Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 31-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Knower
I tend to base my own personal definitions of words on their oldest known meanings. As for spirituality, religion, and also science, these words have their origin in the ancient Indo-European mother tongue. Maybe. These spoken sounds probably have much older roots, in the deep time of our ape ancestors and rodent relatives. But we really only know a sliver of this history.

Science: From Latin "scio", to know, which is from the Indo-European root *sek-, to cut, dissect, or split. Which is indeed what scientists do -- cut things open, dissect lifeforms, even split atoms themselves -- but this is not limited to academic researchers. Science is essentially nit-picking in pursuit of knowledge.

Religion: From Latin "religio", sanctity, reverence, or awe, which is then from the Indo-European root *le-, meaning to bind, choose, or gather. Religion is the construction of values and ideals from what we discover through science. And the prefix "re-" implies another time, as if this is a continuous cycle of discovery.

Spirituality: From Latin "spiritus", Indo-European root *(s)peys-, meaning breath. Life. Spirituality is life itself, whatever may inspire you or conspire against you. I agree with those who say we are spirit having a human experience. Religion (and science, although no one asked about that) are both inherent in spirit, simply two sides of the same coin.
Old 31-05-2019, 06:11 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackfoxNZ
It has come to my attention over the past few months that the line between what is called religion and what is called spiritual is very blurred or not a line at all, …..

….. Any thoughts and opinions are welcomed

Perhaps it is less a matter of lines and more about walls and those who guard the gates to the passageways through them. The way I see it, is that religions have one thing in common that I don’t think is necessary and is even counterproductive in spirituality. Religions have a dogma, a set of beliefs that define what that religion accepts as truth. They are necessary to religions because without some such boundaries on beliefs, one cannot tell one religion from another. Spirituality on the other hand, although it may seek many of the answers that religion purports to provide, does not have such boundaries around what answers one may consider. Spirituality is an open and honest seeking to understand the how and why of one's own existence, and admitting that it is and maybe always will be a mystery, is acceptable. I believe that my spiritual seeking is a natural and integral part of who I am. I am glad for it even if I do get lost and don’t find the answers I seek. If I am as open and honest as I can be, many other answers and much growth can come along that path nonetheless. I think spirituality is a path that one must find and walk for themselves as we all start and end life in different places and are perhaps seeking different things. It can be a confusing and at times lonely and fearful journey, and can be very tempting to cling to the simplicity and safety of a well defined road that others promise will lead to the destination we seek. While religions can provide us with such a sense of certainty, I believe we accept that comfort at great risk. If the answers these religious dogmas provide don’t in the end lead to the answer we seek, then they become a wall that holds us in and stops us on our journey to find them. Personally, I don’t think any of the roads created by mankind will lead back to God in the end. My spirituality takes me on a path that goes off these road and leads inward, this is where I believe I will eventually find myself, the universe, and God, and that when I do, I will understand that all along they were one.

"How terrible for you, teachers of the Law and Pharisees! You hypocrites! You lock the door to the Kingdom of heaven in people's faces, but you yourselves don't go in, nor do you allow in those who are trying to enter! “ Matt 23:13
Old 31-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthat
Religions usually have priests or priestesses who are authorised to teach and places dedicated to worship.
Spirituality has no need for intermediaries between ourselves and the Divine. There is also no need to go to a church or a mosque or a temple to commune with the Divine - we can do that anywhere.

Many spiritual paths still have authorized figures in the form of guru's and ''enlightened'' masters. This person very much is an intermediary to help the student connect (properly) to the divine. They have special places too, sanghas or ashrams, places kept pure, literally..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthat
The religious person tends to look outwards for Truth.
The spiritual person tends to look inwards for Truth.

This is a bit needless. Buddhism and Jainism are generally seen as religious, yet they look more inwards..
Then we have various individualized pagan paths, that won't be official religions, that may look mostly outwards..

In the end most people concerned with 'spirituality' do both..

You are creating more dichotomies and hierarchies but there's no practical need for it.. ;-)
Old 31-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Master
Hello,

The lines drawn are those drawn by the individual.

If religion is the practice, then spirituality is the living of it/life.

Both, can become institutionalized. This can lead into lines being drawn and/or seperation. But, the tw can go hand in hand.

If an individual or a group practice/exercise a ritual of some kind to gain further insight and connection with the divine ( however it may be termed), then to me this is being religious in some way.

Religious being teaching/preaching ways, how, and what in regards to spiritual matters and seem more structured.

Religious is not bad in and of itself if it truly guides and give one a sense of connection. If one does not follow a religious practice, then what's the big deal?

When either religion or Spirituality become institutionalizedand becomes more focused upon protecting the institution, then I feel conflicts occur.

Both, can work in unity if one focuses on the intent of being more connected with life and it's flows, IMO.

Spirit allows however one may travel. The individual has the choice as to what direction to take and what to accept and reject for oneself, IMO.

Religion is created by humans for humans. Spirituality is life and already created and continues in its manifestations an flow. Is what comes to me.

Some thoughts on this at present
Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Many spiritual paths still have authorized figures in the form of guru's and ''enlightened'' masters. This person very much is an intermediary to help the student connect (properly) to the divine. They have special places too, sanghas or ashrams, places kept pure, literally..

This is a bit needless. Buddhism and Jainism are generally seen as religious, yet they look more inwards..
Then we have various individualized pagan paths, that won't be official religions, that may look mostly outwards..

You are creating more dichotomies and hierarchies but there's no practical need for it.. ;-)

What you say is true . We tend to begin the spiritual journey by looking to external authorities, gurus, masters for guidance. We go to ashrams for the spiritual environment and spiritual company. But eventually we look within for our own spiritual authority. Our own Higher Self becomes the guru. We do not need to visit ashrams because we create our own spiritual environment wherever we are. Our home becomes the ashram, the room where we meditate becomes our cave in the Himalayas, the entire world becomes our field of spiritual expression.

Some would argue that Buddhism is a philosophy not a religion. I suggest that there is exoteric Buddhism for the masses, and people spin their prayer wheels and go to temples to worship and pray before statues. This has all the flavour of a religion. And then there is esoteric Buddhism which goes inwards and does not need all the external stuff.

Regarding the question of religion vs spirituality, there is obviously an overlap between the two. So some people are religious without being particularly spiritual, others are spiritual within a particular religious context, and others are spiritual without considering themselves as any religion.

Peace.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:40 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I suggest that there is exoteric Buddhism for the masses, and people spin their prayer wheels and go to temples to worship and pray before statues. This has all the flavour of a religion. And then there is esoteric Buddhism which goes inwards and does not need all the external stuff.

I'd forgotten about this; thanks, yes there is a cultural side to Buddhism and then there is what the Buddha really taught. Using forms and symbols is not at odds, but the inner work is where the alchemy happens.

What the Buddha taught by Walpola Rahula is a good starting point.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackfoxNZ
It has come to my attention over the past few months that the line between what is called religion and what is called spiritual is very blurred or not a line at all,
Religion to me is the belief of a single being/god or gods/beings which create and control and people worship.
Whereas spiritual I see as the experiences of things which are not physical but not a specific being more as things like energy work, different races of beings, mediumship etc,

The problem I see is people calling themselves spiritual but then going on to say they believe in god or a god/gods which in my view is religious not spiritual,

Another problem I see is when people just listen to others on what to believe and then use their imagination to project experience of what they called god but most often can be false and be from a lack of feeling safe and wanting to be seen a certain way in the eyes of others
So religion in this way could be defined as the beliefs taken from someone else and spirituality is the experience of the person disconnected from the opinions and beliefs of others,

While their are people who are spiritual and may well have been in contact with a high level being, I can accept that, but I will ask what makes this being which you contacted a so called god, many spirits I have encountered have their own intentions, and they will and do trick people into believing that they are some helping being while using they emotionally unstablility to manipulate people into staying locked inside their emotions and chasing pleasure, this is something I have encountered and I too accept it will not be the case for everyone, I found that only when you put the emotions aside and view the actions and question them and yourself, questioning yourself on everything including thoughts is the most important thing to figure out what you are doing is you and what is something else manipulating you.

Any thoughts and opinions are welcomed
Greetings.

I feel that Religion is when God wants to meet with people in a "public setting" and Spirituality is when God wants to share His presence in a more "private setting".

As humans are social creatures who tend to gather into tribes of "like-mindedness", Religions were established to gather these tribes (like Judah, Sanatan etc) under certain labels/banners and give them all stylised methodology called Dharma...Religion!

Spirituality is a matter for ones own personal heart...it is their most "intimate" relationship with the Divine Essence which may/not resonate with any stylised belief system. Those who are Spiritual seek personal and individual liberty.

One can also be both Religious AND spiritual.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Religion is going to church on Sundays to find God, Spirituality is when you find him inside you. Spirituality is the 'what' and religion is the 'how'. Spirituality becomes emergent - unless you can't get past the ideologies and theologies.