Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 AM
springs_eternal

Book Recommendations

I recently finished reading a few basic, intro to Judaism books (in the vein of "for dummies" or the idiot's guide), and am about half way through the book God is a Verb. I'm finding myself absolutely fascinated. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for their favorite books on Judaism. I'm not so picky about subtopic (ie, history, customs, holidays, mysticism), just looking for a few recommendations for the next book to read. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Yamah

God is a Verb is a wonderful book and was in fact the first book I read on authentic Kabbalah. From there I read the Ramchal's 'Mesilat Yesharim' or 'The Path of the Just' which is a guidebook on how to be a good person, written in very general terms. From there I fell in love with the Ramchal and moved on to his book 'Derech Hashem' or 'The Way of God' which is an introduction to all of Kabbalah written in a fairly academic format. I would highly recommend those books to anyone interested in Judaism and who can handle some very heavy reading. For something a bit lighter and easy for a newager to get into I'd look at Letters to a Buddhist Jew by Rabbi Akiva Tatz and Dovid Gottlieb. Aryeh Kaplan z"l was also a wonderful author and has produced many great books on philosophy and customs from a mystical perspective intended for the... newly interested. They are brought together in his two Anthologies. Other standalone books are quite a bit heavier and deeper, Innerspace being the most introductory, going through an introduction to Kabbalah.

I don't have any good books to recommend for history or holidays though... I pretty much stick to the mystical side of things :P For holidays actually there's a book 'Empowered to Heal' by Benyosef which goes into the kabbalistic sides of the holidays and how to utilize the times of year to heal yourself physically and spiritually.

Pleasant browsing!
Old 13-07-2012, 02:41 AM
springs_eternal

Thank you. I'll check out some of your suggestions. "Empowered to Heal" was on my list so I think that one might be next. Thanks again!