Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 27-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Master

Why does God not show him/her/itself?

Just imagine how the world would change if God would speak quite clearly to all of the 8 billion Earth inhabitants at the same time and say something like this: On the 2nd of May this year the sun will appear in the sky as always but it will be green. It will stay green for one complete turn of the planet so that everyone can see it and so know, following my words to you all, that I am.

This would be no skin off God's nose and would allow us to get on with things. And as we also know changing the colour of the sun for a day would be easy, requiring only a miracle, of which there are many in the Bible, so having a decisive miracle 2000 years later could only be positive.

This would solve quite a number of obvious problems and we wouldn't be requested 'to believe', something which has caused and still causes friction and has no point anyway. Instead of believing (in whatever) we'd KNOW.

Then we could live our lives accordingly without fighting among ourselves as to who is right. Let's get rid of all 'beliefs', all superstitions, all religious traditions, all church buildings, all professional preachers, all funny clothes, hats, bishops and popes and their ilk - in fact let's rid ourselves of the whole pot and be able to look God directly in the eye.

Why should he/she/it want it to be otherwise.?????
Old 27-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Master
You raise a valid point, I wonder why God does not do it because he clearly can. In the Bible Joshua prayed and the sun stopped for hours until he finished his battle so it can clearly be done. But who is God? Do we all have the same concept of who and what he is? What about the atheists who don't believe in God, what will they make of such an announcement? There are those like Hindus who believe in many gods so God's announcement will be a message from just another god. The Israelites who had an experience of God talking to them so often defied him and followed foreign gods, so it is not a guarantee that hearing God making an announcement in the sky will make everybody believe in the same one God and throw away everything else.
Old 27-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Deactivated Account
The way I learned it in religion, he expects us to believe because some people tell you and then just say yes and amen to everything. Though lately I've started to have BIG issues with that.
Old 27-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Knower

Would you talk to gears in the machine you've built, just because they whir and rattle?

The best our lot can hope for is an idle comment now and again, like when we mutter to our car to start faster on cold mornings. That's the sort of thing I expect we're dealing with, just based on the extremely circumstantial evidence that is the human condition.

No, no. Don't just dismiss this as a miserable comment from a miserable guy. Actually take a step back from your cosmic safe-space wherein the human race is the be all, end all spiritual answer to why anything exists.

Just imagine if our role is to spin in our little slots, and that the end product isn't something directly related to our motions. Compare that to the problems people have with the big questions, and their tendency not to lead to anything meaningful when applied to the context of human worth and feeling.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Guide
I believe no matter what form or belief each of us adopts God speaks through us all. As each of us is the whole Universe - is God.

I am not an individual having a universal experience, but the universe having an individual experience. Where consciousness is the universe experiencing itself through each of us.

Destiny is not the path given to us - but the path we choose for ourselves.

Current resources:
Tom Campbell: Ultimate Reality www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhv-XCff4_I

Currently reading:
Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are: Alan Watts
A Brief History of Time: Stephen Hawking
Old 01-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Knower

Hi busby .The answer will become obvious as you mature.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
Let's get rid of all 'beliefs', all superstitions, all religious traditions, all church buildings, all professional preachers, all funny clothes, hats, bishops and popes and their ilk - in fact let's rid ourselves of the whole pot and be able to look God directly in the eye.

I don't want to get rid of the church buildings, preachers and funny clothes LOL. I quite like them. I quite like religious traditions too, they've taught me a lot. I don't consider myself religious and yet...one of the most precious objects I own is a rosary. I wear it around my wrist. People often ask me...so you're catholic then? I tell them I'm not one religion or another. I have respect for ALL religions. I'm happy to celebrate all of them. They all lead to the same thing.

But I still have that rosary anyway, I bought it from a cathedral gift shop and it carries the energy of faith. When I feel down or alone I pick it up and look at the little crucified Jesus and it reminds me that every single faith on Earth teaches that mankind can be saved or lifted up, or helped by God in this lifetime.

Not KNOWING that God exists has helped me to learn fearlessness. Before I looked for evidence of God as a sceptic, albeit a psychic one. Through going to that catholic church and just listening to evensong as I often do, I learned to TRUST. I gained a link to God through a place I looked at with nothing but disdain for twenty years! When I put down my pride and arrogance and went to THAT particular facet of God, the catholic God, I realised I have faith. Faith without religion. Faith that transcends religion, that includes ALL religions.

Now, if God had simply turned the sun green, I would KNOW, wouldn't I? And he'd have denied me that lesson, and that empowered choice to turn my back on Him/Her again, or to trust in the divine by choice.

God didn't WANT me to know. It wanted me to trust, to go through a process whereby I set myself and my own human ego aside and learn to reach for his wisdom and guidance instead.

God HELPED me by not "showing" itself.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Just imagine how the world would change if God would speak quite clearly to all of the 8 billion Earth inhabitants at the same time and say something like this: On the 2nd of May this year the sun will appear in the sky as always but it will be green. It will stay green for one complete turn of the planet so that everyone can see it and so know, following my words to you all, that I am.

This would be no skin off God's nose and would allow us to get on with things. And as we also know changing the colour of the sun for a day would be easy, requiring only a miracle, of which there are many in the Bible, so having a decisive miracle 2000 years later could only be positive.

This would solve quite a number of obvious problems and we wouldn't be requested 'to believe', something which has caused and still causes friction and has no point anyway. Instead of believing (in whatever) we'd KNOW.

Then we could live our lives accordingly without fighting among ourselves as to who is right. Let's get rid of all 'beliefs', all superstitions, all religious traditions, all church buildings, all professional preachers, all funny clothes, hats, bishops and popes and their ilk - in fact let's rid ourselves of the whole pot and be able to look God directly in the eye.

Wow, so much entitlement. Why does God 'need' to do anything? Why do a few little creatures in one tiny corner of one universe in a tiny corner of reality need to know anything? Keep in mind it is just as much 'skin off God's nose' to eliminate anyone not liking things as they are.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:52 AM
Knower
Quote:

This would be no skin off God's nose and would allow us to get on with things.

Then we could live our lives accordingly without fighting among ourselves as to who is right.

This assumes God is willful. And wants to assuage your discomfort.

Nothing is stopping us from getting on with things except us. So this is on us - not God.

We can already do these things.

I understand your post. But the voice of God will most likely show up when humans start living consciously - and speak as though they're (we're) one and not separate. This isn't the case - yet.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Lorelyen

But you're seeing God as an outside, personified force/energy/being.
What would you expect God to do?

The Abrahamic religions have different views on who and what God is
and through that most of the troubles of the world have erupted.
"My God is true, yours isn't." sort of thing.

To the Gnostic, God is within us, showing us what we should do, if we're
willing to see. The God of the Bible is a demiurge who tried to seize power
from the true Creator. That's where things have gone wrong.