Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > General

Old 06-09-2013, 04:37 AM
homiealien1

What does this mean?

Hi, I'm new to this community. I have some questions regarding a few pieces of artwork by Alex Grey. The first one is titled 'Despair' and the second 'Endarkment'. What is going on in these paintings? What are these evil spirits, what are their functions, what religion/spirituality do they fit in with? What do you make of them? Thank you, please let me know your thoughts. I couldn't post them because I am new.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Master

The pain of life, which is not demons or spirits but is emotional pain inside. It's very beautiful to me. I believe in allowing ourselves to feel the hurt inside instead of running away from it to a spiritual place. It's easy to run but hard to face it.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiealien1
Hi, I'm new to this community. I have some questions regarding a few pieces of artwork by Alex Grey. The first one is titled 'Despair' and the second 'Endarkment'. What is going on in these paintings? What are these evil spirits, what are their functions, what religion/spirituality do they fit in with? What do you make of them? Thank you, please let me know your thoughts. I couldn't post them because I am new.

homiealine1 - I am not familiar with Alex Grey, but in looking at these two paintings and from personal experience, I would only guess that the use of the skeletal figure represents some sort of death of self or an aspect of self. I painted a picture that had a rotting woman figure along with a skeleton and both represented a dying of the self I was familiar with and complete death after a tremendous loss I experienced in life. Morbid figures used by artists are very strong symbols even if they are disturbing to others.

Blackraven
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
homiealine1 - I am not familiar with Alex Grey, but in looking at these two paintings and from personal experience, I would only guess that the use of the skeletal figure represents some sort of death of self or an aspect of self. I painted a picture that had a rotting woman figure along with a skeleton and both represented a dying of the self I was familiar with and complete death after a tremendous loss I experienced in life. Morbid figures used by artists are very strong symbols even if they are disturbing to others.

Blackraven

I took a look at his gallery with the two mentioned, and they are the darker of most of his works, but I immediately liked them - I think that his other similar works, like 'Headache', 'Insomnia,' etc., it gave a feeling of the artist being in commiseration with all those who've experienced these things personally. It's torture to go through them and it's a message of compassion, from where I'm standing.

Btw, Blackraven, I meant to say I'd enjoy seeing your artwork, if you haven't posted the one you mentioned.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Master
http://alexgrey.com/art/paintings/soul/endarkenment/

Here's a link to his gallery.

Interesting info on him on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Grey

Old 15-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Master
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I took a look at his gallery with the two mentioned, and they are the darker of most of his works, but I immediately liked them - I think that his other similar works, like 'Headache', 'Insomnia,' etc., it gave a feeling of the artist being in commiseration with all those who've experienced these things personally. It's torture to go through them and it's a message of compassion, from where I'm standing.

Btw, Blackraven, I meant to say I'd enjoy seeing your artwork, if you haven't posted the one you mentioned.

Hi Silvergirl. It took me a while to figure out flickr. Here are just a few of my paintings. The more unusual ones I don't typically show.

Go to this website:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treehenge/

Blackraven
Old 15-09-2013, 09:35 PM
livingkarma

Magnificient & quite captivating!

I was about to post the link for wikipedia, but I see Silvergirl did so above ...