Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Sentientno1

feeding hummingbirds

The Aztecs thought hummingbirds were the reincarnated souls of warriors. i find this apt as for such a small beautiful bird it's extremely pugnaciouse about it's territory.

We've taken to hanging the feeders out of sight of each other, but that often doesn't work because the little buggers will sit up high enough to have a view of both feeders and defend them both from other hummers.

they become pretty tame after awhile and learn no one will hurt them, have had some perch on my hand while hanging the feeder or fly thru my arms and sip while hanging it.

Anyone else have ecperiences to share? Or info?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:11 AM
lemongrass

The males are territorial. They will let the females (less colorful ones) perch & drink. They just don’t want another male on there. I start out with 3 feeders, then increase it as they come. Yes keeping some distance between the feeder helps. I have not heard anything about them being reincarnated souls of warriors.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Master
They are such a delight. I'm a transplant from the east coast and where I grew up they were much smaller than the west coast version. Maybe their shiny feathers were likened to armor, shields and that sort of thing by the Aztecs, too. I had no idea they were especially territorial.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Sentientno1

Lemongrass, you must get a lot of them during migration? i see you are located in Tx.
East of the Miss. river we have only one variety, the ruby throat and either it is the species or it's because of the nesting but they will share with no other hummers male or female. So it was nice to learn something about other variety's habits.

silvergirl, they are also very intelligent. One used to sit under our camper awning when it rained, content to keep company with humans. Last week i saw one take refuge in one of those diamond shaped spaces you see in chain link fences. It was the perfect place for protection from another territorial hummer who could not get past the 4 wire sides to deliver a flying blow to the interloper. It sat there calmly while the other one went nuts trying to get at it. LOL.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Master
We sometimes can get lucky to witness these goings on of nature. What a cool thing to see~*

Old 10-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Oh I absolutely ADORE hummingbirds! They are my most favorite kind of bird (I'm also very partial to penguins...so funny to watch, heehee...)

Anyway, I make my own hummingbird nectar from sugar and water (1 cup of sugar and 4 cups water) as I believe it's better for them than buying the stuff with food coloring in it. It is also a lot cheaper to make your own. All you need is the feeder to have red parts on it to help attract the birds. The nectar can be clear and they LOVE it!
Old 28-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Master

I went to Ecuador and went Hummingbird Hunting - it wasn't difficult in the reserves, they are attracted to the colour red and so feeders were put out - with bright red openings for them.

One of my favourite pictures ever taken is of a racquet tail hummingbird, complete with white booties.

In tenerife recently, I was confused by a bug I saw - behaving like a hummingbird. It turned out to be a hummingbird hawk moth. Weirdest creature going!