Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 20-09-2019, 02:07 AM
Master
HOW DID ANCIENTS KNOW & CALCULATE THE EQUINOX

Sounds like a simple problem. but how did the ancients know and calculate the equinox without reliable time pieces?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 20-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Master
Hi,

There were two factors actually. They were closer to nature which allowed greater intuitive thinking. This lead them to recognize the value of base 12 math which many see as ancient math today.

Using base 12 math instead of base 10 math allows for more percise calculations. Some thing not considered important I guess. I have no idea why we insist on counting things with the fingers on our hands.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 20-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by John32241
Hi,

There were two factors actually. They were closer to nature which allowed greater intuitive thinking. This lead them to recognize the value of base 12 math which many see as ancient math today.

Using base 12 math instead of base 10 math allows for more percise calculations. Some thing not considered important I guess. I have no idea why we insist on counting things with the fingers on our hands.

John
Base 12 apparently wad a subset of base 60 (sexagesimal) 5 X 12.

I am at a loss as to how they could calculate the Equinox without a reliable measure for time. I have been puzzled by this question for about 20 years.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 20-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Legrand

Even more interesting than the Equinox,

How did the ancient who drew the 12 astrological signs in the sky, know where the center of our galaxy was?

It was only discovered by our advanced science between 1950 and 1960.

Yet the tail of Scorpio and the arrow of Sagittarius point to this center…

As this one minute video gives a visual for those who don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8eIVv3_ZbU

Interesting indeed.
Old 20-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Quote:
BigJohn--Base 12 apparently wad a subset of base 60 (sexagesimal) 5 X 12.

Fuller believes this stems from Babaloyians knowledge of the icosa{20}hedron. One of the ancient stones is of an icosahedron and the icosahedron has chirality as 60 left-handed right triangles and 60 right-handed triangles.

Also the icosahedron has 30 edges/chords and when the icosaehedron is derived from the cubo-octahedron its has those 30 edges i.e. 30 left and 30 right-hand versions.

On an aside, there exist 20 kinds of amino-acids for most part they also have chirality handeness. Well the icosahedron 20 left or right handed triangles, in relation to teh cubo-octahedron it is derived from, depending on which direction the spin of contraction happens with the cubo-octahedron. LINK

Quote:
I am at a loss as to how they could calculate the Equinox without a reliable measure for time. I have been puzzled by this question for about 20 years.

If your just talking day of year, then I dont see how that is difficult for people who lived with nature all of there life and passed on days of year and tthe soltice and equinox to next generation.

If your talking about the exact time of day, well that is another isse but still I dont see how that would be problematic. The oldest abacus in the world was discovered in China and it had 13 columns.

13 columns allows for calculations into the trillions or trillions of any base system.

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 20-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Legrand

For the equinox calculation.

"Systematically observing the sunrise, people discovered that it occurs between two extreme locations at the horizon and eventually noted the midpoint between the two. Later it was realized that this happens on a day when the durations of the day and the night are practically equal and the word "equinox" comes from Latin Aequus, meaning "equal", and Nox, meaning "night". " Wikipedia
Old 20-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand
For the equinox calculation.

"Systematically observing the sunrise, people discovered that it occurs between two extreme locations at the horizon and eventually noted the midpoint between the two. Later it was realized that this happens on a day when the durations of the day and the night are practically equal and the word "equinox" comes from Latin Aequus, meaning "equal", and Nox, meaning "night". " Wikipedia
But without an accurate time piece, how were they able to tell that some days the daylight was longer or shorter then the previous day?

Old 20-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Legrand

No more power at my home. So I’m writing from cell.

No need of time to find it. Simply observe from the same point of observation in a year where the sun sets. On a circle where you are the center, put a rock where it sets the most far away on one side at the beginning of winter and put another rock on that circle where it sets down the most far away on the other side, which marks the beginning of summer. When the sun sets in the middle of those two rocks you have the solstice.
Old 20-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand
When the sun sets in the middle of those two rocks you have the solstice.

Picture of that below but it includes a pencil and pie plate.

Is this what led to the sundial?

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 20-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Legrand

Typo in my last post. The last word should be equinox not solstice. Sorry typing from a cell...