Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 23-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Guide
How to heal a cough naturally

I have a mild cough that won't go away. I got sick in October and then I got sick again in December before Christmas and again in early January just as I thought I was getting better. As a result of that I'm left with a cough that just won't go away. I've been taking all kinds of herbs for my immune system but nothing seems to be helping. Raw garlic, echinacea tea, lysine, vitamin D, fruit smoothies, and other things. I'm trying to eat healthy and avoid sugar. I exercise and spend time outside. I am not and never have been a smoker.

I don't feel sick anymore, I just have congestion in my nose and in my upper respiratory area that won't go away. I'm not in any pain or anything, my cough isn't that bad really. But it does seem like it should have healed by now. I'd rather not take antibiotics so I'm looking for natural healing advice.
Old 23-02-2015, 05:53 AM
Master
Hi inspirit, if you haven't, maybe try gargling gently a few times a day with warm salt water for starters. I usually take vitamin c - megadoses - on a regular basis for years and it's rare that I get a cold or have other upper respiratory problems. As you probably are aware, stress can cause weakness to our immune system, so do what you can to minimize it; I've recently taken up mindfulness practice and meditation, and it helps. I understand that goldenseal and echinacea is a good combination for what you have.

Old 23-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Guide
Isn't megadoses of vitamin C expensive though? And most of it is GMO or has other garbage in it. That's why I never buy it. It probably would help though.
Old 23-02-2015, 06:47 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Hi inspirit, if you haven't, maybe try gargling gently a few times a day with warm salt water for starters. I usually take vitamin c - megadoses - on a regular basis for years and it's rare that I get a cold or have other upper respiratory problems. As you probably are aware, stress can cause weakness to our immune system, so do what you can to minimize it; I've recently taken up mindfulness practice and meditation, and it helps. I understand that goldenseal and echinacea is a good combination for what you have.

Every morning I take a pill of vitamin C , garlic & horseradish. I rarely get a cough, cold or flu. My last one was 2 years ago. I'm also 51 years old, a smoker & work outdoors quite a bit.
It costs me approximately $20 for 200 pills. Cheaper than the Dr.
Old 23-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Master
I like ginger tea with honey and a twist of lemon. I don't know if it is a good cough medicine, but it's really nice.
Old 23-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Master
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspirit
Isn't megadoses of vitamin C expensive though? And most of it is GMO or has other garbage in it. That's why I never buy it. It probably would help though.

This link shows where I buy my vitamin C at and the price - It's probably one of the cheapest vitamins to buy - although most of the common vitamins are really inexpensive, anyway. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I discovered that vitamin C lowers the blood sugar! You don't have to take megadoses all the time, just when you feel life is more stressful, but at least try taking it just regularly maybe once or twice a day.

http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-vitamin-c-with-fast-acting-first-stage-timed-release-second-stage

Old 23-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Pathfinder

Try using a neti pot. You can buy a Walgreens brand pot that comes with saline packets. I use it at least three times per week, year round. I try to use it more often during cold season. Everyone in my office has had what you described and I have stayed well. When I do have a cough or sore throat, I love lemon herbal tea with honey. Burts Bees also makes some good honey lozenges. I try to get my vitamin C through food.
Old 26-02-2015, 03:39 AM
Guide
For vitamin C I look forward to summer when I can just eat berries/fruit all day long. Not that I don't eat fruit year round, it's just cheaper in the summer.
Old 26-02-2015, 03:59 AM
Master
A friend's mum once recommended that I grate up some ginger and garlic and then steep them the way you would for tea. Drink a cup if you can, it's horrible, horrible stuff... but it works. Probably because the body doesn't want to take the medicine again!

However, if the cough is persistent and you're just not getting better, I feel you should go see a doctor to figure out if it's something more than just a cough. You can say straight up that you'd prefer not to take antibiotics but I think it's important you figure out why you're not healing.

Old 26-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Master
Try a salt pipe/inhaler. Very powerful with coughs and the lungs. The lung meridian flows into the large intestine meridan so what you eat, and hence sits in your colon, has a close affect on your lungs. A blocked nose is nearly always a congested colon. Acupuncture on your colon would also help your lungs and sinuses...the colon meridian runs up both sides of the nose, hence it's connection to the sinuses.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."