Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Aromatherapy

Old 06-08-2013, 04:53 PM
pretas.and.devas

What Theory Explains How These Work?

How it is that certain substances are thought to work in purifying the environment and protecting from malicious entities. For example, how does it make sense that sage clears a place or salt can protect you? For that matter, how does holy water work? Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Master
this is only my opinion but, I think it all boils down to belief. anything will work if you believe it enough. I burn sage in my house on occasion to sort of clear away any negative residual energy. does it work because of special properties in the actual plant? possibly. does it work because I am focused on clearing the negative away while I am doing it? maybe. does it matter.....not at all. believe. believe in yourself, believe in the universe that gives you knowledge- and everything else for that matter. just believe. :)
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 AM
LadyTerra

It helps if you study the properties of the substance that you are employing (for instance) Sage imparts the Gifts of Healing, Wisdom, and Protection.

Salt has been recognized--practically since the beginning of time for its ability to purify.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Master
To understand Aromatherapy fully, you need an very good understanding of organic chemistry. Aromatherapy existed in ancient Egyptian times and was practiced by the priesthood. In more modern times, it was "re-invented" by a gentleman by the name of Gattefosse in Grasse, France - the centre of the cultivation of lavender and the production of lavender oil. The production of the oil involves soaking the plant in hot alcohol to extract the oil - potentially hazardous. One worker spilt hot alcohol on his arms and was engulfed in flame. Gattefosse, the supervisor, plunged the man's arm in the nearest liquid available, which was oil of lavender. The arm healed without scaring or infection ! I dare say that this tale is a bit polished up. But it led to the establishment of the Tisserand Institute which studies Aromatherapy. Google the name, many links. One such http://www.tisserandaromatherapy.com/
Aromamatic herbs and plants are extremely complex in nature and many are more effective against disease than modern pharmaceuticals. A huge subject to check up on and well-worth the effort. Herbalism is an ancient "science", "experts" atm are the Eastern Europeans who never developed modern drugs but continued to rely on ancient herbal medicine.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM
LadyTerra

Lavender is a superior antiseptic!

In ancient times it was a common practice to float Lavender Flowers in the bowl of water that was used to wash one's hands--before sitting down to eat.

Thanks for sharing--Norseman--I have something new to research.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Master
Norseman, love your post. :)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Master
If you examine the flower oils in detail, huge similarities crop up i.e. chemicals with names ending in ......ol e.g. geraniol, linaool, citronellol, etc. They are all members of a group called phenolics and are noted bug-killers !

Another "old legend" concerning water purification is Silver. Story is that water kept in a silver flask will be purified. Now think about the modern "invention" of colloidal silver.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Master
norseman, I think the original question was about metaphysical uses rather than medicinal. I'm curious about your thoughts on the matter. :)
Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Master
I tend to agree with Traditional Chinese Medicine which sees no difference between physical and psychological health. As far as metaphysics/natural philosophy goes, this is a style of examining Cause and Effect in the natural order. This would include an examination of belief. If you believe something to be real/true and take actions based on that belief, then the consequences of your actions will be real and therefore could be taken as justification of your original belief. This demonstrates the power of Will and Intent.
Old 13-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Master
Norseman, I have to tell you- you remind me soo much of a friend that I miss. It always makes me happy to read your posts. :)

oh, and I agree absolutely!