Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Divination

Old 27-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Sangress

Quote:
Interesting ! I have the feeling that the shoulder blade divination was much more primitive and was maybe used further back. I seem to recall it involved the slaughter of the animal [ or human ], then the blade was used, on the fire, to invoke the spirit. The bone being essentially burnt, so it was a one-shot method. Dont know where this memory is coming from

Very interesting.

And heh, if its a memory then its coming form within you, or I would hope so because last time I checked being given memories by a stranger is a very invasive thing for someone to do.

Quote:
p.s. I think [feel ?] that this method smacks of Hunter-Gatherer tribes and is Northern European shamanic, so probably dating back to the end of the last Ice-Age perhaps.

Perhaps.

It's good that you trust your instincts/feelings. Lots of people wouldn't have deigned to mention any of the things you have.

Thank you.
Old 27-02-2011, 03:23 PM
SoaringSpirit

In south africa (where I live), the indiginous tribes have Sangoma's who throw the bones as part of their rituals for healing or divination.
Old 27-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Myer

Not too keen on the idea of bones....can't we find something else to use instead?

Myer
Old 27-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Sangress

Quote:
In south africa (where I live), the indiginous tribes have Sangoma's who throw the bones as part of their rituals for healing or divination.

Sangoma, that's their name for a witch doctor, healer or I think a herbalist, if I remember correctly?

Quote:
Not too keen on the idea of bones....can't we find something else to use instead?

Yes, but bones are very versatile compared to some mediums, so that is often why they are used and favoured.
Old 28-02-2011, 05:42 AM
SoaringSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress
Sangoma, that's their name for a witch doctor, healer or I think a herbalist, if I remember correctly?

In this country 'native' people pointed out as being witches are often killed by the people in the village (its a BIG problem here) so witch doctor would not be a good term. I'd say medicine person or shaman is the best equivalent - they are more than just healers.
Old 28-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Sangress

Quote:
In this country 'native' people pointed out as being witches are often killed by the people in the village (its a BIG problem here) so witch doctor would not be a good term. I'd say medicine person or shaman is the best equivalent - they are more than just healers.

Good to hear something other than western terms for things.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Sangress

This is just some general information I picked up. As I don't have a full set of tools yet and am still collecting them, I'll leave the positions and reading of feathers and other things for later...since I haven't cast any Bones at all yet and learned the positions myself.

Feather

The meaning of any feather varies according to 3 main aspects, what species the bird the feather belonged to, how and when the feather was found/extracted and what spiritual connotations are connected to the feather.

Feathers are most often not aggressive signs, they are guides to show how things progress and develop as time goes by, and also hint at the basic motivation of a subject and give insight into how swiftly or slowly an event can occur.

In general feathers are often connected to the elements of the sky and signify freedom and the ability to see situations from above, from a distant viewpoint. They can convey emotion, but in a diluted detached way as they show the flow of things and often the reasons for this flow rather than unnecessary things that are rooted into the matter.

Feather types

Often once a general overview of he subject has been made, specific aspects of the reading need a more in depth view. This is when the caster is urged to use one of three specific feather types:

A full natural feather signifies a gentle flow between one thing and another, an exchange of energies without specific force or impediment.

A fletched feather (stripped from the base upwards, but with the upper end left in tact) is an indicator of direction, sharp and precise and often shows of one thing naturally leading to another in its own time.

A feather stripped of its vane’s is a bridge or connection that can be used only through a choice or decision of sorts. It is a well controlled medium with stern limitations and its effect can be accelerated with simple willpower.

Manipulations

Fletched feathers often have notches cut into them, these notches signify time and speed.

Stripped feathers have notches too, often three thick evenly spaced with a further two more closely spaced between each of them. These notches represent the soul, mind and body, as well as degrees of emotion involved.

Full feathers often have a charred, marked or severed lower tip, which ensures that a feathers connection with the bird it came from has been severed so as not to cause accidental harm to the living bird. A feather without any of these marks is from a dead bird who has agreed in spirit to be a guide to the Caster and play a part in the casting of the Bones, the feather will become unruly and break if the bird wishes to cease their service.

Hope that made sense.