Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Old 29-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Dhammajoti

Exclamation The Spiral of Rebirth / Reincarnation

As a former Buddhist monk, I was taught of the "cycle" of existence known as samsara. This is age old knowledge that has been very well researched within Buddhist thought. However, During my journey to awakening, I have "downloaded" some information that I thought would be relevant to this forum topic. It has been well received in the Sangha! I hope it may also benefit you as well!

We do not go round a circle (of existence).

That is an illusion, just as the cycling of the planets and

the stars is an illusion. We move along a spiral track.

Rebirth (reincarnation) is not a Cycle (circle) of existence. The Circle is viewed from a 1 dimensional horizontal approach. When one looks at life from a multidimensional approach, one begins to see that life's cycles are actually not cycles at all but are spiral in their nature.

In many eastern religions it is taught that one is caught in the cycle of death and rebirth over and over again until one is awakened. This point of view is seen as a cycle (Circle) of existence. All that we are seeing is the horizontal 1 dimensional view of life and death only, while leaving out the many stages we advance to, and at times regress from, along the way. How is this so?

A circle always comes back to itself. It's progression eventually ends up in regression (its beginning is always its end). There is in actuality, no progress as the moment one leaves the beginning point because one is regressing right back to this very same starting position. One cannot in effect, fall into a lesser realm (or consciousness), nor into an advanced realm (or consciousness) but will always come back to the starting point. This would demonstrate that it would be imposable for one to retain what has been learned along the way as we are forced to forget this knowledge when we return to the beginning. There is No link to a higher or lower level. No link to all other beings. Each being is Alone, and not interconnected at any level. We would do the same thing over and over in monotony.

A spiral can appear from a 1 dimensional and horizontal point of view to be a circle. However, when one looks at a spiral from a multidimensional point of view, one begins to see that one can always advance, and at times regress. Both vertically and horizontally. In the Spiral of rebirth, this would allow one to be reborn in a lower level (realm and Consciousness) of the spiral, as well as higher more advanced positions (realm and consciousness) of the spiral. Since this spiral could be infinite, one has the potential to retain all previous knowledge learned as well as the ability to tap into future knowledge, and even the knowledge that others had contributed to this spiral! This would explain the ability of recalling ones past life, or seeing the future, Prophecy, Supernatural abilities, and the ability to AWAKEN!
Old 30-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Greenslade

We change, day by day and sometimes more frequently. You could read something on these forums and a lightbulb goes on in your head. It might be a paradigm shift or it might seem so insignificant, but it's a change just the same. So you come back to what you perceive as the same spot once again. While it might seem as the same spot you've changed slightly. You're a different person to the one who was here the first time. If you can only see the changes in yourself you'd realise that. Perhaps you are back in the same spot but it looks different. As it should. You only have the same perspective on it if you perceive you do.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Dhammajoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
We change, day by day and sometimes more frequently. You could read something on these forums and a lightbulb goes on in your head. It might be a paradigm shift or it might seem so insignificant, but it's a change just the same. So you come back to what you perceive as the same spot once again. While it might seem as the same spot you've changed slightly. You're a different person to the one who was here the first time. If you can only see the changes in yourself you'd realise that. Perhaps you are back in the same spot but it looks different. As it should. You only have the same perspective on it if you perceive you do.

Very interesting take. Especially your statement on perspective. I couldnt agree more with you on that matter.

But I do not agree we come back to the same spot so to speak. When we make mistakes, we can certainly come back, take a deep breath, and start again, But in our spiritual advancement, we certainly progress to what some might call higher plains, frequencies, vibrations, levels, dimensions,and even realms. This is definitely a topic that we can discuss further.
Old 30-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhammajoti
Very interesting take. Especially your statement on perspective. I couldnt agree more with you on that matter.

But I do not agree we come back to the same spot so to speak. When we make mistakes, we can certainly come back, take a deep breath, and start again, But in our spiritual advancement, we certainly progress to what some might call higher plains, frequencies, vibrations, levels, dimensions,and even realms. This is definitely a topic that we can discuss further.

Some would throw perspective out of the window and treat it as pretty irrelevant, but for me it's what it's all about.

I believe we do come back to the same spot - in a way. How many times have you thought to yourself 'I've been here before'? Round and round these forums go sometimes, and very often we see the same questions coming out over and over again - very often to what seems as no general consensus of opinion? And how many people sit there and think 'great, we're here again'? It's because something was missed the first time or we need a different perspective on it. In that respect, my perspective is that we have come back to that same spot but we've moved up your spiral a little - if we choose to see it that way. As though we're tracing the spiral, we've marked that particular spot and the spiral goes up and around. The corresponding spot up the spiral can be seen as where the circle comes back on itself or the place where we notice we've moved onwards and upwards from where we were the last time.
Old 30-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Dilchannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Some would throw perspective out of the window and treat it as pretty irrelevant, but for me it's what it's all about.

I believe we do come back to the same spot - in a way. How many times have you thought to yourself 'I've been here before'? Round and round these forums go sometimes, and very often we see the same questions coming out over and over again - very often to what seems as no general consensus of opinion? And how many people sit there and think 'great, we're here again'? It's because something was missed the first time or we need a different perspective on it. In that respect, my perspective is that we have come back to that same spot but we've moved up your spiral a little - if we choose to see it that way. As though we're tracing the spiral, we've marked that particular spot and the spiral goes up and around. The corresponding spot up the spiral can be seen as where the circle comes back on itself or the place where we notice we've moved onwards and upwards from where we were the last time.

Nice post Greenslade, I resonate with this perspective as well. I believe I am aware of that "spot" and am coming back around again to see if I have truly moved onward and upwards so to speak, or if there are somethings I may have leaped across without first looking and learning all there was to learn, for me.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Greenslade

Thanks, Dilchannan. And yes, it's about the change of perspective, noticing the slight difference between being 'on the spot' and 'above the spot'. Everything looks different in retrospect.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Seeker

Questions for you Dahammajoti. If people realize that they had past lives together - is it a destiny to work through whatever they need to? What signs are there to trigger from former past lives that buddhist believe? Why is that considered lucky in discovery of former past lives together? Lastly, do you choose to come back as whatever you wish ? Thank you so much.