Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 27-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Knower

Why do we meditate ? What is it that i want to achieve ?

Hello Spiritual Seekers,

All of us are somewhere in their journey, some have started recently, while others have spent years on this seeking.

I would just like to point out that isnt it important that we start with asking the most basic, fundamental and the most rational question to ourselves.

What is it that i want to achieve through meditation ? What is meditation ?

Guys i found this video, its a 19 Min video and I suggest you to take some time and listen to it patiently whenever you have the luxury of time.

I know some advanced people might just ignore it because of it is a answering a very basic question which i hope they have answered to themselves sincerely.

I am not supporting the speaker, nor do i accept what he is saying. I think he is pointing out to a very valid, fundamental and basic question of meditation. Which we should see no matter where we are in our journey.

Just wanted to share this.
Video Subject: Has sitting quietly to observe thought any value? by J. Krishnamurti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IS1zW6In4

P.S . Advanced people will relate to it really well
Old 27-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.kishan
What is meditation?

You cant be serious! That is actually the answer!

Quote:
What is it that i want to achieve through meditation ?

The smile is the answer!

Note: please don’t consider this as flippant. It is in utmost earnestness

Old 27-03-2020, 04:30 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

The smile is the answer!

Note: please don’t consider this as flippant. It is in utmost earnestness

I think i get your point
If i am not wrong, you got this answer by going in to it. Which is seeing what it is. Through some analysis,experience or whatever.

Sir i am pointing this out since we humans make mistake to perceive this word and then fall into all kinds of illusory perceptions about it.

We dont ask ourselves that whether we have any motive ? Why do we want to meditate ? To reach somewhere ? A state which is permanent and full of peace ?

So this video is a bit inquiry into that.
Old 27-03-2020, 05:07 PM
Master

Quote:
What is it that i want to achieve through meditation ? What is meditation ?

There can be many answers to it . The answer is simple (which u too wrote in another thread) to have pleasure/peace / serenity/excitement /challenge continuously all the times independently and also to enable/help others do so .

This is like people playing amateur games just to have fun /excitement even though one does not get any money / food / material consideration . Spiritual people try to have the same at a very large level in life.

Meditation helps in accomplishing all these .

Hope this may help u find the answer.
Old 27-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Master
When you meditate you get in a different state of mind, literally. Your brain goes into different brainwaves and depending on the depth of this it will trigger different parts of the brain and will make it more coherent in how it works.
The autonomic nervous systems begins to work differently and activates different genes, producing different hormones that generate health and reduce the genes, hormones etc that create illness, stress, anxiety.
If you meditate regularly this becomes easier, new neural pathways are formed and you will become more coherent and healthier in day to day life too.
It also allows to sense what you really want to do, receive guidance from your Monad or Spirit and so on.
All in all it can completely change your life around, make you feel much better, healthier, and happier, and enhance any intuitive abilities you have.

I think most do it to find peace of mind, get answers or more clarity, and because they simply feel better when doing it.
Old 27-03-2020, 05:20 PM
Master

@ Hitesh Shah

Yes. Krishnamurthy is deep.

Immersed in turbidity, deluded and anxious, fraught with fears and swamped by desires, our life spins out of control. The rainbows and horizons we chase elude us. Happiness is fleeting.

Realising the futility of finding eternal joy in the external ephemeral, we finally one day voluntarily decide to turn inwards, seeking happiness in permanence. We do so by slowing down the identified elements which are the cause of our instability, namely uncontrolled thoughts, irrational fears and selfish desires.

In short, we do not do anything. We undo. This is not easy because we have been taught that whatever we attain is by striving. Here there is no effort, no concentration, simply shifting of attention into a zone of silence. It kind of reminds us of the current virus crisis where a large section of society finds it difficult to just sit at home! Should be easy but apparently it isn’t. Shows us how much enslaved we are to habits.

To begin with, we can say that meditation is an experiment at self healing ... to feel calmer. A therapy. What else? We don’t know what’s on offer beyond this. But we then go deeper. We ask in innocence for a divine connection ... call it anything, connection with universal consciousness, connection with God. Yes. Why ask for less?

As sincerity of purpose and resolve strengthens, we decide one day to renounce any one negativity in thought, word and deed. Something that troubles us. We throw it out.

No sooner we do this, we empty ourselves, so to speak. The void within gives space for the divine energy to manifest within. Love is the attribute of this energy, felt as bubbling joy, impulsive empathy, all encompassing compassion, purity of heart and ineffable ecstatic bliss in permanence.

We do not seek, since identity recedes. We simply reclaim our veiled divinity within.

Oh ... where were we? Meditation. Let it be an ever present flowing orientation rather than a doing. A burning yearning to connect with the divine as our highest priority. Love in love with love for love alone. No motive.

Old 27-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Master

in total agreement with u

Quote:

@ Hitesh Shah

Immersed in turbidity, deluded and anxious, fraught with fears and swamped by desires, our life spins out of control. The rainbows and horizons we chase elude us. Happiness is fleeting.

Realising the futility of finding eternal joy in the external ephemeral, we finally one day voluntarily decide to turn inwards, seeking happiness in permanence. We do so by slowing down the identified elements which are the cause of our instability, namely uncontrolled thoughts, irrational fears and selfish desires.

In short, we do not do anything. We undo. This is not easy because we have been taught that whatever we attain is by striving. Here there is no effort, no concentration, simply shifting of attention into a zone of silence. It kind of reminds us of the current virus crisis where a large section of society finds it difficult to just sit at home! Should be easy but apparently it isn’t. Shows us how much enslaved we are to habits.

To begin with, we can say that meditation is an experiment at self healing ... to feel calmer. A therapy. What else? We don’t know what’s on offer beyond this. But we then go deeper. We ask in innocence for a divine connection ... call it anything, connection with universal consciousness, connection with God. Yes. Why ask for less?

As sincerity of purpose and resolve strengthens, we decide one day to renounce any one negativity in thought, word and deed. Something that troubles us. We throw it out.

No sooner we do this, we empty ourselves, so to speak. The void within gives space for the divine energy to manifest within. Love is the attribute of this energy, felt as bubbling joy, impulsive empathy, all encompassing compassion, purity of heart and ineffable ecstatic bliss in permanence.

We do not seek, since identity recedes. We simply reclaim our veiled divinity within.

Oh ... where were we? Meditation. Let it be an ever present flowing orientation rather than a doing. A burning yearning to connect with the divine as our highest priority. Love in love with love for love alone. No motive.

Hi US ,
I am in complete agreement with your observation and in fact these are the very principles we have been taught and we try to live by. We may differ in nuances and trivia but not substantively.

Re Krishnamurthy also I know . He is considered authority on spirituality in many circles and I recognise that and I have very high regard for him.

Hitesh
Old 27-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Knower

Quote:

@ Hitesh Shah

Sir this is exactly what i was pointing out, but i decided not to write this time but to show this to people through this video as it is common human thing that people might have rejected simply because I said it.
If its krishnamurti, they will give some value.

I dont want any value to credit, just wanted to point his out.

We see endlessly, we chase everlastingly. We create methods to stop the mind, we do meditations to to control the mind chatter. And that very CONTROL brings about a conflict which deepens the chatter and hence we are NEVER SILENT.

Exactly as you said, having realized the futility of it, all our fears, thoughts, ideas. We empty ourselves from them, we drop them(This dosent mean any method or we drop it consciously, THE FACT WHEN IS REALIZED, THE OTHER IS NOT). Then without having to control the mind, the mind becomes silent on it own.

And then begins the Living meditation :)
Old 27-03-2020, 06:46 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
There can be many answers to it . The answer is simple (which u too wrote in another thread) to have pleasure/peace / serenity/excitement /challenge continuously all the times independently and also to enable/help others do so .

This is like people playing amateur games just to have fun /excitement even though one does not get any money / food / material consideration . Spiritual people try to have the same at a very large level in life.

Meditation helps in accomplishing all these .

Hope this may help u find the answer.

Great observation.
But how, people like you and me, who dont want to accomplish anything, will meditate ?
And the question is deeper.

When you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to get from the meditation. Why would we even meditate ?
Old 27-03-2020, 06:52 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
When you meditate you get in a different state of mind, literally. Your brain goes into different brainwaves and depending on the depth of this it will trigger different parts of the brain and will make it more coherent in how it works.
The autonomic nervous systems begins to work differently and activates different genes, producing different hormones that generate health and reduce the genes, hormones etc that create illness, stress, anxiety.
If you meditate regularly this becomes easier, new neural pathways are formed and you will become more coherent and healthier in day to day life too.
It also allows to sense what you really want to do, receive guidance from your Monad or Spirit and so on.
All in all it can completely change your life around, make you feel much better, healthier, and happier, and enhance any intuitive abilities you have.

I think most do it to find peace of mind, get answers or more clarity, and because they simply feel better when doing it.

With all due respect. And the most important thing.
I have followed practices, meditations and yoga.

So now, please follow.
Isnt it that sitting quietly and slowing down the brain waves dulls the brain ? In a way that it becomes repetitive ?

That is, i sit to meditate every day for 1 hour 3 times a day and i follow a pattern or mantra to slow my brainwaves and as we know that the brain gets used to it. We do a thing, we keep on repeating it, it becomes repetitive. Thats simple to see.

Now, my brain is conditioned on a mantra, or a photo or a any symbol and i meditate on it for years. It gets conditioned. Then we see all kinds of illusory stuff. That our brain is projecting. Sir, with all due respect, i am not saying that spirit guides are not there and they dont help. They are there. But, how if it is just a mere projection of mind ? Which is repeating a mantra or pratice since years, seeing a photo of Shiva or Jesus for years, And then have visions of it ?

P.S, I get what you are saying and i agree with that. I am not opposing or rejecting you. Its a further inquiry into your answer which i want to pursue :)