Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
Squash recipe ideas?

Does anyone have ideas for cooking Squash?

I have an absolutely HUMONGOUS oriental squash which (sad) I found in a clean cardboard box put out for tomorrow's collection of landfill rubbish!
How can anyone treat a beautiful 15-20lb squash that way? Put it out for trash? No way. I carried it home half a mile. It ....is.....massive. OMG it was heavy.

All recipe ideas happily welcomed!
Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Experiencer

What is an oriental squash? I've heard of butternut, acorn, spaghetti.....but not oriental.

Just looked it up, so don't bother yourself to explain. I would think any squash recipe would work. You could try cooking it until soft, puree it and combine with a vegetable soup cube, sautéed onions, salt and pepper and a little curry powder and make a fabulous soup. That would freeze beautifully in small portions.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
That sounds good already Debrah! Yes making stuff for the freezer is a good idea as there is so much of the darling thing!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Master
LOL, I'm laughing at the image of you carrying it home but good for you! I know this is an old thread but I was looking to see if there were any good recipes. I feel like I've been eating the same thing over and over...(money constraints mostly and sometimes time itself) but mmmmm....debrah's recipe for squash sounds good. I have a butternut squash sitting on my table looking for a new way to cook it. There's this vegan restaurant in lake placid that is just a hole in the wall but WOW...I had squash soup there a couple years ago and it was the best soup I ever had. They wouldn't give me the recipe though. :-(
Old 21-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Master
I've really been into Zoodles lately. My supermarket sells them already spiraled and I usually boil them in a broth for a few minutes. ( I usually use chicken broth, but I have also used veggie broth). the zoodles are so tasty.

I had to look up the Oriental Squash thing too. I've seen them in the supermarket and now I know what they are. I may venture out and give it a try.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do like interesting vegetables. I may start leaning more towards eating veggies and having less meat. I feel like I'm ready for a complete food overhaul and the change will do me good.
Old 22-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Master
I get the butteruts when they are on offer, I usually slice and roast them on the Foreman or stuff and steam them whole in the microwave-I somethmes use toasted sesame seed oil on them with pepper and smoked paprika
Old 23-02-2017, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
LOL, I'm laughing at the image of you carrying it home but good for you! I know this is an old thread but I was looking to see if there were any good recipes. I feel like I've been eating the same thing over and over...(money constraints mostly and sometimes time itself) but mmmmm....debrah's recipe for squash sounds good. I have a butternut squash sitting on my table looking for a new way to cook it. There's this vegan restaurant in lake placid that is just a hole in the wall but WOW...I had squash soup there a couple years ago and it was the best soup I ever had. They wouldn't give me the recipe though. :-(

The Squash wasn't as challenging as a huge great flat rock I once carried home on my head.....
I was determined to have that rock. That's why I'm not as tall as I ought to be....
Carrying the Squash just felt like being 15 months pregnant.

OK...I tried soup. Cut the slices of Squash into cubes, fried them in my favourite oil until browned, then sauteed them until softened. Mashed them up added some veggie stock, butter, black pepper and some finely chopped garlic. It was okay. A bit of an experiment. It was nice....but 'needed something'...I don't know what.
Old 24-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Master
I wonder if you could make giant chips/crisps with them
Old 25-02-2017, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
I don't know....but that sounds like an interesting idea. I might try that when I can 'mess about a bit' cooking. They would need to be so thin. Have to sharpen my knife first!
Old 25-02-2017, 12:56 AM
Master
I do recall reading about a vegan type of bacon substitute where you sliced them thin, oiled salted and then roasted them