Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Mind's Eye

Negative Religion

Why do some individuals believe that they can convert the masses by always spouting off about hellfire and brimstone, God's wrath, an angry God and telling people they are rotten sinners?

Why do some individuals think that they can convert the world by threats of violence, death, suicide bombers and killing those who do not believe in their "faith."

Why do some individuals think that it is a winning tactic to spit out scripture after scripture that says that Jesus will return and cut the heathens to pieces and then assign them a place in the lake of fire? Why do some act so ignorantly and with such malice and anger, yet point fingers at everyone else and tell them they are going to suffer for eternity or be left behind in some rapture event?

Do fear tactic, anger, threats and insults really sound like good conversion tactics?

I do not care what anyone says or how they wish to defend such hateful attitudes. If someone is using these tactics, they are not acting out of love for others in any way shape or form. Does not Jesus say that the greatest commandment was love? Then many have broken this commandment with their arrogance and disdain for other human beings.

Maybe these people will be the ones who cry in the last day, "Lord, Lord, didn't we do such and such in your name?"

And he will answer them, "depart from me you workers of iniquity, for I never knew you."
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Ascender
Sphinx,

I agree wholeheartedly. Well said. There's far too much of that in the world today. If only everyone would ask "What would love do?"
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Shim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sphinx
Why do some individuals believe that they can convert the masses by always spouting off about hellfire and brimstone, God's wrath, an angry God and telling people they are rotten sinners?

Why do some individuals think that they can convert the world by threats of violence, death, suicide bombers and killing those who do not believe in their "faith."

Why do some individuals think that it is a winning tactic to spit out scripture after scripture that says that Jesus will return and cut the heathens to pieces and then assign them a place in the lake of fire? Why do some act so ignorantly and with such malice and anger, yet point fingers at everyone else and tell them they are going to suffer for eternity or be left behind in some rapture event?

Do fear tactic, anger, threats and insults really sound like good conversion tactics?

I do not care what anyone says or how they wish to defend such hateful attitudes. If someone is using these tactics, they are not acting out of love for others in any way shape or form. Does not Jesus say that the greatest commandment was love? Then many have broken this commandment with their arrogance and disdain for other human beings.

Maybe these people will be the ones who cry in the last day, "Lord, Lord, didn't we do such and such in your name?"

And he will answer them, "depart from me you workers of iniquity, for I never knew you."

If a person judges the act of sin and not the person can they claim to be accepting and not against them?

If a parent loves their children will they discipline them, or are illegitimate children of a parent loved more by not disciplining them therefore not warning them of any disciplinary action?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Mind's Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triner
Sphinx,

I agree wholeheartedly. Well said. There's far too much of that in the world today. If only everyone would ask "What would love do?"

I don't think many religions teach or believe in love anymore Triner. I think it has become a catchphrase or perhaps a sweet word to lure the weary soul into the dungeons of dogma.

Fear then replaces love because with love we are free.. but with fear we are prisoners.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Mind's Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim
If a person judges the act of sin and not the person can they claim to be accepting and not against them?

If a parent loves their children will they discipline them, or are illegitimate children of a parent loved more by not disciplining them therefore not warning them of any disciplinary action?

That would be nice if that is what most religionists believed.... but you know as well as I do, that you do not feel this way in your own heart when you debate with the "unsaved."

It is easy to quote the proper texts, scriptures and responses from those in the pulpit... it is quite another to live and feel what the words are actually saying.

The Divine knows our hearts, we can hide behind all of the popular phrases we wish... but God knows when they are just a decoration for a darker soul.

-I believe I just gave you a bit of a reading-
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Shim

Quote:
That would be nice if that is what most religionists believed.... but you know as well as I do, that you do not feel this way in your own heart when you debate with the "unsaved."

It is easy to quote the proper texts, scriptures and responses from those in the pulpit... it is quite another to live and feel what the words are actually saying.

The Divine knows our hearts, we can hide behind all of the popular phrases we wish... but God knows when they are just a decoration for a darker soul.

-I believe I just gave you a bit of a reading-

Not yet, but perhaps after others share in their criticisms. I don't mind.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Ascender
Quote:
I don't think many religions teach or believe in love anymore Triner. I think it has become a catchphrase or perhaps a sweet word to lure the weary soul into the dungeons of dogma.

Fear then replaces love because with love we are free.. but with fear we are prisoners.

Yes, and to me it appears that many religions are more concerned with keeping people in their religious hamster wheel than allowing them to think for themselves.

"Dungeons of dogma" That's excellent! Mind if I borrow that?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Shim

Quote:
Yes, and to me it appears that many religions are more concerned with keeping people in their religious hamster wheel than allowing them to think for themselves.

Are religious dogmas negative or beneficial? Do they lead to non critical thinking and an inability to analyse situations?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Mind's Eye

Quote:

Borrow away.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim
Are religious dogmas negative or beneficial? Do they lead to non critical thinking and an inability to analyse situations?
Absolutely negative. Dogma has one NOT think for themselves. Dogma merely has others think for oneself.