Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 26-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Experiencer
Setting aside for a moment the references in this thread to popular spirituality writers and speakers who aren't actually recognised as being teachers of Buddhism,..... one should be very careful about choosing a Buddhist teacher because there are plenty of charlatan 'gurus' around in the modern world who'll take your trust as well as your money and in some cases your sexual favors as well!

Take youe time Mrs Merriweather and keep investigating carefully.

With kind wishes to everyone,

Sam
Old 10-12-2014, 10:35 PM
TaoSandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
one should be very careful about choosing a Buddhist teacher because there are plenty of charlatan 'gurus' around in the modern world who'll take your trust as well as your money and in some cases your sexual favors as well!

Take youe time Mrs Merriweather and keep investigating carefully.

With kind wishes to everyone,

Sam

This. If you are looking for the answers inside yourself and you find someone along the way, I think this is the easiest way to avoid getting duped. If one is looking for a guru actively, one may find someone good, but there are plenty of predators willing to fill this role for you as well. Caveat emptor (buyer beware)!

-TaoSandwich
Old 10-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Pathfinder

Hmm....I have some experience on this topic as my spiritual journey (which I'm always on) led me to having a personal teacher/guru myself as well as mentoring another.

Through those two experiences I'm of the opinion that as long as you can read and have a desire to serve others you fulfill being a student and being a teacher in yourself.

I'm sure that there is enough public writings on whatever it is you want mastery of that having a desire to read/study/apply what you find is going to benefit as much (if not more) than having a personal teacher. And with a desire to serve others and be a light of knowledge to the world around you, you become the teacher.

When I came to that realization, I decided it was no longer necessary for ME to formally teach or apprentice myself again to any ONE person.

Everyone is different of course and what I've found and apply for myself will not speak to everyone...but it speaks to me. :)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Master
It is very common now a days to say "The guru is in you."

For people who have no experience with a real guru it sounds good. To think that all I have to do is read some books and apply myself is all I need.

I can tell you that is wrong. To have a real guru is the difference between night and day.

The most advanced techniques, Dzogchen and Kashmir Shaivism are new termas. They are both taught by the grace of the guru by direct transmission.

A guru should at least be able to do these things.

Quote:
There are gurus and then there are gurus.

A true guru can share presence. Allow you to experience greater depth and clear ones obstructions much quicker. Can feel your emotional upset and can help silence the mind. Who's presence alone even over a chat can fill one with extascy when the student is of depth. Skaktipat is done with a thought.

If you have not experienced any of that with your teacher/guru. He was not a real guru.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
It is very common now a days to say "The guru is in you."

For people who have no experience with a real guru it sounds good. To think that all I have to do is read some books and apply myself is all I need.

I can tell you that is wrong. To have a real guru is the difference between night and day.

The most advanced techniques, Dzogchen and Kashmir Shaivism are new termas. They are both taught by the grace of the guru by direct transmission.

A guru should at least be able to do these things.

If you have not experienced any of that with your teacher/guru. He was not a real guru.

I agree with this too. There are many people out there who are walking the path of learning and have had experiences that they share with others or are in a path that once had a direct relationship with a real incarnation of Source. Monks and priests come to mind of people who are following a path where the founder was a true incarnation of Source.

Over the years, some of those spiritual paths have been changed or the true teachings lost -after all, we're human and not an incarnation of Source.

Also, over the years, while we waited for the return of the next incarnation of Source, some people have been blessed with new teachings that they share with others. But many of the people involved with the old teachings reject the new stuff. Source doesn't limit and sometimes I feel it's rightly so to discern the old from the new. There's too much out there that are just ego boosting, but doesn't really improve us from deep within.

I find that one must follow what is working the best for them. Just as it was back then, not everyone was/is meant to meet the human incarnation of Source, but we will all receive the gifts as they come through our heart. So the teaching is not limited to just a select few.

As my Guru says, "the ones who give you the hardest time are your teachers." But I'm not going to lie, if it weren't for my Guru giving guidance and blessings, and me experiencing what he means by that and how to be heart centered and relaxed, I would not understand how everything in life is a gift from my True Teacher. Such a wonderful opportunity and gift given to us. So grateful for it.

So, if your guiding guru leaves you with a greater understanding, gifts and tools you can use so that you can appreciate life, then you continue learning from that person. If not, and you're stuck, move on.

Yes, the connection to the True Teacher is in my heart and that is what I use to deal with my other teachers in life.

This has been my experience and I had absolutely no intention of looking for a teacher when I started. I only started out looking for instant gratification workshops. Eventually, what I was really looking for was for the right direction for me and my Guru guides me to experience things that is beyond all I could ever imagine, yet it was all I ever wanted as a child.

Good luck and enjoy!
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. - 1 John 4:16
Old 11-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Pathfinder

I'm okay with being in the minority on this. Too much faith and hero-worship is put on others (gurus) in my opinion.

I've been around "gurus" that other people have cried in their presence. A guru may be what some (even most) need. But there is power in yourself and we shortchange ourselves IMMENSELY thinking that someone else is they key to unlocking the potential within.

Oh my goodness! I just realized I'm in the Buddhism section! I apologize as I'm not Buddhist (i need to pay more attention to where I'm at in the forum)

I'm going to bow out of this as it would be rude of me to continue disagreeing as I'm not on your spiritual paths...

peace to you all :)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:55 AM
Mrs Merrieweather

I am still looking for a teacher, the right teacher. I have joined a shanga ;) , that I am very comfortable with, and taking classes. I am very patient and when I meet my teacher I will know it. Want to thank you all again for your advice.