Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 23-01-2017, 12:48 AM
Knower
Gemstone repair question

Greetings All,

My most beloved piece, a huge tear drop labradorite pendant with deep blue hues and incredible fractals, has been cracked and chipped. It's encased in silver, really quite unique - a gift from my mother during a difficult time. The power of that stone has helped me so much this past year. I feel sick about it. It is so heavy, that on occassion when I unclasp the silver chain from my neck, it slides off quickly and lands on the tile floor. Last night, this happened again - only this time it actually cracked. Anguish! I know it will never be perfect again, but maybe it can be fixed? I searched online and read about resins and apoxies, but am hesitant to try. Does anyone have advice for such? Blessings to everyone, d.

Old 23-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsol
Greetings All,

My most beloved piece, a huge tear drop labradorite pendant with deep blue hues and incredible fractals, has been cracked and chipped. It's encased in silver, really quite unique - a gift from my mother during a difficult time. The power of that stone has helped me so much this past year. I feel sick about it. It is so heavy, that on occassion when I unclasp the silver chain from my neck, it slides off quickly and lands on the tile floor. Last night, this happened again - only this time it actually cracked. Anguish! I know it will never be perfect again, but maybe it can be fixed? I searched online and read about resins and apoxies, but am hesitant to try. Does anyone have advice for such? Blessings to everyone, d.

I'm sorry to hear this Delsol! I dropped my beautiful raw piece of Larimar this morning and she split in two.

I'm really not sure if it could be fixed, maybe take it to a Jeweller and see what they say? They might be able to remove and restore then place it back?

That is my only suggestion. I really hope you find a solution.
Old 23-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Knower
Thank you Bella. I am sorry to hear about your larimar! How awful. Maybe you can wire wrap the two pieces and use them as pendants or something. Yes I may try a jeweler. Sigh. Here is a pic of the piece I am talking about, before it was cracked. Really beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4707.JPG (127.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 23-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Deactivated Account

Hi Delsol,

Gorgeous pendant, wow. I use to work in jewelry. For the most part, we were unable to 'fix' broken gemstones/stones or cracks. Most stores sell warranties to replace the stone completely. The best a jeweler can do it polish the stone down with their polisher machine ( very robust) to smooth it out. A lot of polishing will probably make it smaller too to really smooth it out.

However, I never worked with labrodite, so maybe there is another opinion to help! Good luck!
Old 23-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsol
Thank you Bella. I am sorry to hear about your larimar! How awful. Maybe you can wire wrap the two pieces and use them as pendants or something. Yes I may try a jeweler. Sigh. Here is a pic of the piece I am talking about, before it was cracked. Really beautiful.

Aww I see what you mean. Absolutely stunning! Hopefully something can be done. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Wishing you Luck!
Old 25-01-2017, 12:22 AM
Knower
Thank you Clover and Bella. I don't think a jeweler could sand it down enough - it actually has a big chip in it now. So sad. I bought some Ice Resin today - it's the type of resin used to make bezel pendants. It dries hard and clear like glass. I am going to experiment with it, and if I get to feeling confident, will try to fill the cracks and the one big chip in my gemstone with it. If it works out, I will post pics - would be a useful tip for anyone else in the same boat! I also considered using a granite repair kit (the kind for countertops) but that stuff is really expensive, and one can only buy a lot at a time. I just need a smidge. Another idea that came to mind was a winshield repair kit - the kind for a car - but my stone isn't flat enough. Wish me luck!