Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 13-05-2013, 11:07 AM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy_su
For anyone who wants to become physically healthier through meditation, Lotus Position is a must. I know some people meditate only for a clearer mind, e.g., one of my bosses, but lotus position can certainly help much more.

It's usually very painful for beginners, but as westerners always say, "there's no shortcut to any place worthwhile." Please do try, make each and every effort, till you can do half lotus position, and then full lotus position.

Why lotus position is so important?

Lotus position was taught by Buddha. As a Buddhist, I believe it's a blessed position. In this position, your energy flow back into your body, and what's more important, the energy heal body's defects automatically. As body and mind alway interact with each other, your mind becomes healthier along with the improvement of your body. Lotus position is a most efficient way to allow you become physically stronger and mentally healthier.

Therefore, actually you do not even have to meditate. You just sit in full lotus position, and you will become healthier. Meditation is only the way to extraordinarily enhance the healing process.
Old 13-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Natalia

Hello and welcome Icy_su
Wonderful posts. I am enjoying them. Thank you for your guidance here. Truth, beauty and kindness are great goals for meditation. I'm going to give the lotus position a go! Thank you!
Old 13-05-2013, 12:45 PM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia
Hello and welcome Icy_su
Wonderful posts. I am enjoying them. Thank you for your guidance here. Truth, beauty and kindness are great goals for meditation. I'm going to give the lotus position a go! Thank you!

Thanks for your kind words Natalia. Good luck! :-)
Old 13-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy_su
But the general idea is that we chant the Buddha's name continuously, and wisdom comes naturally.

Hi Icy .

Is it the Buddhas name that holds relevance or is it in the repetition .

If one chants red lorry yellow lorry enough times does that hold a similar weight .

x dazzle x
Old 13-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
Hi Icy .

Is it the Buddhas name that holds relevance or is it in the repetition .

If one chants red lorry yellow lorry enough times does that hold a similar weight .

x dazzle x

I would suggest that it may carry an aspect of meditation concentration, but not in quite the same way. As I understand Pure Land Buddhism, the idea (much the same as much of Tibetan Tantric Buddhism) it has a psychological basis in concentrating on Buddha like internal qualities - in your case, it may be God-like qualities. Much of Hinduism does the same by repeating devotions to certain God-like qualities that emerge from within us. So, yes I would say it is a bit different from chanting red lorry yellow lorry.

Incidentally sometimes female Dakinies are imagined as well. In China, Quan-Yin is Legendary. She is a female version of the Goddess (or Buddha) of compassion. In our world of today, many consider the current Dalai Lama of Tibet as being a contemporary incarnated male version.
Old 14-05-2013, 12:15 AM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
I would suggest that it may carry an aspect of meditation concentration, but not in quite the same way. As I understand Pure Land Buddhism, the idea (much the same as much of Tibetan Tantric Buddhism) it has a psychological basis in concentrating on Buddha like internal qualities - in your case, it may be God-like qualities. Much of Hinduism does the same by repeating devotions to certain God-like qualities that emerge from within us. So, yes I would say it is a bit different from chanting red lorry yellow lorry.

Incidentally sometimes female Dakinies are imagined as well. In China, Quan-Yin is Legendary. She is a female version of the Goddess (or Buddha) of compassion. In our world of today, many consider the current Dalai Lama of Tibet as being a contemporary incarnated male version.

Dear Mayflow,

I am so much humbled by your English, and your knowledge. Your understanding of Pure Land Buddhism is correct. Although it actually envolves even more...

And I am so happy you know Quan-Yin. I am actually chanting her name as major part of my Pure Land Buddhism practice.

Cheers,
Icy
Old 14-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Mayflow

I'll work on that full Lotus position. I appreciate your presence here, Icy Sue.
Old 14-05-2013, 01:55 AM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
I'll work on that full Lotus position. I appreciate your presence here, Icy Sue.

Thanks for your kind words Mayflow. :-) I will write more about details of lotus position, Pure Land Buddhism, and other steps of meditation etc. Please allow me some time. Were it in Chinese, it should be much easier~~

Let me know if you have any question when practicing.

Love,
Icy
Old 14-05-2013, 02:06 AM
icy_su

I am trying to finish the Guide to Meditation first. In China's traditional philosophy, we believe that the most fundamental philosophy is always simple. Hence I am not going to give you a full introduction of everything, but rather a route that I found most helpful to me.

To give you a big picture, I am planning to introduce meditation in three steps -- Goal, Position and Meditation. These are general introductions. I will add details into them along the way.

In the mean time, welcome to comment or discuss. :-)
Old 14-05-2013, 02:25 AM
icy_su

Guide to Meditation -- Step 3. Meditation

Here comes the core -- meditation.

First, why do we meditate? Let me put it into an analogy. Our mind is like a muddy river. (Just imagine the Yellow River in China~~ ) It's not clean. Be honest, we all have bad ideas in head. It's not under control. Can you sit there without any trace of thoughts in one minute? No you can't. So it needs to be ameliorated.

Meditation is a way to allow you channel and soothe the water, so that the water will be more or less under control and be cleaner. This provides us a test of your meditation result -- it you feel that your mind is more under control, (which means you have less unnecessary thoughts and negative emotions) and your heart becomes more kind, that means you are on the right way.

Second, how do we meditate? Meditation comes with concentration in the first place. Why the water is not under control? Because there are too many flows of energy, interacting with each other. If you can stick to only one energy, persistently, the others will gradually become weak, and the water will become more obedient. (How I wish I have Mayflow's vocabulary in mind. If you do not understand my expression, let me know.)

Now we have come to the question of how to find a proper energy and stick to it. Well, this is actually a very familiar topic to you guys. It's only a matter of finding a meditation object and concentrate on it.

Then what is a proper object? and how do we make sure to really concentrate on it?

These are two most common but most fundamental questions of meditation.