Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 15-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
That sounds just like what we are planning for tomorrow. Except it's a carrot & pumpkin curry. Never made it before, but it sounds yummy.

Carrot and pumpkin curry sounds delish!
Sesame seeds would go nicely with that. Or if you like a big crunch, toasted pistachios.
1/4 cup Pistachios contain about 6 grams protein.
Old 15-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Suspended
Toasted pistachios sounds scrummy. Might have to nip to the shop later!

We're planning on using the pumpkin seeds toasted on top. If it's a success, I'll share the recipe here, if you like?
Old 15-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Master
You ladies have inspired me with these combinations and am planning on sticking to my own thing, whether my men join me or not...I have to cook separately for them anyway...

I would love your recipes to the vegetable curry...if possible.
Old 15-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Ascender
We grow most of our own food, and my dear wife is the expert. I do the manual tasks like rotovating, manure and compost spreading (!), strimming, etc....

But when it comes to cooking, we share that. Pumpkin curry is one of my favourites, too. I cook it with sultanas and apples, plus a little fresh chilli, to add to the taste.
Old 15-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Yes please DO share your recipe Squatchit.
I was thinking about the carrot & pumpkin curry today, and bought some carrots to get ready!

Your recipe sounds lovely too LPC. I'll try that. I have a lot of apples at the moment.
It's good that you have a Rotivator. Digging is such hard work.
Old 16-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Suspended
It was quite the disaster!

I had reservations about the length of time the carrot would be cooking , but we decided to stick to the recipe.

It smelled absolutely divine when we started. That was just the ginger, garlic & lemon grass. (We used ginger instead of galangal, as we couldn't find galangal).

The upshot was the carrots were hard as rocks and it was way too hot (spicy-wise). I had one mouthful and that was enough!

I think it can be seriously tweaked to be a lovely dish. If anyone has a go at it (and gets it right), let me know!

Carrot Pumpkin Curry - serves 4

Ingredients

150ml vegetable stock
1 inch piece galangal, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lemon grass stalk (white part only), finely chopped
2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and chopped
4 carrots, cut into chunks
225g pumpkin, deseeded and cut into cubes
2 tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
3 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste
400 ml coconut milk
4-6 sprigs of fresh Thai basil
25g toasted pumpkin seeds, to garnish

Method

1. Pour the stock into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the galangal, half the garlic, lemon grass and chillies and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and pumpkin and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until tender.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and stir-fry the shallots and the remaining garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add the curry paste and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.

3. Stir the shallot mixture into the saucepan and add the coconut milk and Thai basil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with the toasted pumpkin seeds.
Old 16-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Suspended
We are actually going to give it another go tonight as we've got most of the ingredients in. I think toning down the chilli and letting it cook for longer might work.

We've always got the chippy down the road if it goes wrong again...
Old 16-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Master

Two chillies? One is enough I would have thought. If that. Not to everyone's taste.

You could pre-cook the carrots to get them to the desired tenderness.
Or even use tinned. That would work with that limited time frame.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 16-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Master
This is a beautiful dish...I'd probably omit the chili all together, though.
Since having tons of carrots in the fridge and a pumpkin bigger than me, tomorrow, I'll be trying out this recipe.

Because curry paste is impossible to find around here, would curry powder be a suitable substitute?
Old 17-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Suspended
I reckon curry powder would be just as good. We made it again last night and only used half a chilli pepper and 3 teaspoons of curry paste. And we par-boiled the carrots. It was delicious!

Let me know how it turns out for you Hope!