Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 18-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Master
Shamanism is not something you do. It is something you are and it directly relates to those that you are a shaman for...the tribe.
It is cultural just like Hinduism.
Most tribal people actually take great offense to outsiders making claims to being Shamans. They call them "Mock-Shamans"
James
Old 19-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Kali

no u dont WS, the term shaman means talk to spirits, its not a religion or even a belief system, its simply a term, a catch all phrase, used to describe any one who learn directly from spirits and not from books, theres a word that means learns from books too, witch is the opposite of shamanism i cant remember that word but either way, hate to burst the bubble there WS but yes even us white folks can hear the spirits.
Old 19-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali
no u dont WS, the term shaman means talk to spirits, its not a religion or even a belief system, its simply a term, a catch all phrase, used to describe any one who learn directly from spirits and not from books, theres a word that means learns from books too, witch is the opposite of shamanism i cant remember that word but either way, hate to burst the bubble there WS but yes even us white folks can hear the spirits.

We are talking about 2 different things. A Shaman is a position. Yes we can do the cool things they do but we don't hold that cultural position so we are simply doing what a Shaman does to some degree. You can call yourself a Shaman if you wish but it can never be in the true sense of the word. You can call yourself a hindu if you wish but you can never adopt the cultural upbringing and influence and past associated with being a hindu. You can only act as a Hindu. It is the same thing. It's ok if we don't agree...........
Old 20-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Kali

yes i see, i dont call myself a hindu even though im a devotee of kali, i dont call myself a shaman even though i talk to spirits, but shamans in the amazon have a different word for what they are and so do shamans in sayyy tibet or where ever so i guess its just a play on words. im a doobaleedoo, tee hee
Old 20-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Master
Quote:
yes i see, i dont call myself a hindu even though im a devotee of kali, i dont call myself a shaman even though i talk to spirits, but shamans in the amazon have a different word for what they are and so do shamans in sayyy tibet or where ever so i guess its just a play on words. im a doobaleedoo, tee hee

Ha!...............
Old 20-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Mayflow

Quote:

In Mexico I think they are sometimes called Naguals. Maybe some cultures call them devas or angels. A shaman without a name is an interesting idea. There is always some difference in the name assigned to something and the something itself.
Old 21-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Kali

yes hehe. well what i gathered,

and ill link a sight that really fills in some gaps for me on this whole subject matter

what i gather about shamanism is that they pretty much dive right into the spirit world (underworld) and gain insights from spirits.

i have spoke to many spirits although im pretty new at it i have the feeling most of my revelations back then were from spirit, weather it be demons, angels, higher self, and other types of entities, they teach.

another aspect about shamans is something called shaman death. some burry themselves for 36hrs to induse it. near death experiences are also a shaman death or what i think is when you go through something that makes you suffer mentally being in a terrible abusive relationship can be a shaman death.

when you come out of this you are much wiser and pick up some gifts along the way. the life of a shaman is not one i would yearn for bc pain will be your growing tool and spirits your teacher, and well we like to have a human guru to comfort us and the spirits... they can seem absent at times and are not always there to comfort bc like a mother bird pushin you from your nest they see the bigger picture.

hope this helps please any interjections are appreciated bc i may be wrong this is all guess and check for me.

http://kundalini-teacher.com/awakening/shamn.php

http://kundalini-teacher.com/awakening.php
Old 21-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
Shamanism is not something you do. It is something you are and it directly relates to those that you are a shaman for...the tribe.
It is cultural just like Hinduism.
Most tribal people actually take great offense to outsiders making claims to being Shamans. They call them "Mock-Shamans"
James
This is true. And it can go even further - many indigenous liminal figures reject the word shaman, because in their own cultural context they have a term for what they do, and it's not the Turkic word saman.

The other matter is that one cannot make themselves a shamanistic figure; they are made one by their folk, either in flesh or spirit.
Old 21-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
yes hehe. well what i gathered,

and ill link a sight that really fills in some gaps for me on this whole subject matter

what i gather about shamanism is that they pretty much dive right into the spirit world (underworld) and gain insights from spirits.

i have spoke to many spirits although im pretty new at it i have the feeling most of my revelations back then were from spirit, weather it be demons, angels, higher self, and other types of entities, they teach.

another aspect about shamans is something called shaman death. some burry themselves for 36hrs to induse it. near death experiences are also a shaman death or what i think is when you go through something that makes you suffer mentally being in a terrible abusive relationship can be a shaman death.

when you come out of this you are much wiser and pick up some gifts along the way. the life of a shaman is not one i would yearn for bc pain will be your growing tool and spirits your teacher, and well we like to have a human guru to comfort us and the spirits... they can seem absent at times and are not always there to comfort bc like a mother bird pushin you from your nest they see the bigger picture.

hope this helps please any interjections are appreciated bc i may be wrong this is all guess and check for me.

http://kundalini-teacher.com/awakening/shamn.php

http://kundalini-teacher.com/awakening.php

It might be a little like Reality Girl has done a couple of times now to me which is to get me to the edge of a cliff then push me over and "Now fly!" One time I ended up plunging into a deep abyss, but was able to rise up and go walking alone down a lonesome valley, and the other time I was able to turn into a giant black bird and the gully was completely dark and probably bottomless. I flew horizontally and encountered an invisible wall which my beak partially broke through, but my body and wings were unable to follow.
Old 24-07-2012, 08:53 PM
CaramelDancer

Often Shamans are selected by their communities to fill the role of Shaman. A Shaman, in my tradition, is a healer, seer, adviser and great counselor who communicates with spirits and helps the community and its seekers find their own life paths. The Shaman's initiation is intense and dangerous, and involves a process of Shamanic death and rebirth. Shamans are required to do their own personal journey work too, and in that sense, Shamanism is personal. Your lessons and journeys are personal, and they speak to you and your soul of growth, new direction, and healing.