Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 21-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Master
I'm sure they can talk just fine and throw a Jew and a Muslim in there too... it's the cosmopolitan way... of course if you are a dogmatic person it seems a big problem and if you aren't religious at all it doesn't matter one bit.

No problem that everyone in the room damns eachother to hell and each one doing the damning is a shoe in for heaven/nirvana... everyone can't be right.
Old 22-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
The ultimate in Christian belief is God. Buddhism goes beyond that to what can be called the 'Godhead'.
Christianity and Buddhism are compatible up to a point, after which Buddhism leaves everything behind.
The article Shim refers to is not quite accurate in one respect:

First, there are Buddhist practitioners, Theravada, who do not relate to a personal God, but even if they do as in Mahayana or Vajrayana, there is an understanding that the deities and gods imagined and prayed to do not really exist. They are temporary and useful concepts to facilitate practice and teaching, but unlike the Christian God and soul, have no permanence. Therein lies all the difference between Christianity and Buddhism.

pre-dawn - Christianity teaches that the soul lives on forever through Christ, and certainly God lives on forever so I'm not understanding your comment about the Christian God and soul have no permanence. But feel free to explain.

Blackraven
Old 22-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragblack
But some Christians can conceive of it, thus they also turn to Buddhism.

tragblack - I can conceive of it, that's why I started this thread. Do I feel a hint of support?

Blackraven
Old 22-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Different christians believe different things and different buddhists believe different things, and it doesn't matter.

If one would follow Christ then emulate Christ by being kind and compassionate, or if one follow the buddah then emulate buddah in the same way.

Gem -I like what you said here, especially about emulating Christ by being kind and compassionate or following Buddah in the same way. Why does one have to choose to reject one or the other?

Blackraven
Old 22-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim
The only rituals I am familiar with in Christianity are baptism and communion. What about Buddhism?

Shim - There are so many more. As an adolescent I made my confirmation for example.

Blackraven
Old 22-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah
Sure, why not.. I like bits & pieces from all different teachings, for me, I see them all pointing to the same nature/reality.
There was a chap called Thomas Merton, a Catholic/Trappist monk who embraced eastern teachings such as Buddhism & Zen, you might find his work interesting.

Elijah - I googled Thomas Merton and there appears to be a lot of information on him in reference to his journey through Catholicism and acceptance of Eastern religions (philosophies). I will do some reading. Thank you for the tip!

Blackraven
Old 22-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
I disagree with much of the Christian interpretation of Buddhism at the link #4 "How does a Christian Converse with a Buddhist "

As for kamma/karma,it isn't some kind of cosmic punishment system as some people mistakenly believe it to be.

this is a helpful Buddhist link:

"Kamma and Rebirth by Ajahn Sumedho"

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books2/Ajahn_Sumedho_Cittaviveka.htm#KAMMA AND REBIRTH

excerpt :

Samana - Kamma sounds like Christianity's version of hell. And mindfulness sounds like confession of sins. I would like to think I could escape wrongdoings from the past, and I'm very mindful of past misgivings, but what exactly does that mean for the soul's future?

Blackraven
Old 22-03-2011, 04:46 PM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
pre-dawn - Christianity teaches that the soul lives on forever through Christ, and certainly God lives on forever so I'm not understanding your comment about the Christian God and soul have no permanence. But feel free to explain.
You misunderstood, it wasn't a reference to Christian ideas but Buddhist ones. In Buddhist terms absolutely nothing has any permanence, everything is change, and that would include any God, and anything we think forms part of a human being.

Dogen is quoted as having said: "From the very beginning nothing exists". How then could there be anything that is eternal?

However, one does find Buddhists who refer to deities, pray in front of statues, although not to them, speak of Dakinis, assembled masters, etc. One should not make the mistake to think that these entities are in some way permanent or even real, as in having an independent existence. They all belong to something called 'the skillful means' which are temporary inventions, devices, ideas, concepts, created to assist us in overcoming a hurdle, difficulty, or human condition.

They are all rafts, used to get to the other shore across the river, but once we have reached the other shore there is no use for the raft anymore. If we hand on to the raft it becomes a burden, so discard it and move on. If we need to cross the river again we'll just build another raft.
Old 22-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven
Samana - Kamma sounds like Christianity's version of hell. And mindfulness sounds like confession of sins. I would like to think I could escape wrongdoings from the past, and I'm very mindful of past misgivings, but what exactly does that mean for the soul's future?

Hi Blackraven, the Buddha said kamma is intention. I've no idea where you've got the hell idea from. We have an intention, we act on it - that's kamma (or we choose not to act it out)

Did you read the link from Ajahn Sumedho?

Mindfulness just means remembering the teachings and being present and aware of what we're doing from moment to moment.

There is no soul in Buddhism, that's a Christian concept.

The Buddha's core teachings are the 4 Noble Truths, Dependent Origination and also the Three Characteristic of Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta. (Impermanence, Suffering/Stress and Not-self)

with metta,

Samana
Old 22-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
However, one does find Buddhists who refer to deities, pray in front of statues, although not to them, speak of Dakinis, assembled masters, etc. One should not make the mistake to think that these entities are in some way permanent or even real, as in having an independent existence. They all belong to something called 'the skillful means' which are temporary inventions, devices, ideas, concepts, created to assist us in overcoming a hurdle, difficulty, or human condition.

These are Tibetan Buddhist practices and there are cultural add-ons and much over-emphasis on gurus in that tradition.

Forest Tradition Theravadins like myself study the Buddha's teachings in the Pali Canon and meditate. This is free from superstition, rituals and later add-ons to the Dhamma.

With metta,

Samana