Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 17-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Kenneth

The 1st Commandment - Real Meaning

The first commandment says that, “I am the LORD your GOD, thou shall not have any other GODS before me.”

What a wonderful instruction from GOD and I beleive that we need to understand the commandment more clearly.

At the time when Moses received the Ten Commandments from GOD and when he went up the hill, the people downhill had forgotten all the favours received from GOD and thought that Moses will not return. So they started merry making indulging in bad acts and created a golden calf to symbolise their new acts, ideas and celebrate their new lifestyle. That was very free and pervert unlike teachings of Moses. So When Moses returned and saw his people indulging in these acts, he then realised why GOD gave him the commandments.

What GOD actually meant by telling “Though shall not have any other GOD’s” is to avoid all the unnatural, pervert, and false acts that are against righteousness and order, that the people of Moses worshiped GOD in the form of a Golden Calf. Here it is not the idol but the ideas that the people of Moses worshiped or followed that GOD condemned.

Some EGOISTIC people for some ulterior motives, have not interpreted GOD’s words rightly to the world. The result is that till today, many of us have shunned, feared and even insulted other religions by a very wrong understanding of this Commandment.

That but that too is GOD’s plan beacuse nothing in this world good or bad happens without his will. So I accept, because certain false things are allowed to be free in this world and at the end they fail and start giving better clarity to truth.

I wish that others especially my Christian friends see spirituality in a more broader sense.

From what I know as a born Christian, Jesus never coined the name Christ or Christian. All he preached was about wisdom, meaning to hear, speak and do good and refrain from sin and hatred and love thy neighbour as thyself and accept GOD and other words of wisdom. Jesus never mentioned anything about Christianity or be Christian. Only people have coined the word Christian.

When man began to interpret his philosophy based on Jesus, his real teachings were side-lined and came out as a religion of Christianity then was further sub-dived into Protestants, Pentecostals, and so on. The religion became more popular than his real teachings.

I am not against Christianity and Jesus. My intention is to express about Jesus in his purest form without any ulterior motives.

The world has to move from Religion to Sprituality and let us accept all the opposites and differences that GOD has created as it is. For e.g. There could be different religions but let us accept that it is the very same GOD whom we believe, created other religions and its people as well. Even atheists are created by GOD for a reason.

There is a saying, which means that standing on the shore of the ocean, we can never really imagine and understand the vastness of ocean. All we know is the waves that sweep through our feet.

We need to look beyond our ego, our religion and our experiences in life, to the people and the world around us to really understand Spirituality in its truest sense.
Old 17-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Simon Karlos

Fish

Hi Kenneth. Very beautifully and wisely written and communicated, my brother. Bless you and thank you kindly! -Kar
Old 17-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth
...The religion became more popular than his real teachings.

...There is a saying, which means that standing on the shore of the ocean, we can never really imagine and understand the vastness of ocean. All we know is the waves that sweep through our feet.

We need to look beyond our ego, our religion and our experiences in life, to the people and the world around us to really understand Spirituality in its truest sense.
I agree with Kar... beautifully put, Kenneth.
I feel similarly - that the religion has morphed & become more popular than the essential teachings. The search for God tends to be more external than internal.

Today, I took my kids to a different church! We walked in late, & I didn't know where to take my kids, so they just came with me. The preacher spoke about instead of expecting to be entertained, preparing ourselves to worship. My son whispered to me, "What does worship mean?" Later I explained that it's what you focus on & really want... which makes me realize I don't always live up to the 1st commandment - though I try.
I want my kids to be aware of & respect other beliefs & "ways to God."
Old 18-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Master

Quote:
From what I know as a born Christian, Jesus never coined the name Christ or Christian.
It is true that he never coined the word. The word Christ means anointed one and is the Greek equivalent of the Jewish word Messiah. The Old Testament contains many prophesies that God would send such a person and Jesus claimed that he was the fulfillment of these prophecies.
Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
(Matthew 16:16-17 ESV)

The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.”
(John 4:25-26 ESV)

Old 18-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Ascender
Quote:
I wish that others especially my Christian friends see spirituality in a more broader sense.

The world has to move from Religion to Sprituality and let us accept all the opposites and differences that GOD has created as it is. For e.g. There could be different religions but let us accept that it is the very same GOD whom we believe, created other religions and its people as well.

imo, religion in general refers to the three Abrahamic religions (Jewish, Christian, Muslim). The other religions in the world are natural based and do not claim to be holders of a truth handed to them by God in the form of a book. These three religious groups all have the same God already and it always amazes me that they do not know it.

First part of the Word of God was the Torah, but the Jews idolize their heritage and get cut off.

Second part is the Gospel, but the Christians followed after false teachings and make Jesus into an idol, so they are eventually also cut off.

Third and final part is the Qur'an, and the Muslims will be tried by God over and over because they turn Muhammad into an idol and lift him above the other prophets and the messiah.