Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 18-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Pathfinder

What is of the spirit is spirit; science is about matter

Hi everyone,

As a qualified physicist who also has a belief in spirituality, I have always found it bewildering that people find a conflict between science and spirituality.

Science describes and explains the physical world; the world of matter. No more and no less. It has nothing to say about the stuff of the spirit. There is nothing in science which refutes God, the afterlife or many other spiritual issues.

There is also much that I have witnessed in my spiritual life that Science cannot explain; because it is not meant to: it simply does not extend to the spiritual world. A system of equations that describes the interaction of matter with matter (or matter and energy) is not meant to describe the spirit or if there is life after death or whether we have an aura. These things are matters of another kind of matter (if you will). Science is about the matter of the physical world, so let us as spiritualists not confuse the two or try to wed them. We do neither any honour if we do not see them as distinct.
Old 18-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Guide
That is a very limiting approach to the exploration of life.
If that is your choice as to how to approach your exploration, then fine...but do not try to limit others who may have a more open view than your own.

All matter and energy is born out of spirit. Spirit is merely a word to describe realms more subtle to our understanding than our physical sciences can explain.
In the same way that what we now look at as science was once only explainable as the working of God.
We (humans) once worshiped the sun as god. We did not understand it, but we knew its place in the effects it had on our world. But as we came to understand its properties better, it became understandable as science. The same will be true with matters of spirit as well. We will all grow and learn to understand these things, and they will be as commonplace in our understanding as science.
Old 18-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryn
Hi everyone,

As a qualified physicist who also has a belief in spirituality, I have always found it bewildering that people find a conflict between science and spirituality.

Science describes and explains the physical world; the world of matter. No more and no less. It has nothing to say about the stuff of the spirit. There is nothing in science which refutes God, the afterlife or many other spiritual issues.

There is also much that I have witnessed in my spiritual life that Science cannot explain; because it is not meant to: it simply does not extend to the spiritual world. A system of equations that describes the interaction of matter with matter (or matter and energy) is not meant to describe the spirit or if there is life after death or whether we have an aura. These things are matters of another kind of matter (if you will). Science is about the matter of the physical world, so let us as spiritualists not confuse the two or try to wed them. We do neither any honour if we do not see them as distinct.

Hi Katheryn!

Sure, but, when you say "Spirit", aren't you also referring to "Hyperspace", or, "Infinity", regarding Eternity?

Linear Time and related Space are the "Illusion" according to Einstein, no?

It is not the greater reality... or actual situation. Is it? Time/Space-Gravity?

We're down to "Superstrings" or "Loops" now with our scientific understanding of the fundamentals of matter.
"The Big Bang" was a sardonic label placed upon the origin of the Universe. More appropo is the label of, "The Big Shine", no?
Since no sound in space? ("Let there Be Light" - The Bible.)

Originally, and ever underlying... there is "Light". No? Or, one might say "Sound" also, regarding, "Frequency, Vibration, and Resonance", which one famous scientist cited. Was it Max Plank?

I'm asking.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 19-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Pathfinder

Hi Morpheus,

Thanks for your reply! I really enjoyed reading it...you have a lovely view on things and I found it inspiring. I must say your comment about the "big bang" did make me smile...you are right that "bang" is a misnomer, since actually hearing a "bang" wouldn't have been possible! :-) But it is alliterative with "big" and so the name has stuck.

About your question about the ''light''...I think you are feeling something there that is correct, although the terminology isn't quite right! Yes, all fundamental particles of matter have both a wave and a particle nature (a la Max Planck, De Broglie and others :-)); but that wave is not a light wave. So yes, ultimately all matter has a wave nature (it's not observable for things bigger than atoms); but one can't really say that all matter is made out of light. All charged matter interacts with electromagnetic waves, so there is an interplay between matter and light, but the wave nature of matter and actual physical "light" are distinct.

As far as this four-dimensional space being an illusion...I guess it depends on what you mean by "illusion". I would absolutely agree that there is SO much about even the physical world that we can't see (we can't see electromagnetic waves, or the fact that spacetime is curved...hell, if we stay on the ground we can't even explicitly see that the world is round (except if we do stuff like measure shadows at different places on the globe)!), so even the world we perceive is not the "whole story" physically; never mind the possibility of spiritual realities.

Hope that helps! Keep reading and thinking...it's inspiring to see such an inquiring mind.
Old 19-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Ecthalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawnrr
The same will be true with matters of spirit as well. We will all grow and learn to understand these things, and they will be as commonplace in our understanding as science.
I disagree.
Spirit is not detectable by scientific means. It is rather a matter of faith.
Old 19-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Hi Katheryn!

Sure, but, when you say "Spirit", aren't you also referring to "Hyperspace", or, "Infinity", regarding Eternity?

Linear Time and related Space are the "Illusion" according to Einstein, no?

It is not the greater reality... or actual situation. Is it? Time/Space-Gravity?

We're down to "Superstrings" or "Loops" now with our scientific understanding of the fundamentals of matter.
"The Big Bang" was a sardonic label placed upon the origin of the Universe. More appropo is the label of, "The Big Shine", no?
Since no sound in space? ("Let there Be Light" - The Bible.)

Originally, and ever underlying... there is "Light". No? Or, one might say "Sound" also, regarding, "Frequency, Vibration, and Resonance", which one famous scientist cited. Was it Max Plank?

I'm asking.

actually, about there being no sound in space and the Bible stating this, there IS sound in space and the Bible quote actually implies that God SPOKE before there was ANY Light (God SAID, "Let there be light!" ), and this actually is supported by several of the earlier Eastern spiritual traditions as well as all forms of Shamanism (the concept of "magic" words) and the current scientific understanding that sound is a more definite reality than is matter....every celestial body in the cosmos makes and emits a sound, every star, every planet or moon, even a black hole...every blade of grass, every tree, every THING has a rate of vibration, and this is heard as sound, but it IS notable that in many cases it CAN also be see as light....people love to talk about the light all of the time, but folks forget about sound, and it is the primary form of vibration, much more important than is light...think about it, and re-read that quote from the book of John, which also happens to be stated in the Vedas long before Judaism even existed...although the Bible and Christianity dont make a huge deal of the idea, the Bible is FULL of references to the Holy Spirit being first of all Sound, and secondly Light, Acts 2:2 being just ONE spot where this is specifically mentioned...
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 19-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
I disagree.
Spirit is not detectable by scientific means. It is rather a matter of faith.

I think you greatly underestimate human potential.
Old 19-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawnrr
I think you greatly underestimate human potential.
i fully agree with you, if this were not so, then there wouldn't be any famous mystics in history at all...
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 19-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Master
Once we start destroying the dualism between matter and spirit then we will truly know the Truth of the universe.

From the highest state of understanding you can see that the divine and human, the spiritual and physical, spirit and matter are one.

I am starting to see things in a new light, the light we saw things in our childhood!

I wish so badly we could go back to being little kids. There was always this light-gaze, this openness, and happiness with nature.

The Buddha saw all things as one because they are. The thing that is "an illusion" of matter is when we buy into solely the reality of matter. Matter in of itself has no reality, but when matter is seen as part of Spirit, then matter is just as important and has reality.

Same goes with the crackpots who want their one way ticket to heaven because they think only heaven is good. Those people putting pure trust in only a "later heaven" won't go to that heaven because they are not manifesting heaven in the Here and Now. This is Spiritual Arrogance, the flaw of the Angels. "I am too important and too good for anything physical".

Unity of matter and spirit: Buddha-consciousness, Christ-consciousness, Truth-consciousness call it what you want
Old 19-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Master
Hi Shabda. Well, I think it was in fact, Maxwell Plank, who had stated that if we want to understand the Unviverse, we must think about or understand "Frequency, Vibration, and Resonance."

What is involved with this? "Light, Sound, Temperature"... yes?

The Bible states that the Lord utters His voice and highlands become low, and vica versa. Etc.
He "Spoke" the worlds into existance...
Lets think about our own voicebox. The larnyx.

How do we make sound, but by the vibrations resonating from it, in certain manner.
I recall that certain commercial on T.V., where it was I think, Ella Fitzgerald, the singer, who broke a wineglass by means of her voice.

Also:
"The universe is a symphony of strings, and the mind of God that Einstein eloquently wrote about for thirty years would be cosmic music resonating through eleven-dimensional hyper space."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/michio_
kaku.html#OjsCoRiLA8KUoPM1.99

Katheryn, it is true that all things have a frequency and vibration to them?
True?
Also, thinking about "Light", there are the invisible spectrums of "Light"?
Invisible to the naked eye.
Light involves frequencies, yes? Isn't Radiation, though invisible, also a form of "Light"?
"Radio Waves" being a form? And, so forth.

What were your thoughts about "Hyperspace", and "Infinity", regarding, "Spirit"?

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein