Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 21-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Newbie ;)

New to the Wiccan Faith / Casting a Circle

After a number of months of soul searching and a new love for meditation I found the Wiccan faith really has spoke to me. I've been reading books, articles and watching spiritual videos on youtube for information. I just cast my first circle the other day and immediately felt at home. I am new to Wicca and don't feel comfortable casting spells as of right now. What are some things I can do in the circle once I cast it? I understand this is sort of an ignorant question. I have been using it to enhance my meditation sessions. Should it be for rituals, spells and prayer etc. primarily? or is it perfectly acceptable to meditate or even work on my positive aspects journal. I just don't want to be disrespectful. I'm sure I am over thinking it as I so often do. Thanks!
Old 21-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Lepus

Hello,

You can do whatever you wish within a circle. Wiccans cast a circle to meditate; connect/communicate with deity or deities; spellwork; prayer; offerings; blessings; conduct rituals for sabbats and or esbats; connect with Spirit & guides; astral travel; raise the cone of power, flying ointment etc.

The circle is commonly used for protection from unwanted energies. To cast a circle, it is done by visually creating a circle whilst directing your energy around you with your finger, athame, or wand. Most make an outline of a circle to facilitate the process of circle casting. Then, call on each quarter to assist you while invoking the corresponding sign for each quarter with the gesture of a pentacle. This enhances your circle's protection and it's normally done during ritual or when invoking a deity, such as a God or Goddess. When finished, close your circle. This is done by saying farewell to the watchers and visually removing the circle whilst directing your finger at the circle.

I know not many Wiccans follow these steps on circle casting but it's a general idea on how to cast a circle. You may have your own way of circle casting like most Wiccans do.

I like to point out that circle casting is done deosil including when closing the circle. There's a notion behind widdershins being used only for harmful intentions. In other words, 'black magick'.

Lepus
Old 21-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Newbie ;)

Thank you so much! You have been very helpful.
Old 26-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Ascender
Certainly casting a circle can be used for all the reasons you mentioned. In meditation I will sometimes find it comforting to think on the abstract imagery of the witch - swaths of black cloaks and black pointy hat. Sometimes the dark can be a strong source of positive energy.

A couple of months ago I cast a circle. I was aware of a growing unease that would not abate. So just like having antivirus on your computer I cast a protective spell around my home/living space.
Using a wand I drew a large symbol on the wall to make a portal to catch and neutralize any malicious negativity. I realize now that the portal is actually like a garbage chute, and a very good one at that.

As in many things, practice makes perfect.
Old 27-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Ascender
Another way of casting a circle is by using tarot cards.

Yesterday I brought back from shopping a Flowering Flamingo Plant. The flowers have red heart-shaped petals.
This evening I spread out the tarot cards into a circle on the table top, then placed the flower plant in the circle's centre.
Candles were lit and placed around the room for atmospheric affect.

When a state of mindfulness was reached I gave thought to which part of the circle the casting card would be (10 o'clock btw). The cards were then gathered up and then both top and bottom cards were dealt.

This then was the result:

( ... the reason for photoshop is for added atmospheric effect.)

It's certainly a fascinating pair of cards, the King of Swords and the Lovers, especially when complimented by the Flowering Flamingo and the imagery within the cards themselves.

The King of Swords is here depicted in the form of the Arthurian legend, Excalibur and the Lady of the Lake.
The Lovers is depicted by the Irish legend of King Midir and Etain.

Both legends are epic love stories. Although when both are brought together into a magic circle ...
well, I'll let you decide what the story then entails.
Old 28-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Ascender
One more thing ...

I hadn't noticed at the time that the flamingo plant is called Anthurium scherzerianum . Funny how the words [Arthurian and anthurium] closely resemble each other.
Which only goes to show that this particular exercise has potential

Instead of a plant placed inside the circle maybe next time a lit candle and of course a question
can be set to much more creative affect.
Old 22-01-2018, 12:50 AM
Newbie ;)

Thank you so much!! :)