secrets Invention (YYSI).

The 'NEW' science of the yin-yang revealing 'ALL' that has been 'HIDDEN' since this concept first appeared in human consciousness.

GD Y Y