Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 12-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Knower

Humility thread

This thread is for being honest about yourself.

Being honest and forward about our flaws is a great way to make it harder for us to be offended when somebody points them out to us, because that's usually the case. And it ultimately makes it easier for us to address these flaws.

I think forming a sense of humility is important for spiritual growth, so lets list our flaws :)

My flaws:

I'm Lazy, Sometimes unmotivated, Emotionally unstable, Sometimes Anxious, Dogmatic, Too philosophical, I have compulsive desires, Sometimes selfish, Unreliable, Introverted, Easily distracted, Lacking morals in certain areas, I'm not very social, I do occasionally get angry, I over think, I need to listen more, i have attachments, i can't take criticism, I get confused easily..

I'm very sure there are more so i will add more as the thread progresses.
I already feel great for letting all those out! i feel my ego dissolving away :)

Now it's your turn!
Old 12-03-2015, 03:51 PM
celest

A grasping mind sees perfection as a thing that can be appropriated to the self, trying to grasp perfection causes suffering.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanb

My flaws:

I'm Lazy, Sometimes unmotivated, Emotionally unstable, Sometimes Anxious, Dogmatic, Too philosophical, I have compulsive desires, Sometimes selfish, Unreliable, Introverted, Easily distracted, Lacking morals in certain areas, I'm not very social, I do occasionally get angry, I over think, I need to listen more, i have attachments, i can't take criticism, I get confused easily..

I don't really see these as flaws. Too philosophical??? Is there such a thing? I don't recall you saying anything philosophical. Introverted??? How is being introverted a flaw? Being lazy is a gift. Some of my best thoughts came from being completely unproductive. As for being selfish, i am extremely selfish as i put my own wants and desires before anyone else's needs but i see that as more of an advantage. I have attachments too but they also motivate me. I have ADD so i get confused and distracted easily as well. But i don't see that as a disadvantage as most things aren't worth knowing or memorizing. I've also felt depress and suicidal at times but i've also learned a great deal about myself from that. Some of my best poetry came from those moments.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
I don't really see these as flaws. Too philosophical??? Is there such a thing? I don't recall you saying anything philosophical. Introverted??? How is being introverted a flaw? Being lazy is a gift. Some of my best thoughts came from being completely unproductive. As for being selfish, i am extremely selfish as i put my own wants and desires before anyone else's needs but i see that as more of an advantage. I have attachments too but they also motivate me. I have ADD so i get confused and distracted easily as well. But i don't see that as a disadvantage as most things aren't worth knowing or memorizing. I've also felt depress and suicidal at times but i've also learned a great deal about myself from that. Some of my best poetry came from those moments.

In relation to being too philosophical, People get annoyed with my constant analysis of everyday things.. And, Philosopher Alan Watts said that he realised that he could either be a Buddhist monk or a philosopher, because the two do not go hand in hand. That's why it is a flaw for me because I'm on the path to enlightenment. Plus, the reason I like to share my philosophy is only because I want to impress people. I need to learn to keep philosophy to myself.

Introverted to me is like being withdrawn from people, which in turn makes it hard for me to be sociable and compassionate towards others. I do care, I'll just rarely show it..

Being lazy for me isn't a gift because although I know I should be studying Buddhism with books and attending the temple, I'll either be sleeping or just avoiding reading or learning because I'd rather be doing something else.

Attachments are also bad in my opinion because you only loose what your attached too and if that is many things then you loose many things because nothing is permanent.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:40 PM
celest

Humanb be careful with your attachment to becoming enlightened
Old 12-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by celest
Humanb be careful with your attachment to becoming enlightened

Haha, I suppose it's pretty contradictory, but the monks said that the desire to become enlightened is necessary for the actual path to enlightenment to be taken, so it does contradict itself, but it's a selfless desire in the sense that enlightenment isn't really achievable for the self but for the universe.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 PM
celest

The desire to become enlightened will stop you becoming enlightened,
Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by celest
The desire to become enlightened will stop you becoming enlightened,

Yeah, i understand that. but personally i think if something isn't desired you wont bother working towards it, maybe i have to keep the desire to become enlightened right up to the point where i have abolished all my delusions. apart from the desire to be enlightened, then i let go of the desire to become enlightened and suddenly I'm there.

It's a useful tool to motivate yourself to practice spirituality and remove delusions. if you have nothing to aim for then its just too easy to give in.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Master

humility is one of my favorite virtues, though i have a tendency to swing between humility and arrogance, unintentionally and ironically. i have gotten better at having compassion so arrogance is becoming less of a problem for me.

i also have a problem with guilt sometimes from excessive humility. so i have tried to find the good uses of my dark side, too. the purposes and such because it's easy to get too rigid and self-deprecating to the point of debilitating or overworking oneself, well it is for me, anyway. but often my weaknesses can be my strengths, and it just depends on how or where i use them. for example, i'm introverted, but that is good for some jobs and some people who don't like talking much and so i don't make them talk. (introversion, technically is a psychological term, and it is a two sided coin with potential strengths and weaknesses, but it is based on a brain difference, and traceable from birth. so i don't call my introversion a weakness, though it makes it hard to live and get along in a world where introverts are poorly understood, often.)

i read a quote something like "humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less" i liked that.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Master
I saw the name of the thread, humility, and immediately had an idea forming about where to go and opened the thread and it was all about the honesty of flaws and that is completely different from where I wanted to go.

But is it? Maybe it's about where I might have ended up?

My initial idea was that humility is about talents but then again my own talents have always been about recognising and embracing my weaknesses... almost to the exclusion of my strengths.

I think it's because I learnt very early that you can get better at anything by just persevering and that eventually that which you persevere at become a strength and is then shadowed by obvious weaknesses which it behoves us to then concentrate on... it's the only way to be strong