Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 24-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Suspended
A Vision Quest or time alone in nature can help. Otherwise don't worry about it.
Old 24-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki
How... how do you find your spiritual guides/animals/totems? I know that there are lots of places around that can give you a ceremony, or something or another that will help you find them, but none of them have ever... felt right. It's like the ceremonies for finding your spiritual name that I find on the internet. They feel... wrong. Not bad, or harmful, just incorrect.

I know that patience is paramount above all (as in life in general), and being observant seems to be a close second, but if you are someone who has no set belief or cultural system, how does it work? I have no (spiritual) elders that I can call upon for advice or guidance, and the only two people in my life I could even consider close to that... I can't get a hold of.

...Do I guess?
Dear Aki, you are so durned cute! You have such an adorable way of saying certain things that I find so irresistible. Not that I mean to trivialize your post here - it's just that I find your posts so genuine and I can always feel your delightful personality in them.

If you'd permit me to share, I'd like to first share a strong caution in following info about ceremony on the Internet. Although it can be a wonderful mode of communication and connection (like we enjoy here at SF), it can also be a breeding ground for ego and delusion and deceit. So keep honouring your instincts and staying away from what feels bad or wrong.

Aki, ask your heart to be your first teacher and guide. How do you best connect to your heart, your inner knowing? Any "Elder" or spiritual leader who is genuine will always guide you to your inner knowing first, then assist when you ask for help and not interfere with your very personal process.

Some people do it at a ceremony that feels "right" for them, some people do it through meditation, some people find their totems through those powerful dreams that feel (and are) incredibly real, and some people find it when talking with a trustworthy guide or counselor; someone outside ourselves whose intent and purpose is to embrace their role as a caring, ethical responsible helper.

Another way is to first pray for help and guidance from Spirit to open up your heart and senses, then spend some peaceful meditative time in a natural space to bring about a meaningful connection. A certain bird or four-legged or insect, a drop of water trembling from a leaf, a plant stem or a tree - it can be anything with a spirit or life force that may impress itself upon your awareness and make some kind of meaningful impact right at a crucial moment. Then research and studying that being's characteristics or properties can uncover more awareness and connection for you to understand yourself as a Spirit better.

There are some pretty amazing divination card decks out "there" too - tools to help us make connections from within. I personally enjoying using the divination card sets created by Jamie Sams. She is Native American and incorporates Indigenous perspectives into those cards. I think one of them (the "Sacred Path" cards I think) even has a process where you can get guidance for connecting to your personal Totems in a specific card spread. She also comes from a - dare I say it - feminist perspective and honours the sacredness of the Divine Feminine and Women's wisdom.

And yes, even what might feel like a "guess" can be a clue or starting point to answers. In the realm of the imagination, Spirit can often find a way to make meaningful impressions on us.

In my experience, Spirit does not always send an earth-shattering message each time we go seeking for answers. I think our job as humans is to stay open and ready and aware for the times when Spirit does send them to us, even if they come in the form of something that at first seems trivial or vague.

Spiritual connection can be hard work - not for the faint of heart or couch potato! But wow - the "rewards" are so worth the effort it can take!

It will come to you, Aki - your heart is always open as I see it, and you are trusting and humble. A perfect recipient for Great Spirit's loving gifts!
Old 24-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
Of course Thunder Bow - a plastic shaman! He was / is so knowledgeable but stuck the knife in at the first sign of dissent from me - which was in the form of distress. I was finding journeying very confrontational - and I don't think it's unfair to say that I was banished from the group (e-group), without being allowed to say goodbye. I spoke to my counsellor about this as she knows it, she did say it wasn't me, that he has a problem with strong emotions and has done it to a lot of other people before me - exiled them.
Belle, I am so sorry for the pain this has brought about.

Makes me think about the dangers of autocratic power ... and how some people wriggle like a snake into a position of supreme authority at the expense - and even by exploiting - the vulnerable phases of others. That this person has the power to "exile" others ... creeee-peeeee

I am very glad you see this "plastic shaman's" true colours - and that you are hopefully safe from further damage his ego imposes.
Old 25-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Master

Thank you Raven Poet. There is part of me who wishes to expose him as he has a lot of cooperative followers, I used to be one to be honest. Well, I wouldn't say wholly cooperative.

I'm free of him now, but I know there will be others who fall for his ways.