Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Faeries, Elementals, Nature Spirits, & Woodland Creatures

Old 19-03-2014, 11:28 AM
The Librarian

Glan Neidr, Adder-stones, Hag-stones

Hello readers,

My main area of interest (and I couldn't find a separate category on the forum for it) is items with magical, magickal, spiritual and any other kind of supernatural value. There is a crystal and gemstone board, but I felt this sat better with Faeries.

A hag-stone, called Glan Neidr here in Wales, is a usually glassy stone with a hole worn through it by natural means. These play a huge part in old Welsh folklore, especially in human interaction with Faerie and the faerie-folk. Originally these were used in ritual practice by druids, and were believed to be the hardened saliva from a mating-ball of serpents, hence the alternate name "adder-stone".

These stones are supposedly only magical when found while alone, and most powerful when found on May eve. They have a number of magical qualities attributed to them;

- In some legends, they have been given to humans directly by faerie-folk, and the possession has granted the human protection or even invisibility.

- The negation of evil charms and diseases, the immunity to snake venom and the prevention of nightmares.

- Looking through the hole in a hag-stone allows the viewer to see through the magical disguises of faerie-folk and witches.

So, finally, my question to you all is; Do any of you have any personal experiences with these items? Have you ever found one, do you own one?

I'm looking forward to hearing any stories you have to offer.

The Librarian
Old 19-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Master

Yes, I have one. When I was growing up on the coast of Northern England, we called them 'holey stones' or some people called them hag stones. I found one on the sands when the tide was out. I'm sure it wasn't on May Eve, though. I've always felt that it was lucky, though.
Old 20-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Master
Hi The Librarian,

I was doing laps of my local park and on the second lap, I heard 'Look down' and there at my feet was the above stone

I carry it with my daily and feel a big connection to the Fae folk

It's been the source of some beautiful conversations and encounters,,,

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 25-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Master
Hag Stones collected last week on my beach [the large one on the left has two holes through it ]

Ancient lore has it that hanging one in your stable prevent witches from taking your horses and riding them to exhaustion.
Hanging one on your bedpost will protect you from the Nighthag or Succubus.
A local custom in Dorset was for fisherman to hang one on the prow of their boat to ward off sea witches.

However, there is a more curious myth which says that if you look through the hole, you will see another realm of being.
p.s. my beach is littered with them, also occasional small pieces of amber

Previous finds

this one I hang round my neck
Old 27-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Master
Largest hagstone ?

Old 27-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Master
"Hole" snipped out and "blown-up". What do you see ?

Old 27-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Master
Here's what I see with my eyes:

An overwhelming feeling though,,,

Lovely pictures Norse

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 27-03-2014, 11:05 AM
The Librarian

That's an eroded arch, a conglomerate sediment platform that's had the middle worn away rather than a single stone. Very pretty picture though, where was it taken?

The Librarian
Old 27-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Master
[ Joke - Librarian ] The whole thing at high tide. There are a series of these rock stacks all along the coast.

It's Marsden, just up the coast from me at South Shields.

This faces it, the Marsden Grotto - a pub/restaurant built into a cave, one of my faves for a cold beer and a walk along the beach.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/Marsden/DSCF0065_zpseaa8cf00.jpg
Old 27-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Master
@Saggi - you missed a couple