Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 27-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Knower
To me, this is kind of like the same feeling I get when I think of the universe never having an end...going on forever and ever and ever and always has been..I end up feeling like my mind might go crazy if I think too hard on it!

Death is simply a passage into another world--Emanuel Swedenborg
Old 31-12-2015, 03:03 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Seeker
Gleefully. There is a point in each day for most of us when we are in a timeless deep void of sleep. If it is that in perpetuity, I shall be unaware of it.

Not too impressed with the dying part though as I understand that it can be painful in some instances.

But you only know that point exists because you trust another's experience or a camera showing you asleep. From your own perspective you never cease constant awareness.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Newbie ;)

Trying to imagine conciousness in a state of non-existence is like trying to imagine yourself without your brain. Your perception of your own conciousness currently is conditional to your mind body organism. Concious thinking is related to our ability to self-refer to our own existence and identity in a physical body. Conciousness that is no longer bound by the limitations of the body could never exist in a state of non-existence, because the conciosness that you are referring to is only relevant while you are alive. It never really existed in any concrete way to begin with. The deeper level of awareness that exists within all of us, and within all things is not limited to a specific person, place or time. It exists simaltaneously in all forms. Our lack of awareness about this matter makes us want to cling to the current sense of self that we identify with. After we die I would imagine that the awareness within us would have no need to hold on to these limited perceptions of the human mind. What does something become when it ceases to exist physically, what does something become after it becomes apparently "no-thing"? It becomes everything.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy92
You DONT even want to imagine absolute nothing. Absolute dark exists, its the opposite of God, but its different, its a void its a black mass that absorbs and devours anything, it tears you destroys you.

I have been in damnation, but luckily I was given one last chance thanks to someone...when I was little I still had nightmares of damnation and thats thousands of years away...if you trully want to experience non existence wich is damnation than go into a totally pitch black room, close doors, make it absolutely sound proof. And just be there, no sound, no light, nothing and the only thing you are sure of is that its forever and it will never end. It slowly devours you, you will cry but you cannot cry, you want to scream but you cannot scream, you want at least a glimpse of what is called existence but there is none, you and your mind only, you will go insane and your soul slowly decomposes, shatters, you dont even know if you exist or what there is absolute confusion, its unbeliavable agony...trully there is nothing worse than nothing forever. Even CIA tortures people by putting them into pitch black chamber, in few days they die of instanity...

I had a nde where I went to the void. I felt like I was going to be stuck there for eternity all alone with just my thoughts. I was terrified and that word doesn't even come close to cutting it. I eventually led me to many trips to the psych ward. I have been searching for answers for two years now. What I've come to realize is that it was ego death, the main cause of all my suffering was because I didn't want to let go, I held on to myself with every bit of strength that I could.

In my research if we want to call it that I've found some very interesting things.

A few poems I've read have helped me understand it I'll be paraphrasing.

After death you may see demons ripping you apart and you'll think they are torturing you or if you choose to, you'll see angels freeing you from earth.

Here is one by Rumi

I've said before that every craftsman
searches for what's not there
to practice his craft.
A builder looks for the rotten hole
where the roof caved in. A water-carrier
picks the empty pot. A carpenter
stops at the house with no door.

Workers rush toward some hint
of emptiness, which they then
start to fill. Their hope, though,
is for emptiness, so don't think
you must avoid it. It contains
what you need!
Dear soul, if you were not friends
with the vast nothing inside,
why would you always be casting you net
into it, and waiting so patiently?

This invisible ocean has given you such abundance,
but still you call it "death",
that which provides you sustenance and work.

God has allowed some magical reversal to occur,
so that you see the scorpion pit
as an object of desire,
and all the beautiful expanse around it,
as dangerous and swarming with snakes.

This is how strange your fear of death
and emptiness is, and how perverse
the attachment to what you want.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:12 AM
Guide

I could imagine it a lot better before my nde. I personally know there is an afterlife...but for the sake of argument, lets say there are souls who go to sleep & dont wake up. I didnt experience that, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. The way i look as this. You will only worry about it now, because right now you do have a conscious, feelings, fears, ect. But if you were dead, you wouldnt care....because you wouldnt have a conscious or a way to care. You would simply be like you were before you were born (remember there was a time you didn't exist, were you afraid then?) no...because you have no conscious memory of before then like you wont aftern. For that matter...why waste your time thinking about something that you have already been through.. If you could imagine how you felt back in the 1800s before you were born...then you have a pretty good idea. Its not that traumatic when you put it into perspective.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Newbie ;)

This is the question I was confronted with when my Dad died a few months ago. Even though I knew it was coming (he was very old) and I tried to 'prepare for it', it still was shocking for me. I struggled to understand how one minute he existed, now he didnt'. His whole life gone, like he was never here. Then I was confronted with my own mortality - one day that will be me. I have questioned myself everyday what happens after death - what if there is no afterlife? What does it feel like to not exist? My brain hurts thinking about it. I find the idea terrifying that there could just be oblivion. But then when I wake up in the morning, I ponder, what if I hadn't woken up? It wasn't too bad.

However intuitively, I think we do go on in some form. It doesn't make sense to spend all this time evolving only just to snuff it all out in the end.
Old 22-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Newbie ;)

If you experience true reality, if only for a brief moment, then you will realise that everything is in a constant flow, a continuum that never ends. A human is just one of a infinite number of manifestations of this continuum, whether it is the physical or the conscious form. You are everything and everything is you at the same time. This continuum is dimensionless and no language has words to describe it, since it is indescribable. But it is possible to experience it and then you know there is nothing to fear. And it is right in front of you :)
Old 22-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Burntfruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsouth1111
To me, this is kind of like the same feeling I get when I think of the universe never having an end...going on forever and ever and ever and always has been..I end up feeling like my mind might go crazy if I think too hard on it!
Yeah it is a tough nut.

But it makes it easier to understand when we know that Time and Space get superseded by other dimensions.

Really we are all playing a game, and we end up back in the blissful spirit world where we understand it. So I guess it must make sense.
Old 22-01-2016, 08:01 PM
Newbie ;)

I find readings on near death experiences, life after death, Spiritualism and Spiritist philosophy to be of interest in answering your question.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:16 AM
Newbie ;)

The thought terrifies me too. I have no idea what will happen. Usually I imagine nothingness, being raised Baptist I wonder if I'll burn in hell for abandoning my faith but when I'm faced with the death of a loved one or friend, in that moment all I can imagine is they are gone. There is nothing there. It chills me to the bone. I'm not saying I don't believe in the afterlife. I just don't know. I hate that I will die. If I'm honest ,I probably cling to my life too much in a sense. I know it's inevitable but the thought just makes me have severe anxiety and want to just cry! I would love to go to another world when I die and just live forever, like I live now. Be with family, eat, sleep, work, have children etc. And still remember who I am. I guess it ego but the 2 biggest thoughts of death I have is forgetting me and forgetting my.daughter. I want to still be me when I die. Even reincarnation bothers me because I know I won't remember the life I'm building now! It just depresses me. I will die I know, but death is the worst thing imaginable to me.