Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 03-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Experiencer

Why and how should we be good?

I was having unloving thoughts today, and I posed the question, why should I not think these thoughts, and how can I not think them?

Then I got the impression that those questions were basically an intellectual escapism. And I thought, JUST DON'T.

I thought of the bigger question, why and how should we be good? And I felt that, instead of trying to figure out why I should be good, and then having answered that question, figuring out how to do so - JUST BE GOOD.

I felt that the idea to 'just be good' was a sufficient answer to both the why and the how.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Lorelyen

To me it's about living out your higher principles - and keeping those principles under review. Why? Because the purity of your spirit/spirituality rests on it. There's no need to live your life any other way.
We sometimes fail but don't judge the failure as long as we try to pick ourselves up and regain our footing.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:40 AM
Ascender

Hello happy soul and Lorelyen-and all.

Thinking that it could be helpful to pose the question slightly differently-asking this time--"why and how shall we be good ?"

Then we could--not should--take a look at that through the eyes of all inclusive interconnection and see that goodness is simply behaviour harmonious to being of that whole.

If this is perceived as being the case then personal "goodness" is not something measured by what we ought or should offer to another, but is the essence of being of the whole.

If we then take this back to the original question, we may then see issues of "should", "ought", "must", --and other imperatives--in a different light.

I sense that something along these lines, though expressed differently, is what we are each suggesting here.(?)

Good wishes to both--and all. petex
Old 04-04-2019, 02:50 AM
Master

That which is sized
By being intellectualised
Being dead, cannot have us exuberant & surprised

Good vs bad ... first the classifying
Good group uplifting, expanding
Bad group narrowing, contracting

On merit then, choosing good
A further subdivision to be understood
Tall trees vs drifting wood

Expansion in the external being ephemeral
Or expansion in the internal which is eternal
Boundless freedom or habits predictable

On merit choosing then egolessness
Stillness within external movement & cognising internal movement within stillness
Doing nothing save being as such, we are joyous as one with Oneness

Old 04-04-2019, 11:57 PM
Master

From many past incarnations I have judgements and prejudices that crowd my thoughts in this body. I allow some and disrupt others.

If someone is being a jerk I call an ace and ace.

If I am putting down another human being, I say, "stop that right now!"
Old 08-04-2019, 06:36 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
I was having unloving thoughts today, and I posed the question, why should I not think these thoughts, and how can I not think them?

Then I got the impression that those questions were basically an intellectual escapism. And I thought, JUST DON'T.

I thought of the bigger question, why and how should we be good? And I felt that, instead of trying to figure out why I should be good, and then having answered that question, figuring out how to do so - JUST BE GOOD.

I felt that the idea to 'just be good' was a sufficient answer to both the why and the how.

Thoughts are connected to previously learnt ideas and emotions. It can be beneficial to explore the ieas and emotions that underlie the thought. Its a way to get to know yourself, its really through doing that that you can become the person that you want to be. Anything else is like new clothes, in my view.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Newbie ;)

In the spiritual life we are living, our behaviours should be consistent. If something in your being encourages you to, for example, be hurtful or insulting to others your behaviour is not consistent pointing to a belief system issue. If you feel that it is ok to act badly it's likely your ego influencing you. Addressing and changing the belief will lead top increase awareness
Old 12-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
I thought of the bigger question, why and how should we be good?

The golden rule seems to be one of the most common threads in all the World's major religions. So the golden rule is good place to start with basic morality.

There are two types of reasons why we should be good. The first type is for selfish reasons. Many times when we are good people are good to us. And then the other reason is to be good for an unselfish reason or for the benefit of others.

Why we should be good is a bit of subjective judgment. It is not something that can be decided with objective reasons. Why to be good is a choice not a decision based on subjective reasons.

How we should be good is an easier question. I have a very simple definition of love being small acts of kindness without any expectation for anything in return.

I think the measure of how we should be good can also be achieved by being a good listener to other people. If you are able to hear what would help other people achieve higher levels of enthusiasm and participation in their life then find a way of helping other people achieve happiness would be in the category of what I would consider the highest form of being good.