Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

View Poll Results: How useful is this information to you?
Extremely useful to me 8 53.33%
Somewhat useful to me 5 33.33%
Not at all useful to me 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Master
Fish Day 4 "Only the Changeless is Real"

Today Sri Vasudeva used the logic of our time-based "reality" - that anything which gets destroyed can't be real. His logic is that time is a measure of change, and that anything that changes cannot be real. Consciousness is real because it's eternal and unchanging, it's the essence of everything.
Quote:
"In the prayer we are asking Asatoma, to lead me away from that asat, that false way of seeing which we call the Maya. And Satgamaye. In the Satgamaye is Sat and the meaning of Sat is the changeless, that which never changes, that which exists continuously as the same – eternally existing, or existence itself, unchanging. That is what Sat is. Sometimes we refer to it as Truth. Truth is that which stands for all times, unchanging. That’s absolutely Truth.
These are just words for an experience that is literally beyond words.

The wordy world we live in that is Maya (illusion) is time-based. The god representing time is Kala "time" and the goddess is Kali "destruction" because everything that is time-based and unreal is ultimately destroyed (and recycled). From the point of view of mysticism, a god is a type of consciousness (a part of the larger capital "C" Consciousness made up of all the types of consciousness put together) and a goddess is the energy produced by that consciousness, its shakti "power". Hence everything from a Tantric perspective can be reduced to a type of consciousness (Shiva) and the energy it produces (Shakti). This is why there are thousands of Hindu gods - they are all classifications and subclassifications of the One Consciousness. (That's one of the reasons this is more a science than a religion.) This is a digression from the talk but it took me forever to figure this out so here it is. Sri Vasudeva said that Hindus worship Kali the destroyer, in supplication, to ask for protection from the ravages of time. As an amateur astrologer, I find this fascinating - and that I suppose "fastens" me to this unreal world a bit more than I need to be.

Experiencing Changeless Reality

For me a really interesting part of today's talk was in the guided meditation part of it, because I get it that this world is not my reality. I have totally embraced that belief and I have even experienced it.
My goal is to experience more and more and more until it's permanently part of my awareness (without losing the Maya either so I can be immanent as well as transcendent).
I love the way he uses the guided meditation to help us to integrate the morning's message and take it to the next level. For me this was my most useful takeaway. Here's an example:
Quote:
"At the end of the in-breath at the end of the out-breath, observe when there is no change in that pause. Observe the peace that you feel. Do not breathe in quickly after the out-breath, just allow yourself to pause in a very natural way because you are consciously breathing. Only when you need to breathe in and the body pushes you to breathe in, then breathe in. And while you’re taking the in-breath or you’re breathing out just observe the life of that in-breath or the timeline of the in-breath and the out-breath," SV

I don't think people give enough value to this little hints and techniques he is dropping here and there in the guided meditations. There is a whole science about breathing called pranayama (control of the prana/chi/subtle life force) in the breath. And special attention is given to the pauses between breathing in and breathing out, called Kumbhaka. In deep meditation the breath stops all by itself as the meditator enters into what is known as the "breathless state". In that state the highly advanced yogi may live on prana alone not needing to breathe at all. Such is possible.

When I start to go deep in meditation I prefer not breathing. I hold my breath and there is more "room" for the energy to move around. The thoughts also go quiet when there is less breathing. So this is a technique, and a technique is just a way of recreating an experience that would happen naturally in a deep state of consciousness awareness. When the body wants to breathe, I allow it to - I never do anything in meditation that would stress out the body.

I remember watching a documentary about this man who could hold his breath under water (sitting cross-legged in meditation) for so long he really impressed the dolphins who swam around him in a friendly way (dolphins can hold their breath for 5 hours). While it's interesting that we can even do this - mind over matter...and swimmers like Hill Taylor use it to go faster - I doubt very much that this practice creates enlightenment. A technique does not enlightenment bring, grace does that, with the help of a master.

---------------------------------
temporary link to the live talks and meditations happening now, next one at 3pm Trinidad (EST) time[/quote]
Old 29-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Master
Fish more tips! - continued from last post

That thing I wrote about hints in the meditation...where Sri Vasudeva gave us a very powerful practice of using breath awareness and using present moment awareness to stay in that centre of consciousness. He also brought this up again in the Sacred Conversations. This is so fantastic I had to share it... there are subtle shifts in consciousness at each stage simply in observing breath, thought and the process while meditating:

Quote:
Can you view change from a changeless place? That's the idea. And can the view of change take you more into the awareness of changelessness? Like this morning I asked you to look at the breath. Can you use something that is constantly changing [such] that you can come into a place, you begin to observe it and say, "You know, the body is really breathing, but I've just observed it," and then there's another shift.

And when the breath finishes and you come to a pause, suddenly there could be a shift in consciousness there. "The breath has stopped but I feel this deep peace there," or "I feel as though everything has stopped. My mind has stopped. Everything is silent. And all I'm experiencing is just pure being."

And then a thought starts again but I'm watching this thought and I can see what I'm experiencing as it comes into my being and I'm watching how it ends. It is my being in which it is arising, I'm observing it in my being and it ends and my being continues. I'm observing the evolution of something from a place where I can observe its evolution.

And if you were to look at this observation of change and we find ourselves gradually seeing the change more and more from a changeless place, then there's an evolution in that process as well that what has changed is my perception. My perception has evolved. The way I'm seeing has evolved.

Sri Vasudeva
I counted so many opportunities in all of that!

Watching the breath move is a way to make a shift in consciousness.
Watching the breath stop is a way to make a shift in consciousness.
There are four of those.
Watching the thought EVOLVE is a way to make a shift in consciousness.
Evolution of a thought - what a concept! Think about it! Where does it come from? How does it change? Where does it end up?

And then the last part I really needed to read a couple of times: to look at the OBSERVATION of change... Think about that one! It's being mindful of the process whilst observing. So there are three things in one here - thinking, observing and observing the observing! Are you still with me? It's gets even better...

At the very end he says, "My perception has evolved. The way I'm seeing has evolved." This is mindfulness meditation at its best (not the kind the psychotherapists are teaching). This is the one that takes me into layers and layers and layers of observation. Even the observation of the observation of the observation ends up teaching me a new way of perceiving life. It takes me into a new dimension, a new vantage point.

There is a lot of subtly in his teachings.
A lot of things can be missed if you don't read his words carefully.
This I have learned after transcribing so many of his workshops.
When he answers one person's question, he is also answering for an entire audience. Why? Because he is channeling from Source, so he is responding to every need in the space. Now that is masterful observation!

Last edited by Uma : 30-03-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 30-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Master
Fish Day 5 Our True Self is Boundless and Free

Today Sri Vasudeva stayed with the topic of Consciousness, to bring more clarity to the idea of what Consciousness is - so this was an especially useful and foundational message. It left me thinking...

How can I grasp the ungraspable? How can I fathom the unfathomable? His message today tied together so many workshops of previous years in its profound simplicity. I cannot experience my boundless and free Higher Self (Pure Consciousness) with my mind because mind is a product of it so my mind has to stop - long enough for me to establish a connection with Source (Pure Consciousness) to transport me into the portal and port-hole of this dimensionless dimension.

Otherwise I am stuck in a box of mind-Maya-illusion:

wordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswords wordswords
thoughts .................................................. ................................thoughts
thoughts .................................................. ................................thoughts
thoughts ...................................... ........................................thoughts
wordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswords wordswords

As soon as I think a thought, it tries to pull me out of this gorgeous fluffy cloud space. How do I anchor myself in that boundless formless space? I have to stop thinking. I have to go into receptive mode. Just be open to receive......................

Quote:
"The goal is to observe the conscious experience, or the experience of conscious being" SV
Observing is not the same thing as thinking.
Yet it engages mind.
And the ultimate step is to observe the observer.

I remember standing in a hospital room when someone I loved was fighting for their life and my body is in panic mode so I put on some soft music and I kind of went out of body for a moment and got into this peaceful happy place just observing orderlies pushing stretchers and nurses walking around with needles and it's all so not real, I'm not affected by it anymore. I'm somewhere else and yet I'm standing right here, just looking.

In meditation do I need to wait for panic to push me into making that shift? I am observing my poor posture so my body is giving me issues. Then my "to do" list unravels in my head and I'm observing it without trying to read it. Then a feeling of revulsion comes out of my chest dragging a bad memory with it. And I'm watching all of this commotion praying for some angelic energy to fly me away from all of this but it doesn't come, it doesn't happen for me. So I stop meditating and know I have a lot of homework to do in the world of Maya.

I am not identifying with my body. I am not identifying with my thoughts and emotions, yet my mind is still not at peace so I end the meditation unfulfilled and more annoyed than before. So it's my "I" that's the culprit here, and this one is much harder to observe. This one emerges from the deepest space in me. This one sows the seeds that sprout into words and images shrieking for attention, distracting me.

Meditation begins in the way I observe myself acting in the world while I am doing that and it ends in the sitting meditation practice where I reap the fruits. So it's 24/7, meditation practice must be 24/7 practice - 24 hours a day 7 days a week meditate-meditate-meditate. That boundless space of freedom should be my cocoon of power that carries me throughout my day and into my night/knight.

Did you notice in all those wordswordswordswordswords above that a new word appears? It is the word sword. And I am reminded of Kali, the destructive energy of time, wielding her sword and cutting off heads. Well that's what I need to do every time then. And the time to do this is whenever I am triggered. Life presents me with lots of opportunities to use my sword:
Quote:
"We have a chance to experience the freedom state in the consciousness. That possibility is there every time we are faced with limitation – the mind contracts or emotional being contracts or we get caught up in the body. Every time that happens we have a chance to move back and say “I want to experience freedom in my consciousness. I do not want to be caught in the limitation of the thought, an idea, or emotion or the body.” SV
So I take my sword and I chop off this thought, this emotion, this body reaction at its root, the ego - I behead it. And I do that by getting centered as much as I can in my happy place - in that mind-free space that I go to for intuition, and wait for a more inspired wisdom-idea to emerge and if it's a good one, if it's coming from Source, it should make me feel expanded, it should bring up qualities closer to infinite peace, unconditional love, endless vitality - these are the spiritual qualities of Pure Consciousness. And if it is coming from that place, then my sword knows what to do, automatically.

Turning words into swords....the dark knight that is Maya, my friend on the journey.

---------------------------------
temporary link to the live talks and meditations happening now, next one at 3pm Trinidad (EST) time[/quote][/quote]
Old 31-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Master
Fish Day 6 The Super-sensory Joy of the Self

Today on Day 6 of the 2017 40 Day Observance Sri Vasudeva came to my favourite subject, ANANDA - that bliss or ecstasy that is the grace of God and the whole point of working so hard to become self-realized.

I cannot describe this experience as well as it is described in this piece of scripture:
Quote:
25. Manah prat-yak-citte
savidha-mava-dhāyātta-marutah,
Prahrsyad-romānah
pramada-salilot-sangita-drshah;

Yadā-lokyāh-lādam
hrada iva nimaj-jyā-mrtamaye,
Dadhatyantas-tattvam
kimapi yaminas-tat kila bhavān.

You are indeed that unspeakable truth which yogīs realize through meditating on the Self and controlling the breath according to the directions laid down in the scriptures. Realizing this truth, they experience thrills of ecstasy and their eyes brim with tears of joy; swimming in a pool of nectar, they enjoy inner bliss.

Siva Mahimna Stotram v.25, trans. The Nectar of Chanting, SYDA Foundation
That's a high I could use right about now.
How does this experience compare to anything else? It does not. It is beyond comparison.
Quote:
"The truth is when the maya disappears we’ll realize that we already own everything, that we own the universe, that we do not need to acquire things. The maya holds us in the idea of acquisition of things, property acquisition. In our search for joy we get caught in the search for pleasure. Maya holds us in the pleasure journey whereas the Self, the experience of joy has nothing to do with sensory pleasure. Caught in the Maya we go after ordinary knowledge, we go after ordinary acquisition. We get caught in time. We become a slave to time. And we get caught in pleasure seeking all of which never fulfills us. Not the ordinary knowledge, not the pleasure of the senses, not the acquisition of material things – they never fulfill us."
Sri Vasudeva, 2017 Day 6
I rest my case.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Master
Fish Day 7 "In Essence We are One"

Today's message with all its interesting metaphors about light bulbs and wireless mobile devices and the fantastic hints in the meditation, made me think about fiber optics - a rainbow of optical fibers all lit up from the same source as this image expresses to me the essence of today's message:

We've all heard it before "We are One" and the reaction is "so what"? Sri Vasudeva spoke about the solution to end all intrapersonal, interpersonal conflicts and wars as well. We simply wouldn't hurt each other if we knew for certain that everything we are exists only because of one Source lighting us all up.

So in the meditation, again integrating the day's message fabulously into practice, he took us through a journey in the chakras because in each chakra the Source exists. If you go deep enough in meditation into a chakra you will end up in that expansive awareness of "I am Infinite Being", just follow the chakra back to its Source. And that's the core place that unites us all.
Quote:
"It’s in opening up our heart that we can experience the heart of the Universe, that we can lift the veil of Maya. It’s in opening up our minds to a deeper consciousness of Self that the Maya will be lifted through grace," SV
and he also said focusing on the navel chakra:
Quote:
"Observe what happens when you breathe into the belly area opening up to the vital energy there. You begin to feel a connection with every cell in the body," SV
In that observing of the navel chakra, we bring the focusing power of the brow and the immune-system boosting power of love from the heart down into the physical body - so really every chakra is being engaged. But I'm sure he will go more into the chakra discussion later on as he does every year.

There is lots to be gained from the process of going within even before the big final liberating enlightenment and he spoke about those things too. But in unveiling energy - Maya - that's the space of MAXIMUM power and freedom - it's the space that gives us everything because it's the same core of the entire universe - of the subtle energy body of the entire universe that is within the physical universe. So focusing on any one chakra can take you there, anything you focus on can take you there - but of course it's the brow that develops the power to focus/concentrate.

Sometimes I think I am limited to focusing on the brow chakra, but no of course not, and today he reminded me that ANY chakra can take me to Source Consciousness. The act of focusing means that my brow chakra is going to be engaged anyway. Grace will open the glass ceiling that I keep bumping into, when I've earned it. In the meantime focus focus focus...

----------------
temporary link to the live talks and meditations happening now, next one at 3pm Trinidad (EST) time
Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Master
Fish Day 8 Maya - The Universe in Play

Today Sri Vasudeva gave a recap of the week's messages so I'm going to give a recap of my week's sharings:

Day 1 Day1 Maya - the dream realities
Day 2 Day 2 Investigating the nature of Consciousness
Day 3 Day 3 Consciousness as Essence, Immanent & Transcendent
Day 4 Day 4 Only the Changeless is Real; more tips! - continued
Day 5 Day 5 Our True Self is Boundless and Free
Day 6 Day 6 The Super-sensory Joy of the Self
Day 7 Day 7 "In Essence We are One"

My posts are not an abstract of his writings, more the fluctuations I am going through as I process what is happening to me as he takes us through a multi-dimensional experience that works on all of my chakras in various ways.

Today for instance he spoke about the five cosmic powers in the play of Maya: creation, sustenance, dissolution, concealment, and grace. It's the grace one I'm most interested in. So I ignore the rest. Anyone who wants to know about the others needs to listen to his talk as I'm not here to give you the fast-food version.

Sri Vasudeva said that he has been chanting selected verses of the Sri Guru Gita scripture (from a core section of 352 sutras in the latter portion of the Skanda Purana) that he says explains very clearly the technique of using the Guru to get out of the Maya into that wisdom space of seeing clearly in order to master oneself and the Maya:
Quote:
"Guru Gita is a marvellous text that explains to you how to relate to that one who can take us out of the Maya. It says very clearly that one is beyond the Maya: Dvandvātītam gaganasadrśam – beyond the duality as vast as the sky; Brahmānandam paramasukhadam – the one who lives in that joyous bliss of Self and is the bestower of happiness (v.89). The Guru Gita says look at where the master lives, look carefully! And it says to pattern yourself after the master. It says that by meditating on where the master really is and where the master is really operating from, you’ll become the master!...That’s why I’ve chanted that since 1975. That has become my favourite scripture or song... It is the song of the master, the wise one," Sri Vasudeva 4/2/17
I had a look at my translation of verse 89 where it reads:
Quote:
"I bow to the Sadguru, who is the bliss of Brahman and the bestower of the highest joy. He is absolute. He is knowledge personified. He is beyond duality, (all pervasive) like the sky, and the object of (the great Upanishadic statement) “Thou art That”. He is one. He is eternal. He is pure. He is steady. He is witness of all thoughts. He is beyond all modifications (of mind and body) and free from the three gunas." Nectar of Chanting, SYF transl.
But Sri Vasudeva is giving us its truest, its deeper meaning:
"By meditating on where the master really is and where the master is really operating from, you’ll become the master!"

WHERE THE MASTER IS,
not the master
The master is the message, he roles models to us what means to live in that pure space of the self-realized "I" and clear seeing of the awakened "eye". But the true Guru is not the physical person as he teaches over and over again. The True Guru is the power of God within, manifesting as Kundalini, that is the true Self or Krishna or Christ or Buddha within all of us. And to push aside all these prejudiced preconceptions that have come from all these religions, what this is really all about is getting into the TRANSCENDENTAL SPACE OF THE MASTER.

THAT SPACE IS THE TRUE HOME OF THE TRUE GURU.
So Guru in its most splendid, cosmic sense, is neither a person nor an energy but a CONSCIOUSNESS - and a consciousness that transports the soul into a new SPACE that is beyond the dimensions.

Never ever take scripture literally. Otherwise it is just another manifestation of Maya. The truth is in the experience. No one can hand it to you on a silver plate. You have to work for it.

This much I know.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Master
Fish Day 9 "Day 9 Energy Weaves the Veil of Maya"

Today Sri Vasudeva explained in a few minutes how the entire Universe came into being out of Consciousness and Energy and contracted into a coiled form as Kundalini concealing itself into matter. It was a universe of information packed tightly into a very brief talk. And since the meditation that followed was an integration of the talk, I needed to replay it over and over again so my inner observer was extremely busy. But what a meditation - sublime...mmmmmmmmm!

Consciousness becoming energy becoming matter through the formation of mind, senses and the classical elements...that's the story of INVOLUTION...and the story of life, facilitated by meditation, is the story of deconstructing all of that, uncoiling all of that, unveiling all of that, which is EVOLUTION:
Quote:
"In this contracted form of the Universe this Consciousness has become limited and it resides in it, it supports it, inside of this [human body in a] very involved process. There where it resides as we say “sleeping” or “latent” it’s called Kundalini. That Kundalini energy is residing at the heart of the Universe after having become so involved with all of this. In its residence there it’s sleeping waiting to ascend once again, to move away from the contracted consciousness to begin to expand the consciousness,"
Sri Vasudeva 4/3/17
In the heart of the Universe in my very own root chakra.

The meditation was an exploratory experience of the unveiling from gross to subtle to transcendent. Let me try to remember it...

First focusing on the gross classical elements in the body, the physical earth, water, fire, air and space, noticing the heaviness of the body (that's "earth"), the water (stuff like salva and blood - do you ever notice your blood flowing in meditation?), fire (lots of heat in my cells), air (and I'm moving breath up and down to balance the energies, as he suggested),hearing (very noisy) and space - that sense of a field of energy holding it all together. That was first time around. Later focusing in on the gross level I became aware of the rooster on the recording softly crowing "wake up wake up wake up" and the thought came up, this is coming from Trinidad travelling to my ear through a digitized sound wave that went up to a satellite somewhere orbiting Earth and down into my computer, up along the wire and into my ears...a wave from the past. And I noticed that where I was sitting I could hear the steady rhythm of hammering from outside in the neighbourhood. A lot to notice even at a gross level, the level of atoms/matter, the तन्मात्र tanmatras...and observing now how my minds interprets these through the senses इन्द्रिय indryias to tell me what each sense is through an intellectual process ज्ञानेन्द्रिय jyanendryias.

So in meditation we are teasing away each thing, separating each layer with very fine tweezers of observation...splitting the atom...

Next in the meditation noticing the subtle senses: clairvoyant seeing, clairaudient hearing, clairsentient touch, clairsense smell, clairgustance taste - all those forms of the senses that come to us in dreams when there is no external stimulai, or when we develop psychic abilities like seeing auras and chakras and guides and things. All of these "clairs" are also part of the Maya, not absolute truth. Psychic senses are not the same as the clarity of enlightened vision. To experience the transcendent state we need to move beyond this level of supersensible observation.

Next observing the three parts of the mind: manas (thinking and feeling), buddhi (intellect), ahamkara (the "I" that is observing immanent/involved/doing).

By this point in observation my Kundalini has become really active and is supporting me, taking me further, deeper like a soft duvet that is a magic blanket carrying me deeper into myself so sweetly. Observing now becomes more effortless, as less of what I think I am drops away and the Inner Guru, guided by the outer Guru's melodious voice, welcomes me into my inner sanctum.

Finally I reach what is the "backdrop" of everything, that is Consciousness, the transcendent observing "I". It is there just out of my grasp - that beautiful white light of pure Non-doing Beingness. My mind fights me furiously trying to stay with the thoughts that are floating up and to distract me with all these sense objects in my immediate surroundings and that Trini rooster crowing in my ear. I don't want to think, but my "I don't want" is my ego and as soon as my ego pipes in, I am sucked away from that bliss of non-doing back down, down, down into my gross "reality" - still intoxicated from the waves of Kundalini.

So this was my process this morning. And there are many gems of wisdom in the talk that I'm sure is going to generate a lot of discussion at the Sacred Conversations (see below).

------------------------------------------------------------
temporary link to the live talks and meditations happening now, next one at 3pm Trinidad (EST) time
Old 03-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Master
Fish Should I continue or stop with these posts?

I've written quite a lot on the subject and I'm wondering whether there is any value in my continuing to make new posts. I could just as easily write in my private journal than post here. Please let me know here or by PM if it is useful to you that I continue to share more of my personal journey here or what kind of content you'd like to see. I'll let you decide.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:41 AM
Deactivated Account
i think its cool that your posting all this stuff. i just read most of post 281. it makes perfect sense to me. about shiva, shakti, recycling, and whats real never changes. awesome!

shakti can be the key to always being in that expereince. you drink it, feel it, again, and again. at some point it sticks somewhere in u. from their she(you) eats whats left up over time. perhaps years. leaving u being her. in sleep. in meditation. in life. there is nothing but her cause its u.

currently she is eating my skull where i have still have clearing going on.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 04-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Master
I get a lot out of this thread, Uma, and I always make sure to check it out if you've posted a new message, so please do continue if you feel compelled to do so