Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 22-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Newbie ;)

Spiritual Warfare

So.. i was wondering, does anyone else have the pleasure of dealing with this:

My family is absolutely ridiculous at times, no one can get along with each other and any disagreement about anything just turns into throwing bible verses back and forth into each others faces trying to wrong the other person for there doing. It just turns into a "he said she said" scenario and its completely alienated everyone. Even to the point of ordering religious books online and mailing them to one another. There have been estrangements up to 20 years between some members and i am on the verge of having to do so too.. It's so stupid because its all a misunderstanding but no one can put aside the differences and stand to sit in the same room with one another to work it out.

It's so overwhelming and i struggle to see the light at the end of the tunnel, can someone please give me some comforting advice or perhaps share a story of their own experience?
Old 22-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Master

Families can be ridiculous.

If they like bible verses you could always try quoting John 13:34 to your family:

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

But at the end of the day, we cannot change other people. They are what they are. Maybe all you can do is rest in your own centre and observe them with detachment and compassion, for they are like children in adult bodies.

Peace
Old 22-04-2020, 10:07 PM
Newbie ;)

**** that's is a great comeback. Although i myself am treading my distance. Thank you though
Old 23-04-2020, 09:14 PM
Lorelyen

You could always try making it known that you're turning to a different religion - say, Buddhism, so their hurling Biblical quotes at you will be meaningless. Learn a few Buddhist principles in case you need to use them. (I'm not a Buddhist but it does seem to have a certain wisdom above Constantine's Bible.)
Old 24-04-2020, 07:57 AM
Master
It's the hypocrisy that's so galling... speaking of Bible verses, one does rather spring to mind:
Quote:
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye? - Luke 6:41
Though of course that also applies to me and you, too, and it's a heck of a lot harder to apply these principles than it is to quote them (and goodness knows I do love a good quote). I think the best we can do is to lead by example as best we can, and to keep in mind Jesus' words as he hung on the cross: 'Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do'. Easier said than done, of course, and it's also important to forgive yourself if you do feel anger, resentment, bitterness, etc., towards your family.
Old 24-04-2020, 07:45 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
You could always try making it known that you're turning to a different religion - say, Buddhism, so their hurling Biblical quotes at you will be meaningless. Learn a few Buddhist principles in case you need to use them. (I'm not a Buddhist but it does seem to have a certain wisdom above Constantine's Bible.)

You could have a lot of fun with this approach. Perhaps instead of saying you are now a Buddhist you could announce that you have turned to Voodoo. Then sacrifice a couple of chickens in the living room - that might shock your family into silence (or at least unite them in their condemnation of you)!

Peace
Old 27-04-2020, 05:43 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlookex

My family is absolutely ridiculous at times, no one can get along with each other and any disagreement about anything just turns into throwing bible verses back and forth into each others faces trying to wrong the other person for there doing. It just turns into a "he said she said" scenario and its completely alienated everyone. Even to the point of ordering religious books online and mailing them to one another. There have been estrangements up to 20 years between some members and i am on the verge of having to do so too.. It's so stupid because its all a misunderstanding but no one can put aside the differences and stand to sit in the same room with one another to work it out.

It's so overwhelming and i struggle to see the light at the end of the tunnel, can someone please give me some comforting advice or perhaps share a story of their own experience?
OMG! My friend, who is about 70 years old, told me that her childhood was like that. Her family fought all the time but never said what they were angry about, just quoted bible verses at each other. She said at a very young age she read and memorized as much of the bible as she could to protect herself in an argument with her older siblings.

She left home, married, when she was 16 and her husband was in the air force so they traveled a lot. When she was in her late 20's they moved back to her home town where everyone kept insisting she go to church. She had learned a lot by then and did not feel like it was a good place for her, but one day someone insisted and took her to church where they had an exorcism ready for her. As soon as she walked in she realized the plan and ran away. Literally ran down the street with the congregation chasing her. I can't even imagine that, but I am telling the story to let you know that you are not alone in this.

Keep yourself strong in your own mind and let the others have at it, just side step as much as you can and keep yourself armed with relevant bible verses when you need them, and do what you think is right in spite of the family.

Blessings to you.
Old 27-04-2020, 10:49 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHairedWoman
OMG! My friend, who is about 70 years old, told me that her childhood was like that. Her family fought all the time but never said what they were angry about, just quoted bible verses at each other. She said at a very young age she read and memorized as much of the bible as she could to protect herself in an argument with her older siblings.

She left home, married, when she was 16 and her husband was in the air force so they traveled a lot. When she was in her late 20's they moved back to her home town where everyone kept insisting she go to church. She had learned a lot by then and did not feel like it was a good place for her, but one day someone insisted and took her to church where they had an exorcism ready for her. As soon as she walked in she realized the plan and ran away. Literally ran down the street with the congregation chasing her. I can't even imagine that, but I am telling the story to let you know that you are not alone in this.

Keep yourself strong in your own mind and let the others have at it, just side step as much as you can and keep yourself armed with relevant bible verses when you need them, and do what you think is right in spite of the family.

Blessings to you.

oh man that sounds awful! i'm glad she made it out of that one! my situation hasn't gotten that bad but it's still comforting to know that my family isn't the only one. thank you for your reply.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:52 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlookex

Is your family willing to explore other texts on spirituality or is this a non option?
Old 06-05-2020, 08:39 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
You could have a lot of fun with this approach. Perhaps instead of saying you are now a Buddhist you could announce that you have turned to Voodoo. Then sacrifice a couple of chickens in the living room - that might shock your family into silence (or at least unite them in their condemnation of you)!

Peace
nice!! I'd love to be there when this event takes place