Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 09-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Newbie ;)

Convincing family to go vegan

So this might be controversial, but I really believe after watching documentaries like Forks over knives and watching Dr. Michael Greger videos that a plant based vegan diet can help with things like blood pressure.

My parents are suffering from very high blood pressure, and I'm really worried they are going to suffer from a heart attack if they don't change their heavy meat and dairy based diets.

Has anyone found a way to help their families at least TRY reduce their meat consumption? Even a reduction in Red Meat would be amazing!

Thanks
Old 09-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Suspended
Well, some of my family members just started copying me, they just saw how i was eating, though they don't eat exactly like me but they have changed there diet to add more healthy meals.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Grows
Well, some of my family members just started copying me, they just saw how i was eating, though they don't eat exactly like me but they have changed there diet to add more healthy meals.

Yeah lead through example is pretty much the only way.
Humans are notoriously stubborn creatures if you tell them to do something more often than not they can't help but do the opposite.

I know its cliché but be the change you want to see.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Newbie ;)

Thank you everyone that's actually quite useful. I've lost a lot of weight on this diet and I hoped that would maybe convince them if not for their health, but maybe they need more time.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:34 AM
Seeker
People don't change unless they want to.

While it's clear you care for them deeply enough to worry about their diets you'll get much more progress by being gentle with them. I'm a new vegan myself and wanted to be one for a long time. But what kept me was the attitude of the vegans I was running into. Being pushy, rude, and shoving information about animal cruelty only did more harm than good.

Not saying that you have been :) But it's something I hope most vegans keep in mind when they share their experiences with omnivores. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar after all!

I've been sharing tastes of my food with my family. I'm always excited when I find something new that I enjoy because I always felt healthy food would not taste as good. It's easier that way for me to get them on board. I also tell them how much better I feel now that I've dropped all the processed foods. Like Universal Vibe said, leading by example is the easiest and best bet.

Almost all cultures both past and present eat or ate meat. It's a part of humanity whether it's ethical/healthy or not. So it's a hard habit for some to break. By being kind and understanding of that it takes the edge off and helps people to open up more and do some soul searching as to why they're fighting making healthier changes. Just my thoughts. Good luck!!
Old 26-01-2018, 07:48 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterofDanu
Almost all cultures both past and present eat or ate meat. It's a part of humanity whether it's ethical/healthy or not. So it's a hard habit for some to break. By being kind and understanding of that it takes the edge off and helps people to open up more and do some soul searching as to why they're fighting making healthier changes. Just my thoughts. Good luck!!

At the same time, researchers have discovered that some of our neanderthal ancestors were pretty much vegetarians/vegans. So just because humanity learned to do something doesn't automatically make it good for us. The fact that people who give up animal products very often find that their disease issues are reversed is a testament to that.
Old 28-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
At the same time, researchers have discovered that some of our neanderthal ancestors were pretty much vegetarians/vegans. So just because humanity learned to do something doesn't automatically make it good for us. The fact that people who give up animal products very often find that their disease issues are reversed is a testament to that.

It bacically depends on environment, so people in lusher regions would eat less meat and more vege stuff, and people living in high altitudes, polar regions, deserts, islands would eat less veg and more animal products.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Experiencer

Quoted: It bacically depends on environment, so people in lusher regions would eat less meat and more vege stuff, and people living in high altitudes, polar regions, deserts, islands would eat less veg and more animal products.....

Another thing that most people don't know is that those cultures who have high meat diet, like the Inuit also die 13 years sooner than the neighbouring cultures who eat a varied diet that includes plants. The average life span of a Canadian is 81 years compared to the Inuit lifespan of 68 years. https://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003...149059-eng.htm

Last edited by Debrah : 02-02-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 17-02-2018, 02:46 AM
Experiencer
Regardless of health benefits, there is one thing I noticed with putting 'anything' in my body:

As long as you appreciate it, don't take it for granted and appreciate the intake;

I.E.: your I'nteral/E'ternal energies will transmute anything that is negative within it.
Sustenance is sustenance regardless.

I know GOD does not care about that, more at steak than that.
However, moderation in everything is key.

Haha!
Old 17-02-2018, 02:55 AM
Experiencer
Regardless of health benefits there is one thing I noticed with putting anything in my body:

As long as you appreciate it, don't take it for granted and appreciate the meal itself, your interneal energies will transmute anything that is negative within it. sustenance is sustenance regardless. I know GOD does not care about that, more at steak then that. haha.