Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 26-10-2011, 11:05 PM
donnnn1

my life is messed up because of religion

Fundamentalist Christians have really messed my head up big time. Im am worried about going to hell and have a sickening fear of death.

They have also told me that Jesus will come and send all other religions to Hell.

I hate this fear, is Christianity and the bible the only real truth?
Old 26-10-2011, 11:25 PM
nightowl

There are many ways to God and no one church has the 'only real' truth about God. You can choose to believe what best works for you. If that is what they choose to believe then that is their choice of personal truth, it doesn't have to be yours.
Old 26-10-2011, 11:56 PM
donnnn1

I want to believe in something that makes me happy, but what if its wrong and Christianity is the truth but it doesnt make me happy??

I live each day in total fear, I know my personal views on religion and God but I feel as if i have been brainwashed and I will never get back to my old happiness and views.

Im only 18 years old, my life should just be starting, the ONLY belief that would make me happy would be good people get rewarded with Heaven.

No hell fire, no new age teachings, no only one path to God, none of that makes me happy.
Old 27-10-2011, 12:06 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnnn1
I want to believe in something that makes me happy, but what if its wrong and Christianity is the truth but it doesnt make me happy??

I live each day in total fear, I know my personal views on religion and God but I feel as if i have been brainwashed and I will never get back to my old happiness and views.

Im only 18 years old, my life should just be starting, the ONLY belief that would make me happy would be good people get rewarded with Heaven.

No hell fire, no new age teachings, no only one path to God, none of that makes me happy.

I can understand where you are coming from...really I was in the Christian church for a long time...

Maybe a little research would serve you well. Many of us can share our views with you about what we believe but it ultimately has to be your decision about what you believe. If it helps at all I will share this tidbit;

in Judaism, on which the Old Testament is based, they do not believe in hell. All are given mercy by God.
Old 27-10-2011, 12:27 AM
donnnn1

thank you nightowl, i never knew that about Judiasm and the old testament, If Jesus was Jewish surely he believed the same?

I have been reading the Jesus Papers by Michael Baigent which has helped me a little it shows how the historical Jesus is is not the Jesus which Islam or Christianity portrays.

It also contains a part about Saint Therese a Catholic mystic who showed that the afterlife is not what the Church teaches but she lived in fear of the inquisition and the church wanted to continue with their monopoly and control over what was the 'truth'.

I dont know what to do, I also have an anxiety disorder so that doesnt help with my worry
Old 27-10-2011, 12:37 AM
nightowl

Quote:
thank you nightowl, i never knew that about Judiasm and the old testament, If Jesus was Jewish surely he believed the same?

I have been reading the Jesus Papers by Michael Baigent which has helped me a little it shows how the historical Jesus is is not the Jesus which Islam or Christianity portrays.

It also contains a part about Saint Therese a Catholic mystic who showed that the afterlife is not what the Church teaches but she lived in fear of the inquisition and the church wanted to continue with their monopoly and control over what was the 'truth'.

I dont know what to do, I also have an anxiety disorder so that doesnt help with my worry

It sounds to me like you are headed on the right track, keep seeking, continue to look at the history of Christianity and let it works itself out...I had to do the same thing...I still embrace and love some of the teachings of Jesus and the Bible...I am sure that anxiety adds to your frustration. breath and know that God wants you to find the truth, walk with God and see what happens.
Old 27-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Master
Remember that the bible is only one source of information, it has over many years lost its true value, I think for you, reading the words of the Buddha, or just the words of Jesus, you can buy yourself a bible that has the words of Jesus in red. Now try to read these words as if you have read them for the very first time, don't let others opinions over cloud what you are reading, if you do you will always have nothing but second-hand knowledge.
Old 27-10-2011, 12:59 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Remember that the bible is only one source of information, it has over many years lost its true value, I think for you, reading the words of the Buddha, or just the words of Jesus, you can buy yourself a bible that has the words of Jesus in red. Now try to read these words as if you have read them for the very first time, don't let others opinions over cloud what you are reading, if you do you will always have nothing but second-hand knowledge.

Hey slice,

Good suggestion, though it is hard sometimes in the process to shake those teachings out of ones brain, to make room for new thoughts... ...it is well worth it though
Old 27-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Skins_Princess

Quote:
Fundamentalist Christians have really messed my head up big time. Im am worried about going to hell and have a sickening fear of death.

They have also told me that Jesus will come and send all other religions to Hell.

I hate this fear, is Christianity and the bible the only real truth?

No and I feel your pain because I was exposed to fundie Christianity growing up as well

If you can, get out of the way of the fundies, like literately distance yourself and put yourself in a new, and open environment.
Old 27-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Skins_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
Hey slice,

Good suggestion, though it is hard sometimes in the process to shake those teachings out of ones brain, to make room for new thoughts... ...it is well worth it though

I know, because although, certain beliefs have been shaken out of me for years to accept new ones, I still struggle with them.