Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 23-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Master
Namaste.

The weirdest thing just happened.

My family knows I am a Hindu and that I worship Shiva and they have no problem with it, but I have always hidden my worship of Shiva and my practice of Hinduism from their eyes. I thought they may have problems watching me do it, even thought they knew it was happening - out of sight, out of mind...so to speak.

Over the past few days, other people have urged me to be 'genuine', 'open', 'honest' and to fully express my 'true self'...they don't know what they are really asking me to do, do they? :p

...and so it was, that tonight I decided to worship Shiva openly and in front of my mother.

I started off with 108 names of Shiva...Om Yogeshwaraya Namah, Om Rameshwaraya Namah, Om Jatadharaya Namah, Om Gangadharaya Namah, Om Someshwaraya Namah...etc...etc

My mother's jaw dropped with a 'how do you know that?' to which I replied "I learned it"...so my mother thought she would test me..."okay Ms parrot, smarty pants...any bird can speak another language without knowing what it means...exactly what did you say? Then, I went "sure...anything".

Om = universal causal sound or vibration. Namah = the name of, or just name. Yogeshwara = Lord of Yoga. Rameshwara = Lord of Rama. Jatadharaya means dreadlocks or matted hair. Gangadharaya means the river Ganges is in His hair. Someshwaraya means He is the Lord of Soma or nectar...and on...and on it went like this.

She went "okay, so you have managed to learn how to translate all those names...no big deal...do more'.

After that, I went into Linga Ashtakam, Bilva Ashtakam, Shiva Ashtakam, Atma Shatakam...explaining everything in English as I went.

I did the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra (she thought the explanation of that was totally ridiculous). lol

After that, I went into the Shiva Tandavam Stotram, Shiva Kavacham and started the Sri Rudram...all with English 'subtitles' when she went "ENOUGH! - I get it...I get it...this is totally boring. Teach me a Buddhist Mantra" so I simply said "Om Mane Padme Hum" which means "Om The Jewel in the Lotus"...she immediately pointed to her 'Third Eye' and went 'In that lotus?" and I went 'try going one higher' and put my hand over my crown chakra...it's amazing she knew this because she never learned it.

After that, she wanted to learn about Hanuman and Ganesha and why there were 'Monkey Gods' and 'Elephant Gods'...I did my best to give her a 'Hinduism 101' lesson, starting with the Trimurti, which ended up somewhere with Lord Rama returning to Ayodhya and that is why Diwali is celebrated.

I also talked about Lord Murugan and Thaipusam...and why it is celebrated...we ended up talking for 4 hours about the difference between Balinese Hinduism and Indian Hinduism...

In the end, she gave in with a 'you really know your s***, don't you?' to which I simply said "I try"...then, she went off to do the trataka exercise I taught her a week ago when she told me "I really want to meditate, but my mind races too much...what to do?"

Just a tale I thought I'd share.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 23-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Master
Oh, the funniest part of the whole exchange was when I started singing "Namah Shivay Om Namah Shivay...Hara Hara Bhole...Namah Shivay" and she loudly said "HARI BOL" (she had heard Krishna devotees say this). I couldn't contain my mirth. I stopped singing and went into the difference between Hari and Hara as being Hari is 'of Vishnu' and Hara 'of Shiva'. I then wanted go into the whole Ayyappan saga...but thought better of it. She was confused enough already as it was. lol
Old 24-05-2017, 11:48 PM
Master
I did not understand a word that you just said.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Newbie ;)

Namaste everyone! om namah shivaya
Old 14-09-2017, 01:12 AM
Master
Old 23-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Guide
Namaste _/\_

I too worship Shiva

I used to fasting on each MahaShivRatri day.

My Shiva Bless You.
Old 22-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Ascender
Shivani Devi, i don't know where to currently head to in my life. Can you please ask Shiva that what i should do right now in my life?
Old 23-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Old 25-12-2017, 05:15 AM
Master
That's some very nice artwork there. I particularly like the last one. =)

My artistic Shiva- tastes follow the Dwarpalakas of Indonesia, India and Tibet - Like these beautiful offerings:

As well as statues of the Buddhist Mahakala Bernagchen (Siva in cosmic manifest).

Contemporary artists really fail to do Lord Shiva much cosmetic justice whatsoever! lol

I worship Him as Lord Pashupatinath, from the Mojendro Dharo seals:

I worship Him as the Sacred Barong:

http://gothailandgoasean.tourismthai...image-824.jpeg

I'll post some pretty nice artwork next post.

Om Namah Shivaya
Old 25-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Master

Stuff like this is amazing to express my love.

Om Namah Shivaya